Are there any statistics on what % of all Android devices have been rooted?

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Just guessing, I would say a VERY small %. Less than 15

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, all we can do is take an educated guess. I know from what I see in the forum that the majority of people don't root their phones. And that would be the majority of members here. So you can only imagine how many phones are out there that don't even know a Droid Forum exists.

Now you might look around at the threads and say "What's he talking about," but when we have an over the air update members come out of the wood work. And they are not rooted.

brando56894

Reaction score
Over half the people I meet though out my day that have an android smartphone have no clue what I mean when I say "is it rooted?".

patfactorx

Reaction score
I heard Cyanogen has almost a million downloads I think if you count up all their builds. If that's the case then it might be bigger than we think. Especially because I think users in other countries are rooting since their carriers arent as krazi

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just guessing, I would say a VERY small %. Less than 15

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

It doesn't even touch 15 percent. IMO, you would probably be lucky to even hit two percent.

brando56894

Reaction score
I heard Cyanogen has almost a million downloads I think if you count up all their builds. If that's the case then it might be bigger than we think. Especially because I think users in other countries are rooting since their carriers arent as krazi

Is that per IP? That could be the same people downloading the same things multiple times...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, supposedly only 0.5% of handsets are running Gingerbread. But that would be people flashing custom roms, so the rooted number is higher than that.

1-2% is my guess.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
The only thing that makes me question the 1%-2% figure is that Titanium Backup, ROM Manager, and SetCPU are the #3, 4, and 9 top paid apps in the market

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only thing that makes me question the 1%-2% figure is that Titanium Backup, ROM Manager, and SetCPU are the #3, 4, and 9 top paid apps in the market

Well, most of the time when you flash it downloads your apps from the market. So I would guess all those apps have at least 10X the number of downloads they wouldn't otherwise have. I'd think updates also impacts that number. I don't know if Google filters that by unique users or actual downloads.

I mean, Titanium Backup and Set CPU are/were almost required apps for rooters, so even 2% would be @ 1M users.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

No chance those are uniques.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, most of the time when you flash it downloads your apps from the market. So I would guess all those apps have at least 10X the number of downloads they wouldn't otherwise have. I'd think updates also impacts that number. I don't know if Google filters that by unique users or actual downloads.

I mean, Titanium Backup and Set CPU are/were almost required apps for rooters, so even 2% would be @ 1M users.

plus those three are in the 50,000 to 250,000 downloads range, so that's not saying much...could be 50,000 downloads or 250,000 or anywhere in between...and i'm sure the same 50,000-250,000 who download setcpu are downloading titanium. it's not as if a whole new group of 50,000 are downloading each

i'd say less than 1%

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
i'd say less than 1%

Yeah, I'm not going to argue <1% or <2%. Heck, I bet the numbers using replacement launchers aren't even that high, 20% tops but would be interesting to look at the numbers.