1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Apps to monitor actual CPU speed?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jcardona1, Feb 5, 2010.

1. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

using BB 7.4 and setcpu, and i was wondering if you guys know anygood widgets to show the actual cpu speeds at any given time. i would like something simliar to the desktop widget you get with setcpu.

thanks!
  2. rdm128

rdm128 New Member

Overclock Widget is free and will display current speed. It does need root access.
  3. searayman

searayman New Member

anything free fro checking our droids temperatures?
  4. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

Battery life widget
  5. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

thanks. tried overclock widget. basically the same as the setcpu widget on my desktop. i was hoping for something real time that shows actual cpu speeds, as currently being used by the phone...
  6. rdm128

rdm128 New Member

I'll have to go back and look at it again. The SetCPU widget shows the limits (Highest and lowest potential speeds) in the icon. I thought the Overclock Widget showed the current speed (albeit a slow refresh) instead of the limits.

Sorry if I mislead.
  7. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

Apparently it is just not practical.

From Michael Huang's SETCPU tutorial :
    FAQ

Why doesn't the widget update with the real time speed?
    In short, such a widget would have to either be too imprecise to be useful, or too much of a CPU/battery drain to be useful. From a performance standpoint, and for the sake of accuracy, it simply isn't worth it. On the "ondemand" setting, the system polls the CPU load and decides whether to scale up the CPU at an extremely fast interval (equal to the "sampling rate" value explained above, in microseconds). For example, by default, on the latest CyanogenMod, this happens once every 20,000 microseconds (that's 50 times per second!). I would have to make the widget update the speed at least this quickly in order for it to be accurate. A slower update interval (which some other CPU scaling applications use) would make the reading inaccurate - the speed could have scaled up and down at anytime during the interval. These changes would never have been detected. As you can imagine, updating 50 times a second would put a significant drain on both battery life and CPU power when the widget is visible, and such a quick polling interval could in itself cause the CPU to scale up to maximum.
  8. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I rooted for the first time yesterday but went back to stock this morning. Thought I'd try it again tonight and using Sholes. So far, so good compared to yesterday, although I don't know what I did different. I am also using setcpu and did a search for widgets to monitor the speed and found this thread. Apparently that isn't going to happen, but makes sense what SANHacker posted.

I did, however install the battery life widget and my Battery temperature is 91.4F - what is a normal battery temperature? I'm at 800 mhz OC.
  9. HackAzz

HackAzz New Member

Spam App!

Great App! Thanks!
Search tags for this page

android cpu frequency widget

android cpu monitor widget

android cpu speed monitor

android cpu speed widget

android show cpu speed

android show current cpu speed
android widget cpu speed