Are there Nexus quality control issues or are problems simply more scrutinized?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to chime in here and share my perspective. If there are quality control issues with Nexus devices, I don't really think they can be attributed to Google. Although ultimately it is Google's responsibility to work with their channel partners to get QC issues resolved, we can't forget that Google has worked with several different manufacturers for Nexus devices. If we are talking about hardware issues, then it is the manufacturer's onus to make sure their product is up to a certain standard.

As far as Google selling the devices cheaper, thus potentially using cheaper parts, I don't think that is really the issue either. Google isn't selling the devices at a profit (or at least very much of one). Considering they are basically selling the Nexus devices for about the same cost (or a tiny bit more) as it took to manufacture them, we can't really blame cheap components. If you take a gander at the different parts-pricing teardowns for devices, the Nexus stuff isn't filled with parts that are really cheaper or different than what we see in other manufacturer's Android products (in fact, the stuff in them isn't that much cheaper than Apple products either). The only difference is Google sells their Nexus devices at basically cost.

From analyzing patterns in Nexus issues, it seems to me that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus had the most problems, the first edition Asus-made Nexus 7 had the second most problems, and the LG-made Nexus 4 had the least problems. Shouldn't we be blaming Samsung, Asus and LG for these issues? Also, as folks have suggested previously in this thread, it's hard to nail down if the volume of issues experienced is any more or less than is typical than for any piece of advanced technology. If you held my feet to the fire, I would probably say the Galaxy Nexus had some QC issues that exceeded the nominal threshold, but the other devices were fairly typical.

I will lastly add that I have the new Nexus 5 and am happy with it, and am growing to really love it. I will be sharing a quick review sometime this week.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will lastly add that I have the new Nexus 5 and am happy with it, and am growing to really love it. I will be sharing a quick review sometime this week.

I look forward to your review, especially your analysis of the LCD display light bleeding I've heard about.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I want to chime in here and share my perspective. If there are quality control issues with Nexus devices, I don't really think they can be attributed to Google. Although ultimately it is Google's responsibility to work with their channel partners to get QC issues resolved, we can't forget that Google has worked with several different manufacturers for Nexus devices. If we are talking about hardware issues, then it is the manufacturer's onus to make sure their product is up to a certain standard.

As far as Google selling the devices cheaper, thus potentially using cheaper parts, I don't think that is really the issue either. Google isn't selling the devices at a profit (or at least very much of one). Considering they are basically selling the Nexus devices for about the same cost (or a tiny bit more) as it took to manufacture them, we can't really blame cheap components. If you take a gander at the different parts-pricing teardowns for devices, the Nexus stuff isn't filled with parts that are really cheaper or different than what we see in other manufacturer's Android products (in fact, the stuff in them isn't that much cheaper than Apple products either). The only difference is Google sells their Nexus devices at basically cost.

From analyzing patterns in Nexus issues, it seems to me that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus had the most problems, the first edition Asus-made Nexus 7 had the second most problems, and the LG-made Nexus 4 had the least problems. Shouldn't we be blaming Samsung, Asus and LG for these issues? Also, as folks have suggested previously in this thread, it's hard to nail down if the volume of issues experienced is any more or less than is typical than for any piece of advanced technology. If you held my feet to the fire, I would probably say the Galaxy Nexus had some QC issues that exceeded the nominal threshold, but the other devices were fairly typical.

Good point and yes that was my point in questioning whether those manufacturers are slacking on quality control because it is not their high end brand but making it for google. The galaxy nexus was probably the worst nexus device and though it was Google's first LTE device it was not Samsungs.

I will say that the post above about manufacturers not posting return % does make it hard to determine because I did not take into account (like a member said) that majority of people with problems post it on the forums so with out having a benchmark to go off of it is hard whether to know if there is a real problem or if the people posting are a part of the small percent of a bad batch. 10 our of 10 posting they have an issue does not mean every device coming out of the warehouses are bad those 10 could be 10 out of 1000.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
My Nexus ownership has been pretty limited. My experiences:

Galaxy Nexus: Went through three before finally giving up completely on it. Every one was plagued with miserable data and wifi reception. I lay fault on Samsung. Because I did give the SIII a go and had the same issues.

Nexus 7 (2012): Bought two near launch. One had the creaking screen and the other had major edge bleed. Took both back for an exchange. Next two were solid. Both had very minor edge bleed but it was nothing too distracting. Other than that they both ran strong for over a year before I sold them.

Nexus 7 (2013): Bought one but took it back a few days later because I didn't think I really wanted another tablet. Didn't have any issues i the short time I had it. Discovered I missed having one so I bought it again. Haven't had this one for very long so can't give long term judgement. But so far I have had a few instances of random reboots and the touch screen can be finicky at times. Especially doing functions that require long press. I'm debating on taking it back and trying another.

I currently have an LG G2 on VZW and am considering leaving VZW in Feburary when my contract is up. My first choice was gonna be grab a Nexus 5 and go with Straight Talk. So I will be watching the quality issues very closely.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO