Are you afraid that....

cp24eva

Reaction score
HTC might not give us the support that other phones MIGHT get? I mean, the phone is great right now. But I keep reading people talking about HTC's history with updates is crappy and that we could be getting left in the dust of other phones. Do you think this is true? Do you even care at the moment? I just dont want to be wowing at other android users when we could possibly have the same things or better going on.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
As a root'er/rom'er I have no fear about HTC not supporting this phone. I have more fear that devs will get frustrated with this bootloader issue and shy away from this phone in favor of one easier to work with.

kparks

Reaction score
What ur reading about is people have no clue what there talking about.... lol I just posted this in another thread. HTC and moto are leading the pack in updates and device support.. they dropped the ball slightly on the bolt HTC said late q3 and it came out in late q3 but had problems and was 1month late big deal. The problem was everyone was buying into all the rumors spreading around and don't forget the the bolt was a first for HTC and vzw..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I everything I've been reading makes it sound like HTC is already working hard on get ICS ready for early 2012. Some stories even suggest early January, so we should be well supported.

Now give us s -off!!!!!

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
I hope all these statement are true. Not to try and compare, but with Apple, they have ONE phone to get right. With HTC and MOTO, these guys have tons of phones on different carriers. I sure hope they have the support they need to make this a highly successful phone.

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
HTC just updated the Incredible 1 to gingerbread. Sometimes they may be slow, but they get the updates out :)

... that aside, the devs will offer great support regardless :)

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Well, I just hope that the companies have a minimum of 2.5 year from the time of the phones release. You figure in 6 months there will be other new phones out and people wont care to buy a rezound at that point. Those who already have it will still need support until their contract is up. I wonder what they're long term support scheme looks like.

dzone67

Reaction score
Don't doubt it, we got treated like dirt from HTC.

Sent from a forgotten phone... I mean HTC Thunderbolt.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Other than forums (which aren't a great source) is there a place where a dev team representative comes on and says what they have in store for X phone in the coming months? Not the figure heads relaying the message. I say again, at this point there isn't much that needs to be fixed with the rezound. Maybe a battery life tweak and and data usage fix.

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
Other than forums (which aren't a great source) is there a place where a dev team representative comes on and says what they have in store for X phone in the coming months? Not the figure heads relaying the message. I say again, at this point there isn't much that needs to be fixed with the rezound. Maybe a battery life tweak and and data usage fix.

XDA forums. Their development forums are great for each phone, and most every dev there will tell you what you have in store. Granted there is also a lot of drama there, but that's a given with a site so big *shrug*

...data usage fix..? and I've had better battery life than my bionic because of not struggling for a connection to the network lol. 14 hours yesterday with a 20% bump charge mid-day :)

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
The data thing I'm talking about is when I am on wifi I will go to wake my phone, only to notice my data might have went up about .003 or something when I didn't do anything nor receive anything and don't have weather updates on or no auto app updates. And battery life, well I can't complain too much about it. I just wish it was better. You are right though, the bionic was a drain on me. Hence why I am at the rezound right now.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The thing to remember is that companies like HTC are in business to sell new phones. That is what they do, that is how they pay the bills and make investors happy. They give enough support to a phone so as not to hurt sales, and that's it.

Cell phones move too quickly. By the time a new phone ships to market, it's replacement is already in beta testing phase. We have at best a 6 month product cycle, and they make their money by creating and selling NEW phones, not supporting old "outdated" ones. And because every manufacturer does this, it doesn't really hurt sales because it isn't like you can go somewhere else and get better treatment.

Gingerbread's code was released a year ago. The TBolt just got it a few weeks ago officially, about 2 weeks before ICS was released. Part of that is the fault of HTC, but the rest is on VZW. If they just took the new code from HTC and pushed it out, people could have had it months ago. But VZW has to load it all up with bloat, which takes time, has to be tested, fixed, etc... And even when they released it, it was still crap and had to be pulled back and took another month, etc...

Carriers need to just sell the phones as the manufacturers send them, and let the new code come from them. But because companies pay VZW millions of dollars to pre-load all they crappy bloat in there, they hold things up.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing to remember is that companies like HTC are in business to sell new phones. That is what they do, that is how they pay the bills and make investors happy. They give enough support to a phone so as not to hurt sales, and that's it.

Cell phones move too quickly. By the time a new phone ships to market, it's replacement is already in beta testing phase. We have at best a 6 month product cycle, and they make their money by creating and selling NEW phones, not supporting old "outdated" ones. And because every manufacturer does this, it doesn't really hurt sales because it isn't like you can go somewhere else and get better treatment.

Gingerbread's code was released a year ago. The TBolt just got it a few weeks ago officially, about 2 weeks before ICS was released. Part of that is the fault of HTC, but the rest is on VZW. If they just took the new code from HTC and pushed it out, people could have had it months ago. But VZW has to load it all up with bloat, which takes time, has to be tested, fixed, etc... And even when they released it, it was still crap and had to be pulled back and took another month, etc...

Carriers need to just sell the phones as the manufacturers send them, and let the new code come from them. But because companies pay VZW millions of dollars to pre-load all they crappy bloat in there, they hold things up.

Now I'm not being flippant to you, just to the manufacturers...

Here's a thought. Maybe release a kickass phone like the Rezound unlocked and without Sense(the UI). That way when Google releases an update...bang it's on the phone rather than dicking around with source for 11 months before releasing a crippled update. That's my problem with all of the current gen Android handset makers. They want their own "looK" on android. So push a theme, don't give me 70% android and 30% skinned, tweaked, and in some cases severely gimped UI. Oh wow, by releasing a completely stock Android phone, we've lowered our support cost and saved hundreds of millions of dollars in development costs at the same time. On top of that just as many people bought our phone becuase we compiled beats into the stock music player and released our own "Beats player" on the android market so that we won't tie up any more dev costs when an update hits.

/Making Sense(not the UI)

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
Now I'm not being flippant to you, just to the manufacturers...

Here's a thought. Maybe release a kickass phone like the Rezound unlocked and without Sense(the UI). That way when Google releases an update...bang it's on the phone rather than dicking around with source for 11 months before releasing a crippled update. That's my problem with all of the current gen Android handset makers. They want their own "looK" on android. So push a theme, don't give me 70% android and 30% skinned, tweaked, and in some cases severely gimped UI. Oh wow, by releasing a completely stock Android phone, we've lowered our support cost and saved hundreds of millions of dollars in development costs at the same time. On top of that just as many people bought our phone becuase we compiled beats into the stock music player and released our own "Beats player" on the android market so that we won't tie up any more dev costs when an update hits.

/Making Sense(not the UI)

in a perfect world... that works. Think of it this way. IOS is not skinned, it's on ONE device and has no direct competition. If every phone was vanilla android it would be a spec war and nothing else, to some of us that may be what it is anyway but not to joe blow just buying a smartphone to keep up with work or whatever on the go. Joe Blow will buy the one that looks the coolest, or feels the best, or that... you guessed it, they liked the UI the best. In android all the manufacturers have to find something to stand out against the next. With IOS.. you get one device, one set of specs, one UI, and no direct apple based competition. If you want apple's IOS UI, you get an iphone. Just like car MFG's.. go look even under the same parent company, it's not all the same crap with a different engine under the hood (though sometimes that is the case, as the majority it is not).

My .02 "SENSE" ;)

now all that's out of the way... I do think MFG's are going to have to start keeping up with outdated devices more. Phones are getting to the point computers are, you are gaining less and less for more and more. Add to that, the carriers are becoming more strict about upgrading and phones are becoming more expensive. The market will soon just not be there for people to buy phone after phone after phone within a few months of each other.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
These are great ideas, but we all know what the driving force is behind all of these phone are. Most of us on these forums are the knowledgeable few. They aren't catering to the likes of us. They are catering to the millions of people that just wants something to work, but works in a particular companies view of how it should work. We go around and skin this and mod that, but truth is some people aren't into all that. So they force their perspective in hope of taking away from their competition. I could be wrong, but thats just the way I'm seeing it.