Apps2SD Questions

Jester6x

Reaction score
I've looked through and didn't see the answers to these specific questions.

I installed Apps2SD with no problems. Is it best for performance to move all downloaded apps to the SD such as SetCPU, ROM Manager Premium, and my Helix launcher or should those be left internal?

As mentioned above I am using the Helix launcher, so when I upgrade to a newer version of a Cyanogen ROM and do a data wipe, all of my settings should remain intact since Helix is on the SD card, or do I have to re-download after the wipe?

Thanks for the help.

Alex K.

Reaction score
I've looked through and didn't see the answers to these specific questions.

I installed Apps2SD with no problems. Is it best for performance to move all downloaded apps to the SD such as SetCPU, ROM Manager Premium, and my Helix launcher or should those be left internal?

As mentioned above I am using the Helix launcher, so when I upgrade to a newer version of a Cyanogen ROM and do a data wipe, all of my settings should remain intact since Helix is on the SD card, or do I have to re-download after the wipe?

Thanks for the help.

I've never used apps2sd (always thought it was iffy.) But, to my knowledge, it is essentially a hyperlink from /system/app to the partition on your sdcard. So when you do a data wipe, it may delete everything through the hyperlink. I would leave all performance-based applications (BeautifulWidgets, any Home Replacements, Launcher2) in the system folder so you don't experience slowdowns. SetCPU doesn't need to be moved, because it isn't a performance-based app. It sets speed, and after that it doesn't do anything until it is required again. That's just my personal thoughts though.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
I would agree, leave system apps installed locally, everything else move to the SD card.

I can run Google Earth off the SD card with no noticeable difference, so running apps from there is no problem, even on a stock class2 sd card.

Also there's an option in menu=>applications that lets you auto install new apps to the SD card

Maverick0984

Reaction score
I've never used apps2sd (always thought it was iffy.) But, to my knowledge, it is essentially a hyperlink from /system/app to the partition on your sdcard. So when you do a data wipe, it may delete everything through the hyperlink. I would leave all performance-based applications (BeautifulWidgets, any Home Replacements, Launcher2) in the system folder so you don't experience slowdowns. SetCPU doesn't need to be moved, because it isn't a performance-based app. It sets speed, and after that it doesn't do anything until it is required again. That's just my personal thoughts though.

They are called symbolic links.

Hyperlinks are links to internet addresses.

Alex K.

Reaction score

They are called symbolic links.

Hyperlinks are links to internet addresses.

I don't know why I said hyperlink, I meant to say shortcut, but speaking technically yes, symbolic link is correct. I used to have to make them all the time in the ssh terminal when I did iPod touch hacking. :p It's been so long I forget the command for creating one. :x

Hyperlinks also work to files if you add a file path instead of an http/s protocol.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I keep all apps on the system that I use a lot like google apps and other stuff that run as widgets and in the background, live wallpapers, weatherbug, and so on. Then tools, games, and other stuff that I just run in the moment I put on the SD. Seems to work great for me.

Alex K.

Reaction score
I keep all apps on the system that I use a lot like google apps and other stuff that run as widgets and in the background, live wallpapers, weatherbug, and so on. Then tools, games, and other stuff that I just run in the moment I put on the SD. Seems to work great for me.

In theory, there shouldn't be any problem placing every single one of your apps on the SD.

OP
Jester6x

Jester6x

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.

Before I made the post I had already moved everything to the SD card because the location of all the apps was technically "Internal" and not "System". Things have been running very quickly even with the stock class 2 SD card.

I guess what I am trying to avoid is having to reinstall everything (that is downloaded) when I do a system wipe. Alex K you said that you think a data wipe would remove all the data on the other side of the symbolic link, wouldn't that partially defeat the purpose of the Apps2SD?

Alex K.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.

Before I made the post I had already moved everything to the SD card because the location of all the apps was technically "Internal" and not "System". Things have been running very quickly even with the stock class 2 SD card.

I guess what I am trying to avoid is having to reinstall everything (that is downloaded) when I do a system wipe. Alex K you said that you think a data wipe would remove all the data on the other side of the symbolic link, wouldn't that partially defeat the purpose of the Apps2SD?

"Internal" means that the applications are in the /system/app folder.
/system only has a certain amount of space that it can hold, so apps2sd creates probably a few byte symbolic link to a partition it creates on your SD card that will remove all or most of the apps from /system/app, freeing space for, say, themes or other things that are in the system folder. I'm not sure exactly, but if it sends a command that deletes the tree of /app, it will remove everything on the other side of the symbolic link. You could delete the symbolic link before wiping and all of your apps will most definitely remain intact, and when you install whatever you are installing, you can just create another symbolic link (I'll post the command once I take the time to find it) which will restore apps2sd compatibility. But now that I think about it more, apps2sd seems like more of a collection of symbolic links per app rather than just one that moves the entire /app folder.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I am interested in if you can restore the apps from the SD card if you do a complete wipe. I have been running all of my apps from my SD card and i have not noticed any lag in loading the apps. I find my phone to be slightly faster because it does not have the many apps slowing it down.

Droids

Reaction score
A data and cache wipe shouldn't touch the apps folder on the sd card. I moved every app that was movable to the card. Phone and all apps work just fine.

Droids

Reaction score
Actually I think a data wipe will wipe the apps off the sd card, so still need to back them up if you're going to wipe. I'm looking forward to not have to wipe in the future. I went from 5.0.6.1 to 6.2 without data or cache wipe and all apps and data (like sms messages) were still there, and no issues.

Alex K.

Reaction score
Actually I think a data wipe will wipe the apps off the sd card, so still need to back them up if you're going to wipe. I'm looking forward to not have to wipe in the future. I went from 5.0.6.1 to 6.2 without data or cache wipe and all apps and data (like sms messages) were still there, and no issues.

You don't have to data wipe in between the same build of a rom.

However,

Jrummy to Cyan to SGE to CleanLooks all need data wipes.