Are they currently shipping LCD or AMOLED?

kmo

Reaction score
I agree it's a great looking screen. The point here is what good is it if HTC can't obtain the parts for manufacturing their phones. At some point, unless these amoled screens start becoming readily availabe, we will start seeing other screens being used. They can't have this back order issue forever, there are other acceptable options out there. The Sony Super TFT display, although offering a lower contrast ratio than AMOLED and Super AMOLED displays, is able to deliver a higher resolution and lower power consumption performance than the AMOLED panels.

*On another note: I'm sure you have been outside and tried to view your amoled screen? Virtually useless, even at max brightness. I know nothing is perfect but I'm still waiting for a screen that can be viewed easily in sunlight.

Last edited:

zMd113

Reaction score
Well I used my Incredible as my camera for a Church renovation project outdoors in the bright, sunny, and really hot Oklahoma sun. And out of habit I used my hand to cast a shadow onto the screen then I realized I didn't need to do that. So I love AMOLED screens for both indoor and outdoor use. In my opinion it's like going from DVD to BLU-RAY as resolution goes.

OP
R

rsarno

Reaction score
The only reason i asked about this is because of a few facts

1. it was known that the Glass manufacturer couldnt keep up

2. it was known that there was a roughly 4 week backorder because of this

3. it was known (or rumored) that vzw was phasing out the old sku of the incredible, easily assumable is the fact that a new sku would replace it, carrying a different screen

4. few weeks later the backorder is cut to roughly 2 weeks

So some of that is rumor, some is fact. But collectively, it makes sense that the change has been made now.

My question was, if anyone has noticed and confirmed the new screen is being used?

BTW i already have ordered my phones, just asking so i know what to expect when i get them.

ffej89

Reaction score
LOL there is no way you can say the amoled is good for outdoor use. The TFT is far better and its still hard to see in the direct sun. Now if you indoor the amoled is much better, better color, better quality all around. The most valid point as mentioned by kmo is they just dont have to amoled screens available to use.

Danariel

Reaction score
Funny...I've taken my Incredible out in the hot Southern sun, and on full brightness had no trouble whatsoever seeing it. I do have an anti-glare screen protector on it, but that decision was made more for the anti-fingerprint properties of the screen protector (didn't want my pattern to be apparent in finger smears.)

My LG enV Touch really sucked in the sun.

kmo

Reaction score
You guys using the same phone? Haha. Even all the reviews mentioned the "suck" factor when viewing outside in sunlight. My phone is set to 40% normally, when I'm outside I pump it up to full and it still isn't great for viewing. Agreed AMOLED should do better outdoors compared to a TFT LCD but it's still much more difficult, at least for me, to see what's on the screen.

neyel8r

Reaction score
personally, i'd pretty upset if they didn't send me the one with the amoled screen, the one i thought i was ordering, especially if they didn't bother to tell me i might be getting one with a different screen!

Ironric75

Reaction score
Hey guys Im new to this forum but i can with 90% percent certainty confirm your fears that the incredible has switched to super tft screens. I recived a replacement phone today from verizon, because my speaker blew out on my old one. When i started up the new phone i noticed the display looked different i promptly put my battery back in my old phone to confirm this and the difference is quite noticeable.In the short time that i used the new phone i noticed this difference is most obvious in the slide to unlock screen and when you bring up the keyboard.where on my original phone the slide to unlock was a rich black on the new phone its a light gray the new screen is comparable to the htc hero screen. needless to say Im going to a Verizon store to confront them about this. If Im getting a downgraded phone i want some kind of compensation because the beautiful aomled screen was the tipping point for me. If Verizon refuses to come to a deal with me, Im torn between keeping my current phone with the aomled and a blown speak(it still works but sounds distorted) or making the change and sticking with the tft display. its a tough call