Are there any good apps for finding directions?

OP
K

kingfish

Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys. Is there a way to upgrade to 2.0 for the htc eris?

OP
K

kingfish

Reaction score
Here is what you do, step by step:

1) Open the Google Maps App.
2) Press menu key.
3) Choose "Search".
4) Type "McDonalds".
5) All of the McD's in your area will pop up on the map as red dots.
6) Click on the one that is closest to you.
7) Click on either "Directions" or "Navigate", depending on what you want to do. You can also call McD's from the same menu.

There ya go. Hope this helps!

*Keep in mind, these instructions are via the Moto Droid Google Maps App, but I would think the apps themselves would be pretty much identical.

Kingfish, follow these steps. Ignore my other post below it.

Works great! Thanks!

Reaction score
Eris will be getting an update to 2.1 soon. All the HTC android phones will get an update to 2.1. Verizon sent out an email a little while back saying it was coming. I got my wife an eris when I got my Droid and it's a darn good phone. The only thing at the time was that it didn't have 2.0 which had most of the features I wanted. If it had, I might have gotten it instead.

The upgrade to newer versions of Android is the one weakness I think Android has in comparison to iPhone OS. When an upgrade is ready to be pushed out to iPhones, it goes out to all (since they are only made by Apple and only carried by AT&T) but when Android updates, they have to publish the code to all the different manufacturers who then tweak their "flavor" of Android and you are at the mercy of whether Motorola, HTC, Sony, whomever want to port the new version to their handsets and if they do, how long it will take them to do it. With each customized interface each company is allowed to create, it creates another period of waiting for that next version to actually make it out to the phones. Hopefully, over time, this will speed up.

I'm just ready to get my 2.1 (without rooting or hacking my phone)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The upgrade to newer versions of Android is the one weakness I think Android has in comparison to iPhone OS. When an upgrade is ready to be pushed out to iPhones, it goes out to all (since they are only made by Apple and only carried by AT&T) but when Android updates, they have to publish the code to all the different manufacturers who then tweak their "flavor" of Android and you are at the mercy of whether Motorola, HTC, Sony, whomever want to port the new version to their handsets and if they do, how long it will take them to do it. With each customized interface each company is allowed to create, it creates another period of waiting for that next version to actually make it out to the phones. Hopefully, over time, this will speed up.

Not likely, I suspect. There's no such thing as a free lunch and the costs you point out are endemic for an o/s like Android. And the more success it enjoys, the greater the problem of assuring compatibility among different manufacturers and phone models. Apple has been taking advantage of its closed platform and control over hardware for years. Pay your money and take your choice.

OP
K

kingfish

Reaction score
thanks guys. Is there a way to check for the latest updates?

Silver Member
Reaction score
they will be pushed to you OTA. once it is available to you, you will get a notification that an update is available.