Are there any downsides to ICS?

xmguy

Reaction score
The notification bar icons are VERY small and hard to read in ICS. The stock email, missed call, facebook and so on are the same size and color in the bar. I never know if I have a new Facebook message, missed call or email. Drives me nuts.

Raikkonen

Reaction score
xmguy said:
The notification bar icons are VERY small and hard to read in ICS. The stock email, missed call, facebook and so on are the same size and color in the bar. I never know if I have a new Facebook message, missed call or email. Drives me nuts.

Same here

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Downside to ics?

Reading all the "when is jelly bean coming" threads.....

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I appreciate the staff on this forum attempting to keep things organized, clean and a good forum for users to visit, learn and share. When you move a thread could you leave some indication in the sub forum it was started in to let users returning to that sub forum know that it has been moved or closed or whatever. It is a total waste of time trying to hunt down a thread after it has been moved and there is no indication where someone moved it to. Not complaining...just a recommendation.

JP, the move is supposed to leave a Permalink in the original forum so you don't experience what you've described. What forum did this thread start in? I can move back, then move here again and make sure the link remains, it would take all of about 30 seconds. It was most likely not 94lt1's fault, possibly a glitch in the system. :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

I completely agree. There needs to be a better color/contrast scheme. It's so dark, in many cases, that you can't even make out what the icons are.

xmguy

Reaction score
I completely agree. There needs to be a better color/contrast scheme. It's so dark, in many cases, that you can't even make out what the icons are.

I don't understand why they (Google or Motorola) did it?! They made such a big fuss about the settings icons. Making them have color icons. But where it REALLY matters the notification bar they make it the same color and impossible to read. I almost regret upgrading to ICS in the first place for that reason alone. I'm 27 and my eyes are ok. But for older people with less vision seems that is a let down. Google has font settings (that I use) to make the display text easier to read. Nothing for the notification bar. Shame!!

xmguy

Reaction score
An example. Look at the image on the left. The Facebook, email icon and if shown missed call icon as well as other icons are all the same color. While the picture on the right, has icon colors and all.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120628_001012.png
    ForumRunner_20120628_001012.png
    608.4 KB · Views: 261
  • ForumRunner_20120628_001020.png
    ForumRunner_20120628_001020.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 283

Dunc

Reaction score
Call me dumb...but, my Maxx is at home while I make my way to it. (Truck driver)...why would you want to force 3G over 4?
For me I switch it when going riding on the motorcycle. I typically am out on the road for 5ish hours listening to Pandora so I switch to 3G only to chew up less battery. That way if something bad happens then I still have plenty of battery to make phone calls.

xmguy

Reaction score
For me I switch it when going riding on the motorcycle. I typically am out on the road for 5ish hours listening to Pandora so I switch to 3G only to chew up less battery. That way if something bad happens then I still have plenty of battery to make phone calls.

I do the same when my battery gets below 20%. I never know if I'll REALLY need the phone and because I kept it in 4G when I didn't need it my battery is dead.

1BadAction

Reaction score
The lack of an all encompassing motoblur messaging app. Was nice to have everything in one place...

Also, smart actions sync/background data is wonky. The sync button on the power bar still works correctly but the smart action that used to correspond to that button now restricts data further, rendering pandora useless. (I like to listen to music, not my phone vibrating off the table from emails and texts):icon_eek:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I downloaded Apex Launcher, because there were some features in GB that went away with ICS, namely "Preview Screens" with a tap of the Home button. It has options in it to show unread texts, unread emails, or missed calls on the actual icons. I have my Phone icon, my Handcent icon, and my Gmail icon on the dock at the bottom of the screen, all right next to each other. That way if I see dots on the notification bar or the screen is off and the LED is blinking, all I have to do is look at the dock icons to see what the dots on the notification bar mean LOL ... and yes, I have perfect vision :biggrin:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The downside.....the update wont agree with some folks phones...lol

I see posts about how GB ruined the Droid X1...but not to me. I remember how some claimed Froyo was a disaster for the Droid 1...but not to me. Already I see some ppl got Flash working on their RAZR after ICS, its not working on mine. If I decide to do a reset, wipe and it works...lol.

Need to see if my battery has gotten better, worse or stayed the same. So far I cant really tell.