1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Apps2sd

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kasch18, Apr 14, 2010.

1. kasch18

kasch18 New Member

Ok, I know everyone will hate me for posting something as a noob and something I may be able to find through the search engine, but I've read about 500+ pages of forum threads today and my brain is fried. On the plus side I successfully rooted and installed ud10. But... what is apps2sd? I see it in my menu>applications, but it is greyed out and i can't select it. Also, can I delete the old update.zip files off the root? thanks
  2. droidpcguru

droidpcguru New Member

I believe the first post in the UD10 thread explains how to get apps2sd to work. There is also information over at the CM forum on the subject. Basically, an "ext" partition needs to be created on the SD card. Once it is there, apps2sd will no longer be greyed out and you will be able to use it.
  3. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

It allows you to install apps on your sd card...hence the name.

The easiest way to install it is to use ROM manager. The long way : http://www.droidforums.net/forum/blackdroid/37287-adb-auto-partition-droidswap-how-guides.html something like that looks about right.
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Longer explanation:

The Droid (and other android devices) can only install programs into the /data partition (~260MB). The phone can come with things installed in /system (~140MB), but things can only be installed in there with an update or manually.

Seems kind of limiting to only have 400mb total for apps when you have a 16GB SD card sitting there. Apps2sd allows you to migrate programs to the SD card and run them from there.

It requires a high-speed SD card (or accessing apps will be really slow), and it requires that the SD card be partitioned to include a different partition type (ext3, I believe).

Once you have your SD card partitioned (there's probably a utility to do that for you), then the option will probably be enabled.