Are tax returns a scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's funny you mention that Jonny, a week after I filed with a well known tax website my bank sends me an email for a %15 discount with them. Little late folks, LOL.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
you get tax refunds so much faster these days that it is not worth getting those loans.
Federal, yeah. We've already spent that/put a chunk in savings. Still waiting on the state to deposit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's funny you mention that Jonny, a week after I filed with a well known tax website my bank sends me an email for a %15 discount with them. Little late folks, LOL.

Happens to me every year the past few years. Sometimes it's the site I use, sometimes it's another reputable service.

I thought about trying Credit Karma's supposed ACRUALLY free service this year, but decided against it.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
forgot about state, they have gotten slow. took almost a month to get mine and it used to be less than a week. claim it was to prevent identity thief. IMO, if it is going the same account as in past years, and you filed the same way as in past years, there should be no reason to doubt.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I rather give them an interest free loan during the year than have to pay a huge amount at the end of the year.

And you pay a penalty if you end up owing more than like $500. But if you have investment returns or some other source of income, you can also make a quarterly prepayment to avoid penalties for underpaying.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I paid over 2 grand last year. There was no extra penalty.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JandN2639

Reaction score
And you pay a penalty if you end up owing more than like $500. But if you have investment returns or some other source of income, you can also make a quarterly prepayment to avoid penalties for underpaying.

Actually, that’s not quite correct. You owe a penalty if you pay estimated taxes, underpaid, *and* didn’t pay at least as much as the year before’s total tax due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JandN2639

Reaction score
Some things to remember:

1. The IRS is exempt from due process.

2. This means its staff are not accountable for delays, wrong information, etc.

3. Even if the IRS’ unexplained error leads to someone’s underpayment, that person or organization owes not only the amount due, but daily interest on that amount. Good luck trying to get the interest back.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think the best thing we can do is educate the younger generations on how W2 exemptions work, and how that affects whether you get a return or owe more. I am amazed all the time at younger people that have never been educated on the subject and have the impression that everyone receives a refund every year...no matter what.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think the best thing we can do is educate the younger generations in how W2 exemptions work, and how that affects whether you get a return, or owe more. I am amazed all the time at younger people that have never been educated on the subject and have the impression that everyone receives a refund every year...no matter what.

Definitely need more life skills courses in school that covers things like this. My dad did everyone's taxes for years. It wasn't until I moved a thousand miles away that I began trying to figure it out on my own. Had I been smart, I would've at least sat down with him when he was doing mine through high school & college.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually, that’s not quite correct. You owe a penalty if you pay estimated taxes, underpaid, *and* didn’t pay at least as much as the year before’s total tax due.

Yeah, but the point I was making was additional estimated payments so you DON'T underpay.

Forget that the govt doesn't pay interest. If you overpaid $2000, you lost out on $250 in stock market gains last year. I would think that's enough money for most people to care about.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the best thing we can do is educate the younger generations on how W2 exemptions work, and how that affects whether you get a return or owe more. I am amazed all the time at younger people that have never been educated on the subject and have the impression that everyone receives a refund every year...no matter what.

Sad part is, I took tax accounting and have a degree in finance from a good undergrad. I never knew, until a few years ago after a google search, that you could put whatever number of exemptions you want. I always thought you were limited to your number of dependents, and that it was illegal to take more.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sad part is, I took tax accounting and have a degree in finance from a good undergrad. I never knew, until a few years ago after a google search, that you could put whatever number of exemptions you want. I always thought you were limited to your number of dependents, and that it was illegal to take more.
Yeah, that one always seemed weird to me, people who'd claim a bunch for a good part of the year & then change it close to tax time. Still don't get that.

JandN2639

Reaction score

I’m surprised too! Our accountant never mentioned that. Do you have a source for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.