Are there any issues with the rooted GB leak for Droid2?

neilrl79

Reaction score
My wife has a DROID2 and it's been acting up, i convinced her that rooting the phone and updating to gingerbread might help some of those issues. Is the pre-rooted gingerbread stable? Do all the features work? How's the battery life? I appreciate any and all responces. I have done hours of searching prior to posting this thread but can't seem to find any solid info on it.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife has a DROID2 and it's been acting up, i convinced her that rooting the phone and updating to gingerbread might help some of those issues. Is the pre-rooted gingerbread stable? Do all the features work? How's the battery life? I appreciate any and all responces. I have done hours of searching prior to posting this thread but can't seem to find any solid info on it.

Its pretty amazing compared to froyo..however..we are close to an official ota..so you may want to hold off a bit..at least for one more week..then again..I won't take it. I'm enjoying cm7! But if she is having issues, why not just wipe data? That should fix everything...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its pretty amazing compared to froyo..however..we are close to an official ota..so you may want to hold off a bit..at least for one more week..then again..I won't take it. I'm enjoying cm7! But if she is having issues, why not just wipe data? That should fix everything...

Sorry but to answer your question..its a "leak" though official...it had a couple of issues but I can't remember exctly what..But honestly I loved it! The only thing is if you don't like it..sbf or all in one back to froyo is needed...I say go for it! Shell love the animations and the speeds..the status bar and pull down is blue tinted..and there is apex she can flash that is amazingly long battery and a few tweaks for speed..Please remember to make a backup before you flash anything..I will be here if you need anything..I know she won't be happy if you brick her phone...lol good luck!

OP
neilrl79

neilrl79

Reaction score

I was under the impression that no update was coming, that was according to VZW support tho.

Well if i wipe it then she loses all the data from her apps and stuff and by rooting i could back everything up first.

OP
neilrl79

neilrl79

Reaction score
Sorry but to answer your question..its a "leak" though official...it had a couple of issues but I can't remember exctly what..But honestly I loved it! The only thing is if you don't like it..sbf or all in one back to froyo is needed...I say go for it! Shell love the animations and the speeds..the status bar and pull down is blue tinted..and there is apex she can flash that is amazingly long battery and a few tweaks for speed..Please remember to make a backup before you flash anything..I will be here if you need anything..I know she won't be happy if you brick her phone...lol good luck!

v

Yeah i've never done anything to a DROID2, tho i was flashing new roms and stuff to my DROID almost every other day so i've beaten "backup everything" into my head. I've been reading up on the whole process all morning and it doesn't seem very difficult but i appreciate the offer for assistance and if i run into any issues i'll surely ask for help.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
v

Yeah i've never done anything to a DROID2, tho i was flashing new roms and stuff to my DROID almost every other day so i've beaten "backup everything" into my head. I've been reading up on the whole process all morning and it doesn't seem very difficult but i appreciate the offer for assistance and if i run into any issues i'll surely ask for help.

Well, if you flash to gingerbread, you'll wipe anyway...but yes, I use titanium backup...its a miracle worker...and yes you seem to be fine if you've done all this before..But use Z4root..you shouldn't need a computer unless sbf...if you do have a question..I'm here bro!

OP
neilrl79

neilrl79

Reaction score
Well i rooted, backed everything up, flashed the rooted GB now i'm setting up the phone again.

edit: restoring apps now

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well i rooted, backed everything up, flashed the rooted GB now i'm setting up the phone again.

edit: restoring apps now

Awesome! Go check out apex! You won't believe the battery life...I think its the best....and its fast...happy ROMing!

OP
neilrl79

neilrl79

Reaction score
Awesome! Go check out apex! You won't believe the battery life...I think its the best....and its fast...happy ROMing!

Lol. Once I get her used to this I'll try to talk her into some more advanced roms.

xm0067

Reaction score
Lol. Once I get her used to this I'll try to talk her into some more advanced roms.

If you're looking for a quick fix for speed/battery life, ApeX is the way to go, and Liberty GingerBread is great too (battery life is a smidge worse, but its very customizeable). You could also over/underclock it with android overclock (made by the same guy who did Liberty)

Sent from my Apex-ed Overclocked DROID 2

louy99

Reaction score
i remember the leak GB had problems with keyboard and hotkeys backlighting.

jabbajac

Reaction score
Hmm the only problem that I have with it is that the for some reason it seems that my market app is pulling ridiculous amounts of background data thus killing my battery life. Don't know if that issue is because it is the prerooted version. I just keep background data off for now but other than that everything seems to work perfectly fine for me.

rocketscientist

Reaction score
So I'm having many of the same problems as noted above including Facebook contact syncing and now any social media updates are not working either. GB looks like it'll fix the problem. SO, I'm already rooted on my Droid 2, but is there a quick guide on how I can flash GB onto my phone and then re-root it?

It's either that...or go get a new phone. I haven't decided yet. :)

xm0067

Reaction score
So I'm having many of the same problems as noted above including Facebook contact syncing and now any social media updates are not working either. GB looks like it'll fix the problem. SO, I'm already rooted on my Droid 2, but is there a quick guide on how I can flash GB onto my phone and then re-root it?

It's either that...or go get a new phone. I haven't decided yet. :)

Since you're already on froyo (the instructions go from the basis of being on non-rooted gb) just download the file and flash it. Make sure to wipe everything and whatnot first
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/29/how-to-root-gingerbread-on-droid-2/
This version is rooted

Sent from my Apex-ed Overclocked DROID 2