Are the Droid commercials offensive?

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
I am assuming she owns a pretty little iphone. Nothing wrong with that commercial. Just like all Droid commercials it ROCKS! Verizon keep the commercials coming. They arent pissed they are JEALOUS!

thelion

Reaction score
If people would actually look at the commercial and take a moment to think before giving into their knee jerk "poor me" reactions they would realize that VZW is slamming the iPhone- not women.

Not everything in this world is sexist. If a man is picked over a woman it doesn't necessarily mean it is a sexist choice. If a commercial depicts vanity as a bad thing it does not mean they hate women. In fact, I would question why these offended people are even associating vanity and uselessness with women in the first place. I was not offended because I don't believe it represents women. Perhaps the offended party should stop projecting their own hatred.

And, for the record, I am a woman.

Last edited:

carbonnoid

Reaction score
Booo hoo, if you have that much time to care for a commercial i feel bad for you son, because i got 99 problems, and a commercial isn't one of them. So then commercials about tampons and pads, should be taken off, because i find them offensive, especially during a football game.

kevin1016

Reaction score
She should hang up the keyboard and commence the burning of bras.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Geeze whats the big deal, it's a friggin commercial she needs to get off her high horse. I mean I may actually like Apple products... but I still loved the commercial lol (and all the big red's commercials against at&t).

godanigo

Reaction score
Ok, so. I know this a forum full of dudes and all that good stuff. And nothing I, or blog lady, says is gonna change that. But this is a forum and I'm gonna add my two cents since all you dudes are too.

Honestly, when I watched the commercial for the first time, I found myself getting offended. I'm not easily offended on the subject of feminism, because, well...shut the **** up and do something about it.

Here is why I am offended. The ad clearly says. iPhone = woman, Droid = man. Droid = better, therefore (obviously), Man = better. Obviously, I think the Droid is better or I wouldn't be here. I'm an Android junkie through and through, I like the way the phone looks, I like the keyboard, I like the metal. I don't like rounded iPhone corners or shiny plastic. But something that says, in not very thinly veiled english, women suck and are dumb, and men are smart and do things, IS OFFENSIVE.

Think of your wives and your kids and your women friends, are they retarded and would never like a Droid? Think of those dudes you know that are obsessed with their iPhones. This phone war isn't about women vs. men, it's about the best operating system and the best hardware, and making it into that only perpetuates the stereotype that women are stupid.

darreno1

Reaction score
^^so all women are princesses or tiara wearing beauty queens? That's basically what you're saying.

I mean, with a big enough imagination, one can interpret this ad in many ways but I doubt the idea was to disparage women - it would be bad business. Apple invests a lot of resources in making their products look 'nice' and 'pretty' , that's a fact that's hard to dispute. So this ad was merely attacking those traits of the iPhone. Basically it tries too hard to be a beauty queen but not much else. I see nothing wrong with saying that nor do I see how that's an attack on women.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
I've said it before--I'm a married man (coming up on 14 years) and my wife cracks up / thinks the commercials show-up the competition. The only thing she's said to me is, "it's obvious AT&T / iPhone have something to be worried about; their commercials are so pathetic trying to get back and defend against Verizon."

This isn't a major topic of discussion in our house--really. But we make comments here and there when we see stuff together (we're married after all, and that's kind of what you do). Maybe it's because we're a tad older than "Generation Y" and come from a different time / feel comfortable in our "traditional" (God-given) gender roles. <shrug>

I myself look upon my wife with nothing but respect and she doesn't feel of a lower-class due to a T.V. commercial. Hell, even my daughter and son think Daddy's phone is pretty cool and don't bring up the conversation of gender equality when they see Verizon's commercials. What a lucky husband and father I am! :)

- Mega

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Soon they'll release another commercial and we can move on from this one :)

godanigo

Reaction score
^^so all women are princesses or tiara wearing beauty queens? That's basically what you're saying.

Obviously, that's not what I'm saying, just like all dudes aren't saws that mutilate ripe bananas.

The commercial makes gender roles binary, when they are not. It doesn't leave all this wiggle room that we seem to be imagining. Brains make connections when we watch commercials like this, and like it or not, the obvious conclusion that one can make is that all women are princesses and all dudes are tanks.

This was the only Droid ad the offended me in the slightest, but we need to realize that commercials do things to our subconscious that we don't even know about.

darreno1

Reaction score
Brains make connections when we watch commercials like this, and like it or not, the obvious conclusion that one can make is that all women are princesses and all dudes are tanks.

No, YOU came to that conclusion. Our own life experiences, biases, inner feelings can help shape our interpretations. I didn't see any of that nor did it make me look down on women. However I did look down on the iPhone, lol.

superglen99

Reaction score
oh my goodness!! bump to everyone who said people need to get a life. Seriously geez. people these days....get over it!