Are the Droid commercials offensive?

Bimmerjo

Reaction score
I've got a lot more in life going for me than to argue over a cell phone, and/or a cell phone commercial... But a source of comedy? These commercials are full of win :)

mjwassmer

Reaction score
This thread has been a fantastic read. No one was actually offended by the silly commercial, some just think they were supposed to be. Shut up.

tracylee

Reaction score
I just watched the commercial for the first time. We don't have a TV in the house, so I don't normally see them.

I'm an educated woman, and was not offended. I was looking for offensive when I watched, based on the title of this thread. The first thing I noticed was one of the 3 people at the beginning was a woman.

I must also say, that being a geek, I'm far more into functionality than pretty. Not that all geeky woman are like me, of course. And yeah, back when I was working in IT with a bunch of guys, I enjoyed hanging out at the hardware store at lunch as much as they did.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm VERY disappointed with Luke Wilson :|
National commercial that is playing several times a day. Sign me up : )

He's making some bank on those commercials.

TatDroid

Reaction score
...are they retarded...
For someone complaining about being offended (post #24), you made a pretty offensive remark. Or maybe I'm reading something into your remark that you didn't intend. You know, kind of like what some people do with things they see in commercials?

Last edited:
OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm VERY disappointed with Luke Wilson :|
National commercial that is playing several times a day. Sign me up : )

He's making some bank on those commercials.

I'll sell Man-Pons on national TV for the right money :icon_ banana: (If you never saw the man show the Man-Pon may not make sense).
Ha good stuff....I think a lot of people will be sporting them today waiting for the OTA update.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm hoping I can contain most of my excitement LOL.... without use of an 'absorbent material'

Twoo

Reaction score
As a macbook pro and previous 3gs owner I can side with just about everyone's remarks here. Though amazingly efficient and well thought out products, Apple has become all too increasingly trendy. It's to the point now where if you don't have an iphone you're not "cool". The mac rumors forums are absolutely appalling to surf through- it's nothing but people saying, "Droid?! Whatever, it's not a iphone- don't care *sips lite mocha lite espresso skim greenpeace prius latte*". It's disgusting.

I applaud Verizon and Motorola for calling it how it is and smacking them in the face. The Droid isn't an 'iphone killer'. It's an iphone alternative, and to date the best one on the market.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a macbook pro and previous 3gs owner I can side with just about everyone's remarks here. Though amazingly efficient and well thought out products, Apple has become all too increasingly trendy. It's to the point now where if you don't have an iphone you're not "cool". The mac rumors forums are absolutely appalling to surf through- it's nothing but people saying, "Droid?! Whatever, it's not a iphone- don't care *sips lite mocha lite espresso skim greenpeace prius latte*". It's disgusting.

I applaud Verizon and Motorola for calling it how it is and smacking them in the face. The Droid isn't an 'iphone killer'. It's an iphone alternative, and to date the best one on the market.

Just yesterday I was listening to my fav local radio station (WCCC) and the DJ's both started discussing that their iPhones define who they are as a person... it's all about 'trends'. It's a status symbol... I'm glad my Droid is a power device... not a gold star next to my name on the blackboard. "Look how good I did!"

Milehighjc

Reaction score
<SOAPBOX ON>

So she's offended. So what. What was she expecting, the FCC to step in and shut Verizon down?

If she doesn't like the commercial, she shouldn't watch it, and shouldn't buy the product. She should vote with her wallet. There is not a constitutional guarantee to never be offended, insulted, unhappy or otherwise. Its still <kinda> a free country, but the PC police are over the top, and I view them as nothing more than cheap entertainment. Would ya like a little cheese to go with that whine?

As for the battle between iPhone and Droid (and Blackberry, and ... ...), fortunately it rages on. It makes all the products better. I will make them cheaper. Nothing better than a little spirited competition and free enterprise.

As for those who want to insult the droid, iphone, blackberry, palm... time to get over yourself. Buy the product you like. Enjoy it. Use it to its fullest. And if something you like better comes along, buy it if you choose to. Its your money. And if you insist on bleating about how the other devices suck, because you chose to spend your hard money on something else, then in my humble opinion, the only thing you have proven is how small minded YOU are.

<OFF SOAPBOX>

For me, I thought the iPhone was a BRILLIANT device. But where live and use the device, AT&T coverage is not sufficient to make it a useful phone the way I need to use it. Enter Droid... another BRILLIANT Device. Has pros and cons vs other competitors. I like it, Verizon coverage is excellent where I need it, and I went with it. After two weeks, Im happier than ever with it despite having found some things I wish were implemented differently, and functions I wish it had (or that I could buy and app for). So be it. Doesn't mean my friends with iPhones (there are many) shouldn't be happy with theirs, frankly, I don't care, and they needn't care how happy I am or am not.

Whew... now THAT is off my chest :reddroid:

jc

Colin

Reaction score
Personally I didn't find an offense to any of the Droid ads or even really thought about it, but from the very beginning I've had the opinion that their marketing team has gone about this all wrong. None of the commercials made me want to buy the phone, I didn't even know what exactly it was going to consist of or how nice of a phone it would be.

The aesthetics of their ads are horrible, the name is bad (imo) and personally the phone itself could even be more stylish. This whole robot, droid, red eye thing is strange, it turns me off and I imagine a lot of other people. I don't know if it's too sci-fi or what but it seems to me that they are marketing the phone to a specific group of people. A group which I do not belong to, a group which I don't interact with, I'm not sure who this group is actually. I don't know anyone that has responded positively to their ads.

Now, the HTC commercials however... those I think are brilliant. The beat is catchy, the tag lines are thought provoking and overall those ads make me want an HTC. The Droid commercials make me not want to be associated with the Droid. The HTC seems to be advertising to everybody, young, old, business, student...etc Advertising a phone that will integrate into your everyday life.

Instead of bashing the iphone for looking pretty or how bad it is, but show why the Droid is better (which is sort of how they started w/ their ads). I know personally I really like Apple and would have had an iphone already if it wasn't for AT&T. So to me bashing the aesthetics of Apple products is a negative.

Colin

Reaction score
For me, I thought the iPhone was a BRILLIANT device. But where live and use the device, AT&T coverage is not sufficient to make it a useful phone the way I need to use it. Enter Droid... another BRILLIANT Device. Has pros and cons vs other competitors. I like it, Verizon coverage is excellent where I need it, and I went with it. After two weeks, Im happier than ever with it despite having found some things I wish were implemented differently, and functions I wish it had (or that I could buy and app for). So be it. Doesn't mean my friends with iPhones (there are many) shouldn't be happy with theirs, frankly, I don't care, and they needn't care how happy I am or am not.

Whew... now THAT is off my chest :reddroid:

jc
Pretty much exactly how I feel.