Apps violating your privacy!

csimo

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you use a Droid, or another type of cell phone or TV or cable or satellite. It also doesn't matter if you DON'T use them. You have no privacy. The US government can get and will get all your information. They are partnered with Google and together they can get ANY information that they want. Don't believe me? Go to Google earth and type in ANY address you want. Your's, your families, who ever. Then see how close you can get to your house. I know I can look right into my back yard. I can actually see the concrete pavers that are in my walk way! Bottom line.... you don't need to use or do anything to lose your information. If you exist in this world, they know and have or can get ALL of your information at any time they want! Don't live in fear.... you can't control it.

I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't make it right. I can't stop a satellite from looking into my back yard, but hopefully I can keep my phone call data away from advertisers.

I hope someone will come up with some kind of firewall app that will allow us to block such data. I'd buy an app that did that for a reasonable price. I think many others would too.

Others don't care who knows their personal data and that's fine with me, but I don't understand someone telling me that I shouldn't be concerned. That's a very unusual position and I'm not sure how any reasonable person could object to me wanting to maintain my privacy.

So I can't stop the satellites, but maybe I can stop the apps. Maybe not.

hatcyl

Reaction score
You do have a point there. A phone should NOT share your data unless you give it permission.

The problem here is Verizon preinstalling apps on your phone and not letting you uninstall.

I know you never mentioned Angry Birds, it was a figure of speech.

All I'm saying is that:
1. You do have control over your info.
2. Apps DO need your permission to access your info.
3. Apps make money from your info.

And I'm just arguing for discussions sake, I really couldn't care less.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I don't know what phone you have... I have the Droid X.

I cannot add a contact to my phone without it sharing that info with Google and whoever else they choose to share it with.

The phone has an app called CityId preinstalled and cannot be removed that shares all your call information with whoever that company is. The app cannot be removed.

There are about 30 other preinstalled apps that I did not get a choice to say if I want to share my data or not.

Why does Amazon need to know my call data? The app is preinstalled and cannot be removed.

So no, you don't have control over your data unless you choose not to use the device at all... but yes we all do have the choice to live "off the grid" and not have a cell phone, home phone, power or city water if we want. Sort of like the stone age.

So yes, I would like there to be an app that allows me to block all that data from everyone (including Google). I cannot imagine why anyone would be opposed to such an idea unless they have a vested interest in my data.

Advertisers do not need my personal data. Television ads don't know who I call and are much more successful than any cell phone app in history. Same for radio, newspaper, and just about every other form of advertising. So the value of such data for advertising purposes is nothing but a lame excuse to try and get information I prefer not to share.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
C

Chuck931

Reaction score
I would pay for an app not to share my data but even paying for an app, doesn't prevent my info from being shared. That being said why should I give up my smart phone, my user agreement which I finished reading today states that I may opt out sharing of infomation 1-800-333-9956 (CPNI) info I did also looked for google market place or something but the CPNI also goes for Verizon affiliates also. Developers are not intrested in giving up that cash cow, well to be fair not all are. How long do you think marketplace would allow a firewall or cleaner stay on before removing it, to save arguments let's me say its google absolute right to do so, why couldn't me as consumer say I want to get marketplace off my phone without rooting it. Why are there barriers preventing me from doing so. My opinion is money and control. Which is a pain for me I am old school, im the customer you take care of me if unwilling let me go elsewhere other app markets yes I may screw up and upload the wrong thing that on me but when I am prevented from doing so I get ticked. Again I welcome peoples views pro,con middle. It's a money opertunity for developers I understand the loss in revenues this would be. I would pay for an APP that prevents wondering eyes and removes data sniffers. If you want my data get a court order at least I can get the public record to do so. Do you all remember when Microsoft when to court over not letting consumers remove explorer, I think this is where google is heading. Which I hope is sooner then later just think if the courts sided with Microsoft. Google search wouldn't be allowed on your pc without microsoft search turning back as default search engine.

Sent from and data collected from my provider