Apps2SD vs Froyo apps 2 sd Confusion

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ddarvish, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ddarvish

ddarvish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use ultimate droid as my rom....

I have been always confused between the builtin froyo apps2sd and the one the rom community made. I understand that with the froyo version i dont have to do anything special to my sd card and only certain apps that have been given the permission to be moved to the SD card will.

Well i used rom manager to format and partition 512 MB of space on my SD card for use for app2sd which is the non- google version. But i have a hard to distingushing where my apps are being installed, and if they are being installed in 512MB ext partition i made or on the fat 32 partition via the built-in foryo version. How can figure this all out? any good tutorials or anything? i searched everywhere with no luck.

btw when i use Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications and hit move to SD, am i moving it to that encrypted protected folder on the fat32 partition (via froyo app2sd) or am i moving it to that space that i partitioned ... PLEASE HELP!

2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, where to begin...

I guess we should start with terminology.

Before Froyo, "apps2sd" used to mean using a partition on the SD card to store your apps instead of the internal /data partition. But Google released 2.2 "Froyo" which included the ability to install apps to the sd card, which everyone is calling apps2sd now. To clear up any confusion in the future, people have been typically specifying the non-froyo method as "apps2sdext or apps2ext", the ext referring to the ext3-formatted filesystem on the sd card, rather than the fat-formatted one. Conversely, the froyo method is also being called "apps2fat".

How apps2sdext works: Apps2sdext repartitions your SD card into a normal large FAT partition (windows), and a smaller ext partition. The smaller ext partition is "bind mounted" in locations like /data/data and /data/app so that when android tries to write to your data partition, it will write to the SD card instead. This transition is seamless, and you won't see any evidence of where the files are stored unless you dig around in terminal.

How apps2fat works:: Apps2fat is a feature that is built into apps. The app specifies what is stored on the SD card and what is stored in internal memory. The data being stored on the SD card is encrypted and mounted separately per-app for copy-protection purposes. A well-designed app will be smart about storing most things on the SD card, but a large number of apps are not well-designed and will still use up a lot of space on /data. Adobe Flash, for example, takes up something like 12 or 15mb. When you install it "to the SD card" only about 5mb actually moves. The rest has to remain in /data. Apps installed in this method cannot have widgets and cannot be your currently-selected live-wallpaper, or they will fail when you boot your phone. apps2sdext does not have these problems.

With a disclaimer of "I've never used UltimateDroid", I will say that unless it EXPLICITLY states that it requires that you partition your SD card and is using apps2sdext rather than apps2sd or apps2fat, it is most-likely using the froyo method of apps2fat. Applications that show up in Settings|Manage Applications|On SD Card are installed on your SD card using the froyo method. If you were using the apps2sdext method, you would not see any evidence of where your apps are installed.

As far as I know, the only way to manage the apps2sdext style of application moving is through a command-line app (apkmanager) or manually. If there is a graphical or built-in tool, I have not seen it before.

I hope this clears up some of your confusion. I got most of my information through setting up apps2sdext myself and poking around.

3. ddarvish

ddarvish Member

Ratings:
    +0

That REALLLLY cleared a lot of stuff up so i thank you for that. I guess ultimate droid maybe doesnt take advantage of apps2ext because like i said i formated my sd card with rom manager for the apps2ext partition and when i go to setting --> sd card and memory and look at the amount of memory i have available it says 60MB or so... i would expect it to say over 400MB of memory. is that not correct and should there be another place i should be looking to see how much i have free in my /data + ext3/data folders?

if UD doesnt use app2ext are there any roms that currently do?

4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know of any recent ROMs (Froyo or newer) that use apps2sdext natively. There are a couple people that made scripts that can add apps2sdext functionality to other roms, but at the moment, it's dicey at best. I used a combination of a script by firerat and some modifications that I made myself to get it to work on my droid - I'm running CM6.1RC3

5. ddarvish

ddarvish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so it sounds like apps2fat pretty much killed the idea of using apps2ext on all the roms and stuff... that is too bad. Next time i wipe my phone ill set it all up correctly from the beginning using the script, etc.

Thanks for the heads up =)

6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No prob!

I think apps2sdext will make a comeback, at least for the droid1 and older devices that have very limited space in /data, and especially as apps get bigger and bigger and people realize that apps2fat doesn't really let you install very many more apps at all.

I currently have something like 350mb of apps not including 100mb of dalvik cache installed at the moment and working great. I like not having to delete skype to install flash and angry birds :)

Search tags for this page
app2sd emulated

app2sd vs app 2 sd

apps 2 sd froyo

apps2fat

apps2sd droid x2.bin
apps2sd foryio
best app2sd app for foyo
froyo apps