Apps2sd on ext partition with gpa15

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by diesburg, Jul 10, 2011.

1. diesburg

diesburg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    New thread made for problems getting apps2sd ext to work on gpa15 and/or other pete roms. I have tried dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2 and dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04 and whatever mr_silent linked to although I wasnt totally sure on which options to choose with it... and with all three of those I tried, I tried with chevy kernels, peter alfonsos kernels..... the roms I have tried are cm7 stable release 7.0.3, cm7 7.1.0 rc1, petes gpa15, latest gb 2.3.4 beta from pete..... steel droid 7.2 with petes kernels..... all with the same result... my ext partition is not mounting... oh yea, I also, tried ext2 and ext3 partitions, made ext partitions with CWM, nd also tried making ext partition from "apps2sd check" in terminal.... any help is appreciated.... need anymore info from me or for me to try something, let me know, nothing but time here right now...lol

EDIT: Forgot to say above... I'm not trying any crazy size for the ext partition or anything, its 512mb size.....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. mr_silent

mr_silent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Petes kernels only support ext4 format. That's why I recommend chevy's. Rom manager doesn't format ext4 so id recommend gparted for this. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    Read the instructions carefully. This is the best software I've found for formatting just about all types of memory. You'll have to make sure and uncheck the "align to mb" option and set it to "align to none". I'm still backing up my sdcard so give me a few minutes to get back.

Still looking for a better reason to post from anything other than the OG

3. diesburg

diesburg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Awesome, my ext partition is currently formatted as ext4 so I'll leave it be for now. I've got several different linux distros installed on a couple external drives, so formatting ext4 with linux isn't a problem. I believe gparted is even already installed on my ubuntu. I'm getting different things happening now that I try ext4. It still doesn't mount right, but when I run the command "apps2sd check" I get "permission denied" now.... never got that before I formatted to ext4, apps2sd always gave me status before.... and my terminal does have SU permissions in case you're wondering..... This happens after I install darktremor apps2sd script on a fresh rom install...... and like I said, ext4 partition now..... here are some erros I get when I try to "force sd-ext mount script" using fr-patch141-BETA2 , one of the scripts you originally linked me to.

after choosing option "0" to execute force sd-ext mount operation I get this:

expr: syntax error
    [: 67: unknown operand
    expr: syntax error
    [: 67: unknown operand
    /system/etc/init.d/*userinit*: No such file or directory
    /dev/05mountsd: e2fsck: permission denied
    Usage: mount [-r] (dont think this line matters, omitting from post)
    mount sd-ext installed
    ================================
    grep: /system/etc/custom_backup_list.txt: No such file or ddirectory
    mountrw: not found

4. mr_silent

mr_silent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you've ran fix permissions already.

5. diesburg

diesburg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I may have got it working.... let me tinker for a few more..... need to clear some caches I think, apps are failing from the market.....

6. mr_silent

mr_silent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope so cause I'm having trouble using rom manager to partition. Can't find my gparted iso and I'm stuck with an xp laptop. Gonna try and run mke2fs.

7. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    once you figure this out please email me so I dont have to keep up with this thread, even if the email is as simple as telling me you need ext3 or ext2 modules with my kernel.

8. diesburg

diesburg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Try "Minitool partition wizard home edition" its free for home use and worked great for making ext partitions for android on a number of other phones..... before when it worked on other phones, I just made my fat32 partition first as primary partition, then the ext4 with the remainder of the space, also as primary partition...... never failed me before...

9. diesburg

diesburg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Will do, one quick question, if I can get this working succesfully, would it be ok with you if I made an "edit" of your rom and posted it on xda and here.... the edit would have simple changes such as some extra apps, adw launcher instead of default, aps2sdext already installed, maybe a different bootanimation.... also, if I can, I will post all credits to you letting ppl know I just made a few simple changes to make the rom more ideal for me and a link to the original thread and a paypal donation link to you if you have one.......if not cool, I understand, you probably put a lot of work and time into this rom....

10. diesburg

diesburg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I kind of got it working on a rom.... chevy's latest SS rom..... it says on his kernel thread, ext2 modules must be loaded with lns or something like that... or you can load them with the tools in his rom so I tried it.... in the tools, you can enable ext2/3 or 4...... and it worked when I mounted it... so, to do that with your rom and his kernel, I need to load the modules with lns or whatever he said.... which I am totally clueless about right now so I am googling that up to see if I could at least get his kernel and your rom working with a2sdext...... and if i can, move on to your kernel....

EDIT: forgot to say, I have to manually remount every boot

I have now been able to repeat the process on GPA15 with chevy kernel and ext2/3, and steel droid with chevy kernel.... but cant do the same thing on the same rom with your kernel :( anyways, I think some stuff isnt loading right.... for chevy's kernel on your rom... all i have to do is "insmod /system/lib/modules/mbcache.ko and ext2.ko and then make the sd-ext directory, then it mounts no problem..... cant get the module to load using insmod because doing the same thing it says no such file or directory.... and i know ext4.ko is there, i checked.... also, modprobe doesnt work, its pointing to the wrong directory /lib/modules/ instead of /SYSTEM/lib/modules i think ??? ANd I think where a2sd scripts (ive been messing with several different ones) are looking for ext partition in the wrong place... if im right, they are looking at /dev/block/blk1p2 and it should be blk0p2 ??? well, it's a start to working apps2ext hopefully this can get all the way figured out.... i will be busy today so i wont have time to mess with it much more for about 12 hours....lol... wish I could be more help to the community but I'm only a little ways into android, not so awesome with android like others here....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  11. diesburg

diesburg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    im tired... no sleep... but it works kind of ?

Ok, I got it to mount ext4 partition and recognize stuff right........theres another module... it was called *bd2.ko , cant remember the exact name, look in modules folder and you will see it.... anyways.... ext4 wont load because that module has to be loaded first for ext4 module to load right.... so load that module first, then ext4 module with insmod and you got your ext4 stuff mounted correctly.... with root explorer make an sd-ext folder where it usually is because that folder doesnt exist in petes gpa15 like it does other roms....then you can mount, i noticed in gpa15, you have to type the "-rw -t ext4" options in with the mount command or it wont work right and in other roms it works without adding those extra options.......so after all that, download "freespace" app from the market.... and your ext4 partition is there and shows empty/free/total space correctly and you can browse the partition too..... and i found a nifty app called "simple2ext" in the market....got a nice little GUI and from what I can see it does what dtapps2sd does but easier, quicker to install and with a GUI and has options to have certain things on and off ext partition.....but heres where the problem comes in.... with that app, you check the boxes for which locations you want to move to sd-ext, then reboot, while rebooting and taking extra time to do so it moves your apps where you asked them to be moved......BUT, when android reboots, those module loading commands we did, making the sd-ext folder and mounting the partition... you have to do that all over again and because of that, **** didnt get mounted correctly on boot so nothing got moved the way it should..... i barely touched the surface on init.d and init.rc ..... my quick thoughts are init.d would be the way to get everything loaded right on bootup.... but no init.d folder in petes gpa15.... if i understood correctly though init.rc is where you need to tell the system to load up scripts from init.d.... so maybe it can be done...... oh yea in case anyone tried this, after all the steps, if you use simple2ext app, if boxes are greyed out in the app where you cant change anything, you probably did something wrong... i used fresh install of the rom with only needed apps for doing all this stuff and made sure those apps WERE ON internal storage so i didnt run into issues later.... and the same works with chevys kernel but for the modules, mbcache.ko needs to be loaded before ext2.ko and of course an ext2 formatted partition instead of ext4......im really tired and probably wont get much more figured out until i sleep but I believe I got it all figured out, just need to get **** done automatically on boot now.... and if anyone is wondering, I accidentally figured out that the other module had to be loaded up before ext4 module would load correctly.... i just went to the modules directory and tried starting other modules before starting ext4 because chevys kernel post instructed to load something before ext2 module would load..... and if i didnt mention it before .... i think it was modprobe..... it points to a wrong directory and needs fixed.... i did all this without modprobe but I believe modprobe wouldve been nifty to use......and another small side thing, most apps2sd instructions and scripts i found say to mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2.... no, with our phone, its /mmcblk0p2 ...... anyways, any advice on init.d and init.rc solutions, let me know, i barely touched the surface so me alone, it will probably take days of tinkering to get it all right.....if ever...lol

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  12. diesburg

diesburg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If anyone can help me on this it would be great, I think this is a pretty simple question for whoever has the knowledge. I used Simply Stunning GB 5.4 to see how it works when apps2sd works the correct way. In checvy's SS rom, he includes chevy tools which has scripts and other nifty stuff. In chevy tools, you can go to network/file systems, and in there, just check the filesystem you want the modules loaded for on startup. In my case ext3. And by the way, chevy's kernel DOES support ext4 also, I just choose no to ext4 because you cant back ext4 up with nandroid. Anyways, I checked the ext3 option, and rebooted to verify ext3 modules are loaded on each boot and they are. So i checked the file "04modules" in init.d to see if it added it there. It didn't add it there, still the only module being called for loading there is ipv6 . It's adding it somewhere else, that I think is why I can't get ext4 to autoload with petes rom because I'm asking for ext4 modules to be loaded in the wrong place. Anyone know where/what in chevy's rom when you use that script in his tools that it is putting/changing to make ext2/3/4 load? If anyone does, that is probably the same thing I need to change in gpa15. If I can just get the module to autoload, I'm sure it would be fully working for me. For the mount, the app links2sd or whatever you use should put that in for you on boot or at least it did for me on SS 5.4 rom so I didn't have to worry about getting it to automount. But yea, to sum up, in chevy's SS rom, it is not changing the file 04modules in init.d to autoload ext modules, it's changing something somewhere else and I need to know where to change that on petes rom.

Just a quick idea... I've never really used logcat, just for a few minutes one day.... but if I ran logcat while using chevy tools to make the ext module change, would it say in logcat what was changed?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
Search tags for this page
/dev/block/mmcblk1p2 permission denied
ap2sd ext4 script
cyanogenmod 7.2 ext4 a855
droid a855 firmware partible

galaxy s4 dtapps2sd

gparted ext4 sd card razr hd

how to mount sd-ext partition android
mount ext partition a2sd