Archos 70 Internet Tablet Ordered!!!!!11!!11eleven!!

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I just ordered the Archos 70 250 GB Internet Tablet from
DroidPad. Archos 70 7" Tablet Computer - Cortex A8 1 GHz

ARCHOS

Tech Specs

Product capacity • Flash Serie: 8 GB**** flash memory + Micro SD Slot (SDHC compatible)
• Hard Drive Disk Serie : Hard Drive: 250 GB**** Hard Drive Display characteristics • High resolution screen, WVGA 800 x 480 pixels, 7'' TFT LCD, 16 million colors
• Capacitive multitouch screen Application Framework Android 2.2 Froyo7 Processor • ARM Cortex A8 at 1 GHz with DSP
• Graphic accelerator: 3D OpenGL ES 2.0 Video Playback1 • MPEG-42 HD (up to 720p, 30 fps@6Mbps)
• MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution, 30 fps@8Mbps)
• H.264 HD ([email protected] up to 720p, 30 fps@5Mbps)
• WMV9/VC1 (AP up to 720p 30 fps@10Mbps)
• M-JPEG (Motion JPEG Video) in VGA resolution

With optional plug-in (downloadable on www.archos.com):
• Cinema: MPEG-2 (up to DVD resolution MP/D1, 30 fps@10 Mbps)
With the above codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, 3GP Audio Playback1 • MP3 CBR & VBR
• WMA, WMA-Pro 5.1
• WAV (PCM/ADPCM)
• AAC, AAC+ 5.13
• OGG Vorbis
• FLAC

With optional software plug-ins (downloadable on www.archos.com):
• AC3 5.1 Photo viewer4 JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF Subtitles Support subtitles files with .srt, .ssa, .smi, .sub extensions Webcam Yes Pre-installed applications • Aldiko, Ebuddy, Wikipedia, Avecomics, HubKap, Deezer, Mewbox, Raging Thunderlite (a 3D car demo game), WordNewspaper, Touiteur, Fring Interfaces • USB 2.0: Mass Storage Class (MSC)
• Micro SD (SDHC compatible) on flash version
• USB Host: Mass Storage Class (MSC) (adapter micro B/A sold separately)
• HDMI output5 (Mini HDMI / HDMI cable sold separately) Communication protocols • WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
• Bluetooth 2.1 EDR Miscellaneous • Built-in speakers
• Built-in leg stand
• Built-in Microphone
• G-sensor
• Front VGA Camera Power source • Internal: Lithium Polymer battery
• External: Power adapter/charger Battery life • Music playback time6: up to 36 hours
• Video playback time6: up to 7 hours
• Web surfing6: up to 10 hours Scalability • Device automatically downloads latest firmware updates when the WiFi connection is activated
• Updates can also be downloaded at ARCHOS and updated via USB mass storage Dimensions & weight • ARCHOS 70 internet tablet Flash series: 201 x 114 x 10 mm – 300 grams / (7.91 x 4.49 x 0.43 - 11 oz)
• ARCHOS 70 internet tablet Hard Drive series: 201 x 114 x 14 mm – 400 grams / (7.91 x 4.49 x 0.55 inch – 14 oz) Minimum system requirements • Microsoft® Windows® XP, Vista, 7 or higher
• Mac
• Linux
• USB 2.0 interface Package includes ARCHOS 70 internet tablet, earphones, Standard USB cable, Quick Start Guide (QSG), legal and safety notice, power charger.

* Maximum resolution = 1280 x 720 pixels
** Only available on Android™ 2.2 Froyo
*** The function of relaying your internet connection may not be authorized by your mobile phone operator or may require a special data plan option. Please refer to your contract.
**** 1 GB= 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity is less.
1/ Certain bitrates, resolutions, and/or file variations may not be compatible.
2/ MPEG-4 ASP@L5 AVI (MPEG-4: ISO standard by Moving Picture Experts Group; AVI: audio/video file container by Microsoft) without GMC and Quarter pixel.
3/ Does not read AAC protected files.
4/ Certain resolutions and file sizes may not be compatible.
5/ External video output disabled for Macrovision®-protected contents.
6/ Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced. Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. Test run with low backlight.
7/ Available in November 2010

I can't wait dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Woot* Woot* that must be exciting - I look forward to hearing a review :)

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
From what I see on the website, I'm not sure how they used the IDD on this, so ill find out, I guess!

I sent it to my parents address, so I prob won't get it until Dec 20 something cause that's when I'm flying there for the holidays, as they can't ship it until the 18th (I guess that's when Archos distributes to resellers).

According to Archos's website, they DO plan on upgrading it to Frg83 (android 2.2.1). Flash, front facing camera, 3d openglide,1 ghz cortex A8....I'm salivating as we speak.

I'm sure xda folks will be too, so I can't wait till I can get root.

Archos said its tethering capable with your phone...which would be AWESOME, ill see if I can figure that out once I get it.
Droidforums.net appified!

Realistic

Reaction score
I have to play with one of these in store, hopefully ultimate electrons will get them. Good price compared to the Tab and way more space.

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
[video=youtube;BHRS46vQoVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRS46vQoVc[/video]

Review of the 8 GB Flash version

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Looking at another video it looks like the 4 Android buttons are overlays built into the software, which could get a little annoying (I've gotten really used to the touch-sensitive buttons NOT on the screen, but separate on my Moto Droid).

gsDroid

Reaction score
Be cautious with Archos. I bought an archos 605 wifi device about 3 years ago and while it has been useful and functional, it is a little bit funky. As soon as a newer model came out, they dropped support for earlier versions immediately. They never delivered on their promises for the 605, and stopped all firmware upgrades. You can't get updated maps for the gps addon, the browser never worked fully, and I felt abandoned. Now that I have a rooted D1, I don't miss the archos except for its video out functionality that allows playing movies from it to the tv.

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Well I am crossing my fingers, considering you had it for 3 years, that's probably at least up through its useful life-cycle.

Is it just me or is the life-cycle of technology getting shorter and shorter?

I'm guessing that Archos may stick with their Android Tablets for a while, especially if they hope to compete as PMP's have fallen by the wayside and tablets have started shifting to the spotlight.

Besides, if its Android, I'm hoping that if nothing immediately works to root it (z4 or UniversalAndroot), then the folks at XDA may pick up the slack, as from what I can tell its a pretty powerful budget Android tablet.

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Currently on my tablet now so far i really like it. Ill play with it more to test.

Sent from my A70H using DroidForums App

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Right when i first got online had a firmware update to Android 2.2.1

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Haha very funny.

After Using it for about a day, i can say i really like it. Initial Battery life sucked, but after a full charge/diacharge/charge cycle its back to where it should be.

I downloaded the update right away and used one of the market hacks to get the real google market to work.
Although a lot of apps wouldnt show on the market, like google maps, and ADW launcher (or the paid EX version), i figured a workaround. I extracted the. Apks from my droid2globals system directory, and i uploaded them to dropbox. Both Google Maps and ADW.Launcher Ex installed fine and now work great.

I paid for adw launcher ex which is why i dont feel guilty, and google maps is free anyway.

As for rooting, i tried z4 root and it doesnt appear to work. Ive tried it 3 times with no success. Im going try other methods, as i installed setcpu, and found that the processor is currently clocked at 800 mhz max, and appears i could overclock up to 1.2 with the stock ROM, but well see (I couldnt make changes though).

More to come