Are release days still special?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The lines form because Apple never has enough phones to even satisfy the 2 year upgrade crowds let alone those of us that upgrade every year.

Each iPhone launch is prefaced with the typical "there won't be enough supply" propaganda that Apple leaks to the press.

If you have 4 million people wanting a phone yet only have 750, 000 phones on launch it is very simple to see why folks are lining up.

I pre-ordered.

If that's the case, wouldn't you just wait? If I know there is a shortage of something, I don't wait in line hoping they make a new one while I wait.

In a way that is why I am glad android is so diverse. Yeah at times we all want people to think our phone is the best....but really I'm glad android is at a point where we have so many awesome selections, especially this year, and that we have people with different tastes. One of the reasons we dont have to worry about long lines is that people either already have the phone they want, waiting on something else, or the phone is either too big/too small/ too much skin/not enough features/etc. Point being, we all do not look at phones the same and that is great. Where I may look at the note 4 as too much bloat someone else see a lot of features that they wanted in a smart phone. And where I may see the nexus 6 as perfect someone else will see it as pointless to have a screen that large without a stylus for taking notes (ie note 4).

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I flip flop back and forth between holding on to the Note 3 and getting the Note 5 next year or ditching the Note 3 now and jumping on the Note 4 wagon.

The main reason being that the Note 3 is the first phone that I have felt doesn't need an upgrade after one year. This thing is beast.

I'm in the camp of people that think the Note 4 isn't an incremental upgrade. Everything about the phone is better than the Note 3. The only downfall that I see is that they launched it with the 805 instead of the 810.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I flip flop back and forth between holding on to the Note 3 and getting the Note 5 next year or ditching the Note 3 now and jumping on the Note 4 wagon.

The main reason being that the Note 3 is the first phone that I have felt doesn't need an upgrade after one year. This thing is beast.

I'm in the camp of people that think the Note 4 isn't an incremental upgrade. Everything about the phone is better than the Note 3. The only downfall that I see is that they launched it with the 805 instead of the 810.

That was how I felt about the note 2 two years ago and why I never felt the need to upgrade to the note 3. Samsung does a good job powering their note devices for the long haul.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've been with Samsung for a handful of devices now & I get the urge to skip an iteration. If I didn't jump between device lines (Nexus to s to note), I probably would've gone for a different manufacturer. But, I had enough moto for a while & those seems to be the to 2 imo.

Sent from my Note 4

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
With motos history of dropping lots of devices with marginal improvements, and the droid line having dated hardware... I'm actually excited for release day for the turbo.. Because it is a cutting edge device..

I think that the reason android devices don't have the fanfare of the ios devices, is because there are so many android manufacturers.. Ios is only an iPhone thing.. One phone every year..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

But the 810 is still in development, aka not ready for release. The not yet released Note 6 is reported to be the first to carry the 810.

Samsung Galaxy S6 to be first smartphone to pack 4K display Snapdragon 810 Christian News on Christian Today

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm sure they could have used the 810. There is no incentive though when you still have 805 stock to get rid of.

Too bad it's coming in the S6. I don't see myself getting the S series anymore.

Is Google running 64bit in L?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Right now? Other than a little bit of better number crunching on operations that rely on number crunching...nothing.

64bit is here to stay so the longer it takes everyone to convert over to it the longer we will be stuck with 32/64bit hybrid.

Apple didn't jump on theirs expecting an overnight world changing result. They are already future proofing their ecosystem. By February or so all devs must migrate their apps.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
best I know, 64-bit mostly only matters to 4+gigs of ram. So with 3gigs of ram there's no noticeable benefit to 64-bit. So it doesn't exactly "future proof" your phone since the ram and cpu aren't.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The Cortex A57 benches faster in 64bit mode than 32bit mode (it supports both instruction sets). There is obviously a benefit even without 4gb of ram.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I saw reports that the z4 will carry the 810.. Due in February..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The S6 is in my future as long as they can continue to blow me away in the battery life department (with a 4k display), I'm there.

S5 tap'n