Are you buying insurance on the phone?

RT55

Reaction score
Is it worth it to get the insurance plan? I usually change my phones in a year anyway.

LaGgY_42o

Reaction score
yes, at the very least get the $1.99 extended warrenty. My DX has screwed up and im on my 3rd replacement and since I have the insurance they send me the replacement free overnight then I just drop my old one back in the same box, slap the pre-paid 2 day shipping label that was included onto the box and throw it to fedex. For $2 a month extra its worth it lol.

busab

Reaction score
I didn't get insurance when I ordered it. But I might still take out insurance on it. You have 30 days from the date of purchase to decide.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have access to an Amex card (e.g., like the one Costco provides) use that to buy it and you'll double the manuf. warranty up to an additional year. A two year warranty will cover you until you replace it w/the next generation...

Buying warranties is almost always considered by consumer reports and other consumer-oriented organizations to be a bad use of your money, and pure profit for the retailer...unless you have a really bad history of consistently breaking/losing devices, I'd skip it. It's a personal decision, and some people just must have the "peace of mind," they feel an extended warranty provides, but for the vast majority of purchasers it's a waste of money...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
nope, i have no history of any accidents involving my phone.

had no idea about the amex card, thanks Redflea!:hail:

karte

Reaction score
nope, i have no history of any accidents involving my phone.

had no idea about the amex card, thanks Redflea!:hail:
my Amex refunded the money I paid to purchase a Garmin navigation when it got stolen from my car. they have this policy for 90 days after purchase, but I didn't know they have 1 year extended warranty on purchases. God to know, thanks.

marcosv

Reaction score
Is it worth it to get the insurance plan? I usually change my phones in a year anyway.

Yup. I sign up for both extended warranty and the replacement insurance.

I had to swap out my Droid X twice in 14 months due to busted home button and busted mic/headphone jack. A friend of mine swapped out her Droid 2 for hardware issues. That's one of the reasons why I'm switching away from a Motorola phone. Since I'll be stuck on a 2-year contract with Verizon, I'm getting the extended warranty for year two coverage.

If I ever lose my phone or get water damage, getting a replacement phone for $85 deductible is cheaper than buying a phone close to full price. A friend of mine drowned her phone in her purse (leaking water bottle). Another friend had her phone drenched in water --- phone on the table and someone knocked over a glass of water...

It's a pity that State Farm no longer writes personal article policies for cell phones --- cheapest $30 annual coverage around. I haven't looked at other non-Verizon insurance options.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I never do but I might on this one. My Thunderbolts screen shattered a few months ago and I tried doing the screen replacement myself, and I almost spend $100 in parts. Eventually I used the insurance on one of the other lines on my account and got it through there, but it's too much hassle.

1ceFiend

Reaction score
I always get insurance, and always use it. I can be a little hard on my phones. I have a bad feeling about how this is going to last in construction sites, I think I foresee a broken screen. The OG is tough, but it sounds like new phones are wimpier, despite the stronger glass :/ Asurion has replaced my OG with pretty much no questions asked. $50 and I have a new phone. I hope I can still keep the $50 fee...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking from experience (my water bottle leaked in my bag over the weekend and drowned my beloved Inc), I'm going to get insurance from now on. That sort of thing can happen at any time. I was fortunate that it happened right as my NE2 was up (VZW moved the date up a month and a half for me though) but if it had been earlier in my contract I would have been out of luck. Water damage isn't covered under warranty.