Apps to SD question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by twentydeuce, Dec 9, 2010.

1. twentydeuce

twentydeuce New Member

I have been rooted and flashing ROMS for the last few months and each time I flash, I wipe. If I have used the manage applications/move to sd for an app will that app be wiped or is it still somewhere on my SD card? I don't want to just keep reinstalling apps and getting clutter on the SD card.
  2. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

after you wipe and flash a new rom, and the mkt dl's all of your apps, you won't have duplicate apps. but, you will have to re-move your apps to your sdcard. however, GirLuvsDroid has a procedure for flashing with TiBu that will automatically reinstall your apps to your sdcard:

1. Purchase the license for Titanium Backup (TiBu) if you don't already have it -- it's worth it -- and go to Batch and use "Backup all user apps + system data."

2. Do a nandroid backup of your current setup, then, using ClockworkMod Recovery, do a factory reset (wipe data and cache), then go into the partitions menu and do a wipe of boot, then of system.

3. Install the ROM zip file following the instructions in the OP.

4. Once you boot up, touch the top left, then the top right, then the bottom right, then the bottom left (in a square pattern) of the screen to skip Google sign in.

5. Make sure you have "Unknown sources" checked in System>Applications.

6. Open TiBu and go into Preferences and make sure you have "Force to same location" checked (this will then make sure your apps and data are restored to the device and SD card, as applicable, exactly as they were when you did your backup).

7. Go into Batch and and start with "Restore missing apps + all system data" -- we'll do apps and data in the next step. When you restore missing apps + all missing data, here's the important thing: press "Deselect all" and ONLY check the items in GREEN (this will restore all your call log, SMS/MMS, accounts, wifi and bluetooth connections, etc.). If you restore the stuff in red, you're restoring system data from prior ROMs, which could cause you all kinds of issues. NOW, here's another very important caveat: some people have found that restoring [SETTINGS/BLUETOOTH] Settings Storage 2.2.1 from "Restore missing apps + all system data" can cause issues (for example, if you had a password (PIN) to unlock your phone when you did your TiBu backup and you restore this setting on your new ROM, you may find yourself completely locked out after you set your password on your new ROM and you reboot -- which means that you'd have to wipe and start over again; also restoring that item from one version of LFY to the next, or coming from LFY to PE3, restores all the Liquid Tweaks data, including color choices in Interface, etc., and on LFY, this causes FCs in SpareParts--funny thing, though, I restored this item from LFY 1.95 to PE3 as an experiment and it restored all my settings from Liquid Tweaks to Elite Options and didn't cause any FCs in Spare Parts). One additional thing: you won't see some of your data (call log, SMS/MMS, etc.) until after a reboot -- I generally wait until Step 10 when I need to reboot to make my backup anyway, but it's certainly fine for you to go ahead and reboot now if you want to ensure that all your data is there.

8. After you've finished restoring the items in green (other than the one in my caveat above unless you're feeling adventurous), run "Restore missing apps with data" (these will all be missing items that are in WHITE text) and go through the list and make sure you've got only the items you really want to restore checked. DON'T restore Liquid Tweaks or Spare Parts if they're on your list.

9. Go to Settings>Accounts & sync, Add account and sign in to Google. Make sure Auto-sync is checked and that Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail and Sync Calendar, etc. are checked, and allow them to sync. It's possible that the Accounts restore in Step 7 already restored your account, but you should still look to be sure all your items are checked.

10. Make a nandroid backup of this setup BEFORE you start adding themes and kernels -- that way, it's easy to revert back to stock and start over if a theme or kernel messes you up.

If you run across any apps that restore from Market without your data, because you missed them in your TiBu restore, just go into TiBu and go to filters, type the name of the app, and restore data only.

The only thing left is that you'll likely have to set up your widgets again (at least I do in Sweeter Home 2) and you may have to restore some of your ringtones in contacts, Gmail, calendar and Gtalk.

One other note: if you have Swype, I've found that TiBu restore doesn't work right. If you have the official beta version that you're reinstalling from the Swype beta website, you'll want to reinstall the Swype installer, then Swype FIRST, before your full TiBu restore, to avoid the memory issues that plague Swype installs.
  3. twentydeuce

twentydeuce New Member

WOW! Thanks for the rundown. I have always simply let the apps redownload, never knew that trick to skip the Google screen. I'll give that a shot next time I flash a new rom.
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Excellent write up, Husker!
  5. huskerkate

that write up is just a "copy and paste" of GirLuvsDroid's process. i can't take any credit for it, or GLD would beat me like a rented mule... ;)
  6. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

I would never beat a mule, rented or otherwise (you, on the other hand....). :p
  7. mwhartman

Great job, GirLuvsDroids!

What a gentlemen Husker
  8. huskerkate

now you're just egging her on - better make sure that "sensor" button is well oiled!
  9. mwhartman

Nah, I prefer to [​IMG]toss em!
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  10. huskerkate

unfortunately for me, she has far too much evidence to the contrary re: the "gentleman" monicker... :)
  11. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

Nice to see you admit it, Husker...that's always the first step!! ;)