Apps vanishing!

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I appologize ahead of time if this is a duplicate post. I searched and only found this issue for the Bionic. (I got my hands slapped on the Motorola site for duplicating a post)

I have just gotten a Droid 3 and overall I like the phone, when it's not rebooting on me. I had several apps installed that suddenly disappeared! The icons were there, but the phone said "This app is not installed" when I selected it. I checked on the Motorola site and they said that the solution is to not put the apps on the SD card. None were on the SD card. Several were in the media area, where they're supposed to be, and now I am hearing not to put it there either. In addition, with only 5 or 6 "small" apps (1 Mb or less) the phone tells me there is not enough memory to install anything else and sometimes says downloaded apps are corrupted and can't install! When I go into my storage settings I have 1.70GB of available app storage, 10.56GB of available internal storage and 4.33GB of available SD card storage. I am so confused and Motorola's site has no answers even though they declared the topic solved.

Help please?? This is only phone number 8 in less than 1 year!

Greg

thejacked1

Reaction score
Work around I've found for this is (I use launcher pro) instead of dragging the icon to the homescreen, long press the homescreen, click shortcut, applications, then select the app u want. An app that I had disappear daily has now not moved in 3 weeks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
The problem of apps, that have been moved to either the 'media area' or the external SD, disappearing has been reported in the forums many times over the past year. The only solution I have seen is to move the apps back to the phone area and never move apps to the SD card.

When this started occurring on the OG Droid, I suspected that it had to do with the class of the micro-SD card that was installed. I had a class 2, which is a 'slow' class. Now that this is occuring when apps are moved to the 'media area', which is internal storage, I suspect there is a software timing problem that causes addressability to be lost. This happens when there is a call for an app prior to 'system access' to the storage area being granted or made available. Since the storage area is not 'available' at the time the app needs it, it appears to vanish.

The reason I think this is the case, of the timing between the 'call' to the app and the access to the storage area is that when I encounter this, and then power down/power up, I do not always see identical the same identical apps as problems, sometimes the same apps are not available, and sometimes the list of apps changes, usually gets worse, but occasionally the list shrinks.

Just my thoughts on the problem.

Good luck,
Bob

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I moved all my apps to the phone and I will see how it works. When I get an error saying there is no memory for apps, I clear the cache and that sometimes fixes the problem. Other times I have to reboot the phone and then I can install files.

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
The Droid 3 problems seem more managable than the DX and DX2 problems. Time will tell for sure, but so far so good.