Are there any downsides to ICS?

Discussion in 'Droid Razr and Razr Maxx ICS discussion' started by selectgt, Jun 25, 2012.

1. selectgt

selectgt New Member

Are there any downsides to ICS other than the 3g option being cut from the roster or is it all sunshine and gazebo baskets?
  2. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Only bummer for me is likely just a temporary setback til app developers sort it out. Seems that no 3rd party apps can toggle GPS ON/OFF (and possibly other functions) yet due to changes in direct calls in ICS. :/
  3. NickNacNo

NickNacNo New Member

Will the SmartActions app still be available in ICS? I have it set perfectly on my Razr and get 2 days between charges. I would be sad to lose that!
  4. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

The only drawback I have found is the inability to keep your phone in CDMA/3g. Now with ICS it is LTE/4g, the option to select CDMA/3g in network settings is gone. Don't get me wrong, if you are not in a 4g area yet, or you loose 4g, the phone will revert back to 3g...you just can't "force it" into 3g. Other than that ICS is smooth, fast and has some very nice touches to the UI.
  5. jpcalhoun

Yes SmartActions is in ICS. Will it keep all your Smart Action settings after the upgrade...I don't know for sure but I would expect it will.
  6. nikecar

nikecar New Member

melting in the heat outside.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Trash Can

Trash Can New Member

I'm a little confused. According to this thread, there's an app called "LTE OnOFF" for the Thunderbolt that provides quick access for putting it in CDMA only.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...sion/212316-ics-switching-3g-4g-manually.html

Anyone know if this works or not?

Also, I read somewhere that it is "not healthy" for the phone to leave it in CDMA only. If true, what's the basis for that?

More than anything else, it seems to me this is Verizon's way of forcing people to use their LTE network. They spent major bucks on it and want people to use it to relieve 3G congestion.
  8. Nebraska_Droid

Nebraska_Droid New Member

Download the "LTE OnOff" app from the Google Play store. Once you download it and launch it, it takes you into a "hidden" section of phone settings, one of which is radio. There is a pull down menu where you can choose "CDMA auto (PRL)". Choose that and your phone will work in 3G exclusively. Change it back to "LTE/CDMA/EvDo" if and when you want to use 4G LTE.
  9. My91sho

My91sho New Member

Call me dumb...but, my Maxx is at home while I make my way to it. (Truck driver)...why would you want to force 3G over 4?
  10. jpcalhoun

I don't know if the 3g/4g switch for the Thunderbolt works or not...I haven't tried it. As far as forcing people to 4g, that's a possibility. Verizon has for months been encouraging 4g users to keep their phones in 4g to free up their "very crowded" 3g network.
  11. jpcalhoun

3g uses less battery than 4g and if you are in a marginal 4g area the phone switching from 4g back to 3g uses even more battery. The only advantage to 4g is if you are downloading/streaming a large file or viewing video (and 3g will handle that most of the time if you have a strong 3g signal). Text, email, phone calls etc works just fine on 3g. Don't get me wrong, 4g is fast and very nice...but the price is even worst battery life than with 3g.
    2 people like this.
  12. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Moving to the ics forum

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  13. jpcalhoun

I appreciate the staff on this forum attempting to keep things organized, clean and a good forum for users to visit, learn and share. When you move a thread could you leave some indication in the sub forum it was started in to let users returning to that sub forum know that it has been moved or closed or whatever. It is a total waste of time trying to hunt down a thread after it has been moved and there is no indication where someone moved it to. Not complaining...just a recommendation.
  14. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Well-Known Member

The app mentioned does work, I am now on 3G. Just make sure you select the CDMA Only (PRL) option, otherwise you will probably end up like me and have dial up lol
  15. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Yes. It is. I prefer AutomateIT Pro, as it is far more flexible and powerful, but unfortunately GPS quit toggling. Works w/ SmartActions, though.
  16. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

The notification bar icons are VERY small and hard to read in ICS. The stock email, missed call, facebook and so on are the same size and color in the bar. I never know if I have a new Facebook message, missed call or email. Drives me nuts.
  17. Raikkonen

Raikkonen Member

Same here
  18. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

this ^^^
    1 person likes this.
  19. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

Downside to ics?

Reading all the "when is jelly bean coming" threads.....

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----
  20. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

JP, the move is supposed to leave a Permalink in the original forum so you don't experience what you've described. What forum did this thread start in? I can move back, then move here again and make sure the link remains, it would take all of about 30 seconds. It was most likely not 94lt1's fault, possibly a glitch in the system. :biggrin:
Search tags for this page

how to force droid razr to 3 g

missed call symbol motorola razr

samsung galaxy note 3 force 3g app