Are my Nexus issues worse than normal?

mears

Reaction score
Bought the Nexus on launch after having my OG since its release day. I live outside Denver, and in the 2+ years I've had my OG, I haven't had a single dropped call. I'm having major problems with the Nexus. First, when I'm able to make calls, there is a high probability that the call will be dropped. When this happens, its always because I l drop to 0 bars and get the "Mobile Network Not Available" when trying to return the call. I've heard that lots of others are having *data* issues, but there have been many reports of voice still working, which isn't the case for me. Dropped calls don't seem to be as common, either. Worse, my phone spends an absurd amount of time not connected to a mobile network at all. Lord knows how many calls I've missed, but it's been more than a handful. Only time I know for certain is if the person leaves me a voice mail while my phone is connected over wi-fi. "Oh, what's this? Another voice mail for a call that didn't ring my phone."

About 5 days ago, I called tech support, and I sh*t you not, the rep says, "Wow, this is the first time I've heard of anyone having a problem with this phone". Um, sure. They wanted to "troubleshoot" but needed to call me on another line, which wasn't possible at the time. Two days later, I head over to my local VZW store and inform them I'm exchanging the phone. They pull up my account, hold a conversation in the back room and then they come back and tell me they can't exchange the phone since I had previously called tech support and didn't let them "troubleshoot" at the time. In order to exchange, they have to "troubleshoot" by factory resetting my phone and pulling out the sim card. Then in a few days if I have problems I can come back and exchange. They then proceed to tell me that Verizon has acknowledged the issue and they doubt their "troubleshooting" is going to help. Duh. So I let them wipe it. Already missed several calls today and it took me ages (i.e. multiple power cycles cause the age old trick of going into airplane mode and back out leaves me with a phone stuck in airplane mode) to get a connection I could call out on.

Is this worse than the standard issue Nexus data connectivity problem? On one hand, I'm hoping that this is just a lemon and an exchange will resolve everything. On the other hand, I'm concerned that an exchange is going to leave me with another phone that exhibits similar problems and I'll be stuck with it for two years. As it is now, this phone is nearly completely unusable. Oh, battery life is horrible too, but I'm partly attributing that to the fact that the phone spends most of the time trying to obtain a signal.

kimintenn

Reaction score
I have -100 to -120 signal which is crap from what I've read but I haven't had any issues with actual dropped calls. And even though the signal is weak I still have pretty fast downloads. I don't think the constantly dropped calls is a common thing, but I could be wrong.

tbever

Reaction score
My 3G/4G and calls are fine. The only problem I am having is with wifi. I think you should take yours back, because that sounds hardware related. If my problems are not fixed within the return period, I will go back to the OG for awhile longer.

Fooshnik

Reaction score
Return it. Or revert back to your OG and wait until the bugs are ironed out.

aphexx2

Reaction score
I'm having similar problems but not as frequent or bad as you from the sound of it. I went into the VZW store and they would not replace my phone until I let them do a factory reset and use the phone for a few more days. That was yesterday. Today my phone went from a full charge to 4% in less than 8 hours, which included maybe 40 minutes of use and with not very many apps installed. Had some minor data issues but hard to tell yet if anything call/data related is any different from before the factory reset. It doesn't seem like that would really do anything, especially considering the phone has been out just over a week.

Biggest issues for me other than these are the camera is terrible (at least my camera is), and I don't like the pentile screen and I have green/red color gradation on light colored screens. I would have been happy with a replacement if these things were improved, but vzw wouldn't give me one and I don't want to have to go back to that store more than once! I'll probably return the phone and revert back to my og droid for now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

jtsativa420

Reaction score
I'm having similar problems but not as frequent or bad as you from the sound of it. I went into the VZW store and they would not replace my phone until I let them do a factory reset and use the phone for a few more days. That was yesterday. Today my phone went from a full charge to 4% in less than 8 hours, which included maybe 40 minutes of use and with not very many apps installed. Had some minor data issues but hard to tell yet if anything call/data related is any different from before the factory reset. It doesn't seem like that would really do anything, especially considering the phone has been out just over a week.

Biggest issues for me other than these are the camera is terrible (at least my camera is), and I don't like the pentile screen and I have green/red color gradation on light colored screens. I would have been happy with a replacement if these things were improved, but vzw wouldn't give me one and I don't want to have to go back to that store more than once! I'll probably return the phone and revert back to my og droid for now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Thanks for the info. This confirms some of the flaws I saw (camera) and read about (battery) the nexus. I almost made the jump from razr to nexus but I may hold off and see what else is up next.

hwiya320

Reaction score
Do you think this is the main reason why they were keep delaying the product? but decided to push it out for the holiday?

I know that bugs will be eventually fixed. I just hope that it's not the hardware issue. I've been reading the forum to learn more about the phone and planning on getting it soon, but I wonder if I should just wait a month or two before I pull the trigger.

TheBoyPat

Reaction score
When you guys say how powerful your signal is, how are you measuring this?

OP
M

mears

Reaction score
Ok, I have an update. Today I decided to completely disable 4G, and low and behold, no issues. Keep in mind, I live in an area of excellent 4G coverage. Both days, I left my phone in nearly the same spot on the coffee table.

View attachment 44905