Apps that really kill the battery

hoops8

Reaction score
I am looking for a list of the apps that really kill/drain the DX battery the most. I know task killers are not supposed to be run to save battery life so I need to know which apps I can kill manually to maximize battery life. Right now I am barely getting through the day on a full charge (my DX is only about 3 days old though). Thanks.

One other thing, any idea why Wifi keeps turning itself back on, even after I turn it off manually?

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Apps that poll for updates kill the battery fairly well, like facebook, twitter, etc.

From your home screen, press menu, then go to settings, then battery manager, then check your usage statistics.

That'll give you an idea of what has used most of your battery recently. From that list, you can click an app and force it to stop if you want to.

As for wifi, that's pretty odd. You could have an app starting it, but I can't think of any that do. Are you sure you're shutting it off and not just disconnecting from a network??

Emitted from X.

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
Yeah I am pretty sure I am turning it off. From the Home Scree, I swipe twice to the left and up top, I can see the 4 widgets up top (Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS and Airplane mode). From there, I turn Wifi off, but sometimes when I check it, it turns itself back on. It's crazy.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm...I know of at least one app that will turn it on when you're in range of a trusted network and back off when you leave, but if you haven't downloaded anything like that, that IS very strange...

Emitted from X.

Urufu_Shinjiro

Reaction score
I can definitely say that Live Holdem will drain the crap out of my battery, doesn't matter if it's 3G or wifi, I can take a 90% charge down to 40% or less with about an hour or so of playing that game. Kinda sucks, cause Live Holdem is my fav right now, lol.

Mule65

Reaction score
Try running Pandora and Navigate at the same time. :)

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
Yeah I think that app is called Locale. I am not running that, I don't even have that. Anyone else know why the Wifi would be turning itself on by itself?

donballz

Reaction score
Tasker is similar to locale... um, it should be impossible

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
Ok, it keeps doing it. Wifi keeps turning on by itself. I went into Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications and I am looking at all the apps that are running. Most of which I have no idea what they are, but I have Force Stopped about 7 or 8 of them (of which I never started in the first place). Could there be an app running that is periodically turning Wifi on? If so, how can I find out which app it is? Thanks.

mwm523

Reaction score
Those built-in toggle widgets are terrible IMO. Instead of turning off the wifi with the toggle widget on your home screen, try turning it off in Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wifi. It would be interesting to see if you get a different result.

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
I will try that and see what happens. That sucks, those widgets are there for convenience. How can they not work?

OP
H

hoops8

Reaction score
Ok got it FIXED! Here is what was happening. I am running the app 'Profiles'. It lets me use a one-touch method to quickly switch between vibrate and loud ringer (amoung other tweaks). Each time I swiched between profiles, I didn't realize it was that, that was turning the Wifi back on (it has a setting when you edit the profile). Switched it off and all is good. Quick question, do most people turn Wifi on at home to use their wireless network? I know Wifi drains the battery quickly. Thanks.

donballz

Reaction score
The thing that drains the battery is constantly polling to check for known networks or open networks. When you are home and constantly connected to the network, it uses less battery than 3g.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk