1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

are there many diffrent droid roots for moto droid?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tdawg5480, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

are there different versions of droid root? I had one version was a snap and when i entered su command it said access granted thanks to alldroid.com or something well I was doing the recovery mod and accidentally hit button aand ran update.zip.....lost my root so I go and look a boostnscoob's sig that has bunch of info there:icon_ banana: use the droid root posted there now when things go n wanna use root i get prompted on my droid to allow or deny access...very cool I like it just curious if there are any other differences and if I would want one over the other. TIA
  2. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

you have to allow yourself root access the first time. click remember selection checkmark and hit allow. you will have full root.
  3. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

and no they are pretty much all the same, the one you initially had, probably had the superuser permissions set to auto allow. that or it bypasses that.. as i dont know anyone who would hit deny,lol
  4. ei8htohms

ei8htohms New Member

We're still very early in the game so things are changing fast. One of the earliest rooted update.zip packages had an ad stuck in the su about magic android or somesuch and no SuperUser Permissions app. A more recent one included a permissions app and did away with the ad. The basic privileges are the same.
  5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Correct, there are multiple versions.

The first one involved su that only worked through ADB.

The second one was an update to the first one. Once you got su working through ADB, you would push a new su binary to the phone that allowed local su. That new su binary would ALWAYS allow root access.

The third one was a nicely packaged installer. It installs a "SuperUser Permissions" app and an su binary. When you run su, it will pop up a dialog asking you to allow/decline, and gives you the option of saving that preference. The SuperUser Permissions app is a manager for the preference selection.

The third option seems to be the best choice so far.
  6. 640k

640k New Member

there are different methods but they all accomplish the same thing. there aren't multiple roots. there's only multiple ways to get to root. root is root, you can't change what root is or how it behaves.

to have anything other than root access defies the meaning.
  7. jasondcannon

jasondcannon New Member

I can't find where to download the "third option" can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I interpreted the question to mean "are there many different rooting methods / kits?" which is what he was looking for, I think.
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

This is the file I used:

http://alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=659

It's a 10mb file that includes the root kit and the necessary padding to make it apply.

I can't find the forum posting that I got it from. The closest I can find is this one:

AllDroid.org - View topic - How to Root your Droid<<<ONLY

This posting links to a 23kb root kit and explains how to create a 10mb update.zip by appending the root kit to the signed update file.

EDIT: I found the instructions I followed. It was on xda-developers, but linked to that alldroid file:

[DROID] Root instructions (UPDATED) - xda-developers
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  10. 640k

640k New Member

i just don't want to propogate the confusion that a "different root" would have garnered other results because user didn't use a different method.

root is root, pick a method you're comfortable with. that part should be made clear.
  11. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

look for boostnscoob's post in his sig i used to reroot my phone after i hit wrong button in recovery the one in his post is the prompting one which is nice HOWEVER i did notice when phone boots up it takes a min or so for root to work like when i access sufbs app or open overclock as soon as it boots it will hang on black screen and foreclose if i wait then do it all is well also if you check the always allow box when prompt you about the root access it wont hang....just a small thing i fiured out, I like the prompt a lil annoying like vista and win7 UAC but a extra piece of mind