Apps2SD

Discussion in 'Team Chaos' started by FSRBIKER, May 16, 2010.

1. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a feature that will be offered soon on TC?

2. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm looking more into the possibility of moving dalvik-cache.

Can you tell me what merits you see about apps2sd that may change my mind?

My biggest gripe with it is, most users have class 2 cards and therefore are hurting themselves more than helping.

3. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    While using Apps2SD on Cyan I didn't notice any lag or issues with my class 2 card. I had moved all my apps also to see of any would be an issue. There was some testing by a member on the Cyano forums regarding the speed of running off a class 2 card vs internal memory and he showed there is no difference but actually could be faster.

#3 FSRBIKER, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. zag74

zag74 New Member

on a mysterious island with a smoke monster
    Ratings:
    +0
    just one opinion

First, before I say anything, I will tell you that I am so new to all of this that my opinion should be taken with a grain (or 100) of salt!

But when I rooted, I did some research on this because the limited internal space on my droid was my ONLY negative about the phone. I think I must have read the same post on the cyanogen site that the above poster did, because it convinced me to think a class 2 card was ok for partitioning.

The debate went on for a while in this particular forum between 2-3 people, and I am certain they ALL know a lot more than I. But the pro-class 2 card poster won me over (though as I am sure everyone knows, the biggest problems with debates in any forums is the winner may not be always be right and may not even be the loudest, but they usually argue the LONGEST...ie the last post often seems to "win!")

Anyhow, I would love to see Team Chaos incorporate apps2sd. I am using Clean Black right now and have since cut down on the number of apps on my phone. A little painful, but not too bad at all. I cetainly understand if you determine it would not be a good thing to incorporate - whether your reasons be about the user experience, the stability of the phone, or just the amount of work involved.

With all that in mind, I have a general noob question: is there a internal memory "baseline" that I should not pass? I have been down to about 80 mb (unrooted) and I did not think it affected my phone. But I have heard different "limits" but they vary quite a bit - anywhere from 15 mb to 100 mb. Thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

5. RobStemen

RobStemen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion on this is I already partitioned my SD card on CM, and I'd like not to let that go to waste.

6. mr4r4n

mr4r4n Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    ive had nothing but smooth runnings with apps2sd, the card difference is a waste ive installed a crapload of apps running fast and my droid doesnt make me wait @ all ive heard that the card reader itself wouldnt make use of a faster card, my issue is only the amount of roms that include apps to sd right now because UD-NE is note quite ready yet and cyans rom doent run right for me, i dont want to give up the apps2sd either but i need to find a good rom (till i know how to make my own dancedroid)

7. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can also attest to the fact that having a class 2 card makes no noticeable difference in speed. I mostly move apps that I don't use regularly but don't mind having around to my SD card. Regularly used and resource intensive apps stay on my internal memory.

I was also used to installing games/apps on my SD card on my old N95 and didn't see any performance degradation. I don't quite get why people say you need a class 10 SD card for apps2SD. I've seen transfer rates upto 4.5/15 Mbps write/read on my class 4 card. Besides, a lot of games write texture/sound data to the SD card anyways. There's also the added benefit of not having to reinstall said apps every time you install a new ROM

So yeah apps2SD would be great on your ROM, about the only thing I miss compared to cyanogenmod.

#7 nphil, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. marty4short

marty4short Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also have had no issues with apps to sd I am a big fan of all your guys work. The only time i have ever had a problem is when i flashed new rom with not wiping and would get a fc but easily fixed by just moving it back to internal then back to the sd.

9. THAWARRIOR10

THAWARRIOR10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah when i was running udv10 for a SHORT time, i LOVED the apps2sd feature! it was great knowing the fact that i STILL had room on my droid to install apps and it didn't even seem to slow anything down....so my vote for apps2sd if you can make it happen!

10. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    I'll see what I can do. As always, I value the feedback I receive :)

11. THAWARRIOR10

THAWARRIOR10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and as always, we value your work! :)

12. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your work!