Are front facing speakers that big of a deal?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the Pixel had front facing speakers ....... well we get to see if it mattered.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yes it matters. I have dual on the 6p and a single on the 5x. Dual all the way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have yet to experience a phone with dual speakers, so for me, no big deal. I always tend to connect my phone via bluetooth in my car or headphones.

And at this point the way I see it, if you haven't experience what HTC did with their One series then any others seem to be fairly mediocre.

I don't consume too much media through phone speakers, maybe just a YouTube or ESPN videos here and there, but the quality of audio I have on my s7 edge gets the job done. Dual definitely sounds better, but considering the circumstances I use the speakers for media consumption, not applicable for me.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I also think they are now that I've experienced them. I watch videos on my phone all the time and having them fire right at you as opposed to off to the side is just how it should be. I use to have to cup the bottom firing speaker on my G2 to hear anything and even sometimes that wasn't enough. Now I don't ever have an issue. It helps to keep the volume lower as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Beardface

Reaction score
Considering I wear headphones it and when I want to watch a video, especially in public.... No doesn't matter to me

Just another nitpick the ignorant masses are using to crap on these great devices.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Considering I wear headphones it and when I want to watch a video, especially in public.... No doesn't matter to me

Just another nitpick the ignorant masses are using to crap on these great devices.
A little judgemental for a completely functional feature. Unlike wireless charging.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I am enjoying the forward facing dual speakers of my 6P. I definitely find myself using them more than on the previous Note/Samsung phones I've owned. I am intrigued by the Pixel, until I build it and it costs nearly $1000.00, whereas the 6P only cost me $650.00 including insurance.

Furthermore, if you're gonna have a huge chin/forehead, might as well slap some speakers in there.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I use Bluetooth headphones as much as I use the front firing speakers. The positioning of the speakers just makes media more enjoyable.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm totally down to buy this phone and yes, I get the criticism. Honestly there's room for 4 front facing speakers, two tweeters, and a amplifier in the bezels. (I'm kidding, but only kinda). Personally I think the speaker is likely of high quality but again, it's not the number, it's location. A lot of people wouldn't be bitching if it were facing forward like it logically should. The single front facing speaker on my Turbo is total crap, but I'd bet if transplanted with the bottom fire speaker on this phone it would be awesome.

I just don't understand the choice, personally. Kind of like the cloth cover on the ear speaker. I'd like to hear from an engineer as to why this was the chosen design features.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just with any feature it depends on the user. If the time you have to consume media is on the subway commuting to work then you likely are (should) be wearing headphones so that will not matter. But if you are one who consume a lot of media where you use the phone speakers (ie in your car during lunch break) then front speakers may be important.

I love dual front facing speakers. It helps with providing the full sound experience. In some of my videos I'll play with sound panning, which can be picked up on dual speaker devices easily but not so much with a phone firing sound out of the same speaker.

Point being that those may be part of the things to consider when you go phone hunting.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Having had front facing speaker(s), then not and now having it again, I much prefer speakers on the front. It just makes sense and enhances your experience.

Tapped from my Plus Sized iPhone 7

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. I'm a big fan of front facing speakers.

Though it didn't have 2, the Moto Z I had for a bit had a front facing speaker. That's was acceptable to me when not using the speaker mod or BT headphones. However, it DID take a little getting used to after the 6P's dual speakers.

Kinda felt like I was going deaf in one ear at first with the Z.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yeah. I'm a big fan of front facing speakers.

Though it didn't have 2, the Moto Z I had for a bit had a front facing speaker. That's was acceptable to me when not using the speaker mod or BT headphones. However, it DID take a little getting used to after the 6P's dual speakers.

Kinda felt like I was going deaf in one ear at first with the Z.

Did you get rid of your Moto Z?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Did you get rid of your Moto Z?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yup. It was a great phone, but I saw what they were selling for on Swappa vs what I paid through that Best Buy promotion.

Sold it & bought a new washing machine. Originally a $749 appliance, I bought the floor model in a close out & ended up paying under $200 "out of pocket" after figuring what I paid for the phone & shipping/fees when I sold it.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yup. It was a great phone, but I saw what they were selling for on Swappa vs what I paid through that Best Buy promotion.

Sold it & bought a new washing machine. Originally a $749 appliance, I bought the floor model in a close out & ended up paying under $200 "out of pocket" after figuring what I paid for the phone & shipping/fees when I sold it.

You sold it on Swappa?