Apps that modify Car Dock Mode

Thurston

Reaction score
Do any exist? I'd love to swap out some of the default buttons.

For instance, I'd never use the search button. The voice search is there and if I'm driving I don't want to type much. I think a music or Pandora button would be much better suited. Maybe even make the arc containing the buttons scrollable to reach other buttons.

I don't think anything like this exists but maybe I just haven't seen it.

Bill Beltway

Reaction score
I agree. The driving mode is next to useless. When I have the Droid in the dashboard dock, and it's already on with the driving mode screen up, if a call comes in I still have to unlock the phone and then press "Speakerphone!" What a horror! Is there any app I can get that will make it so that when I'm in driving mode and a call comes in, all I have to do is hit a big button on the screen and (if there's no bluetooth attached) the phone will simply answer the call in speakerphone mode? Making me go through two semi-complicated touches is dangerous and ridiculous. -BB

DaveJustDave

Reaction score
You can always get a BT headset, BT integration in your car, or just a car that supports BT..

In my car, i just hit a button on the steering wheel when the phone rings.

I agree. The driving mode is next to useless. When I have the Droid in the dashboard dock, and it's already on with the driving mode screen up, if a call comes in I still have to unlock the phone and then press "Speakerphone!" What a horror! Is there any app I can get that will make it so that when I'm in driving mode and a call comes in, all I have to do is hit a big button on the screen and (if there's no bluetooth attached) the phone will simply answer the call in speakerphone mode? Making me go through two semi-complicated touches is dangerous and ridiculous. -BB

OP
T

Thurston

Reaction score

I forgot to mention this! Not having speaker phone engage automatically when you answer a call in car mode is a huge oversight. I really hope someone figures out how to change this.

ScooberJake

Reaction score
Just installed my new car dock. Found the same problem, doesn't automatically do speakerphone? Are you kidding? HUGE oversight. I would recommend against a car dock until this is implemented, what a waste. And something so simple and obvious, I just assumed it would be there. Surely this will be fixed in an upcoming update?

Anyone know where to submit requests for future updates? Anyone know of an app to replace or modify the dock modes?

Also, no music or Pandora link from the car dock? Crazy.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here, but have been reading all the great info on these boards for a while now. Anyway, theres an app called car mode that just toggles speakerphone on and off. Nothing special, and I'm sure a shortcut could probably be used instead, but its been working for me

eNonsense

Reaction score
I also definitely think there should be music controls in car mode. I always have to start my music before I put my phone in the dock, and go back to the home screen if I want to change it while in the dock.

I've actually never answered a call in my car since I got my car dock. Before though, when I've had my phone in my car I've always had a cord going from the headphone jack to an input on the faceplate of my CD player, so when I receive a call it does automatically pause the music and switch my phone to speaker phone and routs my call over my car speakers.

Are you saying that if it's in car mode it cancels out this function? Or does it only do what you guys are talking about if you don't have anything plugged into the headphone jack and are just using the phone's external speaker for GPS and stuff.

ScooberJake

Reaction score
Just installed my new car dock. Found the same problem, doesn't automatically do speakerphone? Are you kidding? HUGE oversight. I would recommend against a car dock until this is implemented, what a waste. And something so simple and obvious, I just assumed it would be there. Surely this will be fixed in an upcoming update?

Anyone know where to submit requests for future updates? Anyone know of an app to replace or modify the dock modes?

Problem SOLVED! Or, at least partially. "Car Dock Speakerphone" app automatically sets all calls to speakerphone while in the dock, changes back to handset mode when removing from dock.

techguru

Reaction score

Problem SOLVED! Or, at least partially. "Car Dock Speakerphone" app automatically sets all calls to speakerphone while in the dock, changes back to handset mode when removing from dock.

Also, connecting with a BT headset over-rides. Just about perfect....

Alan

brochaos

Reaction score
i have my aux connected from the phoen to the car when it's in my car dock. i also have to back right out of car dock mode to load pandora. instead of replacing buttons on the app, it would be cool if we could set "magnet polarity 1" to just launch a specific app.

one thing i have noticed, regarding the speakerphone not-enabled thing, since the other person is coming out of my car speakers, i can hear them just fine, and even leaving the speakerphone disabled, they can hear me just fine. so that is not an issue at all for me.

ScooberJake

Reaction score
instead of replacing buttons on the app, it would be cool if we could set "magnet polarity 1" to just launch a specific app.

Locale can do that, with a couple plug-ins. Would work well if you always run Pandora, for instance, when in the car. I sometimes listen to NPR, sometimes would like to go Pandora, so having controls on the Car Dock screen would still be nice for me.

techguru

Reaction score
i have my aux connected from the phoen to the car when it's in my car dock. i also have to back right out of car dock mode to load pandora. instead of replacing buttons on the app, it would be cool if we could set "magnet polarity 1" to just launch a specific app.

one thing i have noticed, regarding the speakerphone not-enabled thing, since the other person is coming out of my car speakers, i can hear them just fine, and even leaving the speakerphone disabled, they can hear me just fine. so that is not an issue at all for me.

There is a plugin for Locale that can detect when you are docked and which dock (home or car), there is another plugin that can launch an app based on any detected condition, and there is an app that will suppress the car doc app (although I haven't tried them together, so I don't know if it also prevents Locale from detecting the dock state).

I suspect some smart developers will start creating customizable dock apps soon. If I was a better programmer I would be doing it already, but I am not ready to venture there yet.

Alan

brochaos

Reaction score
did not know that!! thanks guys. i knew what locale was, but i thought it only did things based off of gps location.

Wongway

Reaction score
automatically putting it to speaker phone mode can't be the majority view of Droid owners.

What if your car has bluetooth? Many new cars since 2001 had bluetooth as an option. I push a button on the steering wheel to answer a call.
What about bluetooth headsets? Those have been out for just as long as well. Slap yourself in the ear to answer a call.
Upgraded stereo headunits have had bluetooth as available options as well.

drowe

Reaction score
To completly replace the dock look for Car Dock in the market. It gives you 5 screens with 6 LARGE icons to tap. The icons are all user settable for any program, shortcut, direct dial, etc. Just can't have a widget on the screen. It uses the default icons and enlarges them so some of them are a little fuzzy. You can choose your own icons if you want to.

David