Are we ready to cut the cord

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Feb 12, 2015.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,253
    [​IMG]

Sling TV is here, which I plan on doing a full review in this Sunday's Sunday Evening Chat, USTVNOW allow users to stream basic tv (CW, FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC) for free, we have Nexus Player, Rokus, and various streaming devices, so the question is are we ready to say bye to cable?

Unfortunately no for several reasons starting with the big cable companies still hold the cards. Many of our cable/internet companies are still trying to force their cable packages down our throat and they do that by making it impossible to just buy high speed internet at a reasonable price (the old bait and switch). And some companies will not even allow you to buy their gigabit (high speed) service without subscribing to their cable package, here is looking at you TDS. Until we have enough viable high speed internet companies that can change the game we will still have to deal with big cable one way or another because they have the infrastructure and still hold the cards for high speed internet.

Second reason is the reliability of the streaming services. We have come a long way and are continuing on the correct path to opening up TV to being more customizable, but streaming services still have a few bugs to work out before they can be relied upon. I personally would not want to rely on Sling TV or USTVNOW as the sole source to watch the Superbowl.

For those of you streaming tv and/or looking to cut the cable what has either kept you from making the move or motivated you to make the move?

2. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    I cut the cord 9 years ago. I haven't missed TV service (in the traditional sense) at all. I spend more time on the internet engaging my brain, but when I feel like having my noodle massaged by static entertainment, then I either go to the movies, rent a movie, or catch something on Netflix/Amazon Prime.

• Like Like x 6
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,253
    So who is your Internet provider?

For those of you who have cut the cord want to know who is your provider and are you able to get Internet at a reasonable price without cable.?

• Like Like x 1
  4. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,713
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    That's awesome Stormy!
    It's only been a couple of years since we cut the cord, but we haven't missed it either. But we only had basic cable to begin with so it was relatively painless. We get 13 channels of network tv OTA and they all come in crystal clear. We were never really big tv watchers, but we do enjoy our movies. Currently subscribed to Netflix & Prime and then we get our current release movies from either VuDu, Redbox or our local Hastings video store if we want a larger BluRay selection than Redbox.
    As for internet, our apartment complex provides free WiFi for all residents.

Update: I know I know....pics or it didn't happen. LOL!
    The pic is a little blurry as I ran into the clubhouse to snap this on my way home tonight. [​IMG]

S5 tap'n

#4 cr6, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,253
    Who is your Internet provider?

6. CJM

CJM Super Moderator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/Corey
    Our Internet provider is Cable One. We haven't cut the cord yet. But we don't watch much cable TV much since we got streaming devices in every room. I only watch cable TV for the local news, sometimes. Most of the time we watch Netflix, YouTube or Amazon Prime

Tapped from a Nexus 6

• Like Like x 2
  7. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,713
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    How are everyone's channels OTA? I was really surprised at how well all of our local channels came in. Plus HD programming comes in so much more clear than our cable or satellite ever did. I think that definitely helped with our transition.

I also wanted to mention when we first cut the cord, we used regular old rabbit ears. While they worked great and were hidden behind our tv, I still wasn't a fan of them. It was kind of embarrassing when we had company over, even though nobody could tell simply by looking at the picture.
    Every once in awhile we had one channel that we had to adjust the antenna, but since getting this one, we've had no problems at all.
    We found this [​IMG] at Best Buy one day and it's what we've been using for the past year. TERK Ultrathin Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna Multi THINTV1A - Best Buy
    If you want something slim and unobtrusive, this is the way to go.

S5 tap'n

#7 cr6, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Cut it 3 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +951
    Don't think I could cut the cord. I'm too addicted to my dvr

Sent from my Note 4

10. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,713
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    They make DVRs that work with regular OTA antennas.

S5 tap'n

11. cerisecons

cerisecons Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,297
    Not sure my wife would let me cut the cord on Cable, and I like the DVR as well, and the convenience. A buddy has the Original Slingbox setup, it didn't catch my interest.
    But I could be talked into cutting if coverage for what the "boss" watches was easy for her to find... We currently have a Roku3, Chromecast and Cable ++

12. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,253
    Many of the streaming services offers a dvd like feature. Slingtv you can watch a show from earlier plus there is also Hulu.

@dgstorm, I been on the pursuit to cut cable since last year. Where I am at it cost me more to go Internet only than having comcast Internet and cable.

Search tags for this page

are we there yet

are web there yet
cut cable android forum
fox sports midwest kodi
fox sports midwest on firestick
fox sports midwest stream kodi
how to play fox sports midwest on kodi
is thr firestick on suddnelink
kodi fox sports midwest
we are ready to cut the fibric