are wet screen protectors dangerous?

psupride

Reaction score
I ordered a skinomi screen protector in anticipation of the TB. How do the posters here feel about wet screen protectors? I'm a bit nervous now, as I have heard of water damage issues associated with them. Are they that much better, then say, a seidio screen guard?

cpjr

Reaction score
Do they stick better....yes. Is it easy to screw your phone up....not really, unless you REALLY wet it.

OP
P

psupride

Reaction score
Do they stick better....yes. Is it easy to screw your phone up....not really, unless you REALLY wet it.

so I shouldn't be concerned about the solution seeping in through the sides of the screen?

Xerrus

Reaction score
I have one on my phone right now, it's fine. Just wet it and have a paper towel rdy. Once you slap it on use the little credit card tool to push the excess water out from under it and use the paper towel to grab it once it's pressed out from the sides.

They work well, it'll look hazy or foggy for a day or so and you'll wonder if you did it right, but fret not. That's just what they do. After a day or two the moisture that is causing that hazy / foggy look will disappear

Sent from my DROID X

OP
P

psupride

Reaction score
I have one on my phone right now, it's fine. Just wet it and have a paper towel rdy. Once you slap it on use the little credit card tool to push the excess water out from under it and use the paper towel to grab it once it's pressed out from the sides.

They work well, it'll look hazy or foggy for a day or so and you'll wonder if you did it right, but fret not. That's just what they do. After a day or two the moisture that is causing that hazy / foggy look will disappear

Sent from my DROID X

thanks....I guess I get concerned about using the credit card tool - I guess the screen is tightly fused to the phone itself to not allow water in? This is my 1st time with a wet protector, and I dont wanna ruin my new fone - I usually go with the seidio protectors, but they typically come off after a month or so

evor1

Reaction score
i love the zagg one i just got. i thought the wet install was gonna be a hassle but its actually way better. its harder to mess up because you can slide the protector around or remove it and try again for best fit.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Why ruin your screens luster with a screen protector? The screens are made of gorilla glass, are virtually scratch resistant. Friend of mine has had the OG droid for almost over a year now and hasnt used protectors for most of that time, has no scratches whatsoever.

Zagg is thick polyeurethane and it feels like you're touching rubber, i couldnt stand the feel and the rub-b-b-b-b sound when i had to move my finger around, not to mention it makes everything look so DULL! Protection for the body of the phone sure, but it ruins the look and feel of your screen.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

me droid incredible

Reaction score
i wouldnt use it anyway because any type of water can screw up your phone so i would just get a dry one and leave it at that

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you water damage your device applying a wet application screen protector then yer doin' it wrong. You just need enough solution to reduce the tackiness of the screen protector while applying. You don't need to douse the device.

While the Invisible Shield isn't my current favorite I have applied it to countless devices without water damage. If water damage from the application process was a major problem a Google search should very quickly turn up clear results indicating such.

Why ruin your screens luster with a screen protector? The screens are made of gorilla glass, are virtually scratch resistant.
It's not virtually scratch resistant. It is scratch resistant. The reason for using a screen protector is that while Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant it isn't unscratchable. There's an important difference there.

Zagg is thick polyeurethane and it feels like you're touching rubber, i couldnt stand the feel and the rub-b-b-b-b sound when i had to move my finger around, not to mention it makes everything look so DULL! Protection for the body of the phone sure, but it ruins the look and feel of your screen.
Zagg isn't the only screen protector manufacturer. My Steinheil Crystal exhibits none of the issues you describe.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't need a screen protector. But it's your money, buy one if it makes you feel better.

Detonation

Reaction score
I've done applications of wet screen protectors on about 10 different devices over the years. Never had water damage problems. Just turn your phone off when you're doing it, and keep it off overnight after you're done so any water that may have seeped in has dried out. The main killer is getting water in your device when its on - when its off, its not nearly as bad for it.

However, after trying pretty much every brand of the rubber, wet protectors, I have since switched the dry, plastic based ones. Much easier to apply, feels more like the glass, and clearer.