Are release days still special?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
motorola-droid-site3.jpg
Screen-Shot-2014-10-20-at-10.52.55-AM-620x503.jpg

As I was thinking about pre-ordering my Nexus I pondered whether we still treat device releases the same. I look back at the Motorola Droid, the device that started it all for many of us. The Droid was so popular that it even spawned a few tech sites, DroidForums, Droid-Life, AndroidCentral, just to name a few. So you would think a device that help spawned an entire movement must have had lines of people around the block waiting for the release right?

For myself the only reason I went Droid was my iPhone 3gs kept having connection issues and At&t was doing a poor job handling the issue so I cancelled my service and went to Verizon picking up the Droid a few days after it was released. Had At&t handed me a new iPhone I would probably still have been team Apple (the irony is that I am currently waiting to buy my Nexus 6 o At&t) . I did not buy the droid because I knew about android or was anticipating it I just wanted something comparable to my iPhone, in fact for the first couple of days I was trying to trade the droid to get either the storm 2 or Samsung Omnia 2, history tells us that I made the right decision staying with the Droid. Funny thing is as an outsider I was able to pick up a droid easily ...there were no lines or waiting lists. But one may argue that at the time Android was still new to the public. When the Incredible was released that Spring android built up a following and though the incredible was on back order I would argue it was HTC's failure to fulfill the demand yet even then there were no lines. Droid X and Droid 2, a step forward in the android era and the beginning of the end for qwerty phones but there were no lines....hype yes lines no. Ok....Android has built a following, the Galaxy devices are becoming popular, and there have been an outcry for a Verizon nexus especially with carrier locking down bootloaders. Finally our wish is granted and the Verizon Nexus is here after delay after delay, go to the store on release day expecting a line only to see 5 other people with only 2 there to purchase a nexus. As I prepare for the Nexus 6 I have come to the conclusion that the reality is Android devices no matter how special never had that epic release with lines wrapping around the block like the iPhone. I tried to argue that the reason we would not see it now was because the device selection for android is large with literally something for everyone, unless you want a phone with a 4 inch screen. We have phones for those who want pure android, phones for those who want large screen, literally there is such a wide selection of flagship devices released at different times that it is hard for a line to form because either the crowd already have their device of choice or are anticipating something else. And if we flash back to the Droid days people either were not aware of the Droid, or like today there were other selections to choose from such as Blackberry, Windows, etc. So to answer my question; no, release days are not special and they never were, at least not for Android users. We had our build ups, hype, leaks, and anticipation but once release day came it was on to the next.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't believe they are anymore. Back in the day, technology was moving so fast that when a new phone was released, it was something new and special. Now, all phones are fast. They all have LTE, beautiful screens and all the bells and whistles of Android. Unless you have a 2-3 year old phone that is very out of date, getting that new device isn't special, its just new and that wears off much faster than special does.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I don't believe they are anymore. Back in the day, technology was moving so fast that when a new phone was released, it was something new and special. Now, all phones are fast. They all have LTE, beautiful screens and all the bells and whistles of Android. Unless you have a 2-3 year old phone that is very out of date, getting that new device isn't special, its just new and that wears off much faster than special does.
I agree, upgrading isn't really upgrading any longer. The last true android upgrade I made was going from an S3 to a Note 3 with an iPhone 5 in between. Anything after the note 3 has just been a side step.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree to a certain extent, but I can honestly say that the upgrade from my S3 to my S5 was a great experience. It's a much better device in absolutely every aspect and 3+ months later I still love this device. (Despite many bigger & better devices released since) As for the actual "release day" itself, it's not as hyped as say an Apple device and I personally like that. I like the fact that leaks come out with most Android models. I would much rather have that, then to not know a single thing about a new phone until release day. (ala iPhone)
Even after a new Android drops, it doesn't mean much to me because I enjoy going to my local Best Buy or carrier to test drive the latest models before I actually part with my hard earned money.
IMO "Release day" is only important to Apple fans because they only have one device to choose from each year.

S5 tap'n

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I feel that a part of the problem is the shear number of release days. There are so many products available and so many manufacturers releasing them you have a tendency to get numb.

Unless you are super excited about an upcoming product release you could be swayed by another product announcement before that one sees the light of day.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't think there is, especially since smartphones have become more of the norm now. That first year or two when Android was making a name for itself, 2009 to 2011, those were the days I remember people making a big deal about releases. Nowadays it's like "yeah there's a new phone", but there are just way too many manufacturers and flagships that hype for it has died down.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know that I would've ever stood in line like those iFolks do for a phone. I don't care what features it has.

I agree with what many others said. My most recent phone purchase was an upgrade for two reasons, one, the size difference between the s4 and Note 4, and two, the difference in specs.

If you upgrade to each new iteration of a device, you're going to be underwhelmed almost every time.

With that said, I was counting down the days til the Note arrived at my door and my girlfriend got sick of hearing about it. I was genuinely excited about this device and still am after having had it for a couple days, but with the s4, I had watched the unpacked event and liked quite a few of the bells and whistles, but really only bought the device because the Galaxy Nexus had seen better days and it was the best option when I went to VZW. I almost jumped on the Note bandwagon then with the 3, but I wasn't ready for the size.

Now, we're good to go with this Note 4, but I'm still glad that I passed on the 3, because I likely would've passed on the 4 as I did with the s5.

dja1980

Reaction score
I feel that a part of the problem is the shear number of release days. There are so many products available and so many manufacturers releasing them you have a tendency to get numb.

Unless you are super excited about an upcoming product release you could be swayed by another product announcement before that one sees the light of day.
Exactly... Can you imagine if Google had control over Android manufacturing in such a way that all manufactures could only release their newest models once a year at a certain date & time? Whether it be low-end or high-end, small-screen or large-screen, all new Android models would be released at exactly the same time. Can you imagine the kind of lines that would create?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't know that I would've ever stood in line like those iFolks do for a phone. I don't care what features it has.

I agree with what many others said. My most recent phone purchase was an upgrade for two reasons, one, the size difference between the s4 and Note 4, and two, the difference in specs.

If you upgrade to each new iteration of a device, you're going to be underwhelmed almost every time.

With that said, I was counting down the days til the Note arrived at my door and my girlfriend got sick of hearing about it. I was genuinely excited about this device and still am after having had it for a couple days, but with the s4, I had watched the unpacked event and liked quite a few of the bells and whistles, but really only bought the device because the Galaxy Nexus had seen better days and it was the best option when I went to VZW. I almost jumped on the Note bandwagon then with the 3, but I wasn't ready for the size.

Now, we're good to go with this Note 4, but I'm still glad that I passed on the 3, because I likely would've passed on the 4 as I did with the s5.

I waited outside my Verizon store for my first Android phone, the DroidX. I waited a whopping 30 minutes. Mostly because I had the time wrong when they opened =D. Apple people do it so they can say they have the new iPhone, not because the phone is somehow better, we all know that to not be true.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I waited outside my Verizon store for my first Android phone, the DroidX. I waited a whopping 30 minutes. Mostly because I had the time wrong when they opened =D. Apple people do it so they can say they have the new iPhone, not because the phone is somehow better, we all know that to not be true.
I preordered the droidx. It was delivered to my door a day before it came to stores, just like my new Note 4. ;)

Sent from my Note 4

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
About as special as laundry day, Mondays, and any other 'ays.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The lines form because Apple never has enough phones to even satisfy the 2 year upgrade crowds let alone those of us that upgrade every year.

Each iPhone launch is prefaced with the typical "there won't be enough supply" propaganda that Apple leaks to the press.

If you have 4 million people wanting a phone yet only have 750, 000 phones on launch it is very simple to see why folks are lining up.

I pre-ordered.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The lines form because Apple never has enough phones to even satisfy the 2 year upgrade crowds let alone those of us that upgrade every year.

Each iPhone launch is prefaced with the typical "there won't be enough supply" propaganda that Apple leaks to the press.

If you have 4 million people wanting a phone yet only have 750, 000 phones on launch it is very simple to see why folks are lining up.

I pre-ordered.
If that's the case, wouldn't you just wait? If I know there is a shortage of something, I don't wait in line hoping they make a new one while I wait.