Apps safe to remove

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I root, will I get ICS when Verizon pushes it out?

Depends on what you do with root. I would freeze for now but I would also do a backup before hand..

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

akiles

Reaction score
yes.
rooting by itself does not do anything to your device.
you will be notified there is an update. you will be able to download it. after that, the update will most likely remove root access.

if you forget to unfreeze all you've frozen, the update will fail -unfreeze, reboot and apply the update.
like the prev. poster said, make a backup just in case.

Sent from my A500 using DroidForums

Edit:
So far, no FCs and batt life seems great. Just a couple of phone calls, a couple of emails and a little browsing and after 5hrs, still at 90% of batt level -granted, I was on wifi most of the day -man, I need to get out of the house!
View attachment 43435

Last edited:

maxmoore14

Reaction score
Newb here... just got my first Android phone ever (RAZR). I have it rooted no problem. Installed Titanium Backup. In the process of figuring out which apps to freeze, etc. Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid and I can recover if need be, so here's what I've done. Slightly out of my depth, so please tell me if I'm doing anything dumb. Thanks!

1. Using Ti, I went to Backup/Restore tab, set filter to show all apps, went to Batch, and ran "Backup all user apps + system data".
2. Changed filter to only show system apps, and froze the following:

Actions
Adobe Flash Player
AdService
AnalyticsViewer
Android Live Wallpapers
Backup Assistant+
Backup Assistant+ Contacts
Backup Assistant+ Media
Bluetooth Share
BluetoothDun
Bookmarks
Books
CarDock
Device Setup
DLNA
DlnaSystemService
Facebook Authenticator
Flickr Authenticator
Forest Wallpaper
Gmail
Google Backup Transport
Google Calendar Sync
Google Contacts Sync
Google Search
Guided Tours
Help Center
Home screen tips
IM
IM Presence
InPocket
LastFM Authenticator
LinkedIn Authenticator
Live Wallpaper Picker
Magic Smoke Wallpaper
Messaging
Mobile Hotspot
MOTOACTV
MotoCast
MotoCast ID
MOTOPRINT
Motorola Dock Service
Music Visualization Wallpapers
My Accounts
My Uploads
My Verizon Mobile
Netflix
News
NFL Mobile
Orkut Authenticator
Photobucket Authenticator
Picasa Authenticator
Quickoffice
Skyrock Authenticator
Slacker
Smart Actions
Smart Profile
Social Location
Social Messaging
Social Messaging Service
Social Networking
Social Sharing
Social Status
Sticky Note
Swype
System Portal
Talk
TASKS 2.3.5
Tasks 1.0
Twitter Authenticator
Universal Inbox 2.3.5 (2 of these guys)
V CAST Tones
Verizon Single Sign-On Engine
Verizon Video
VideoSurf
Voice Commands
Voice Readouts
Voice Search
VZ Navigator
World Clock
Yahoo Calendar Service
Yahoo Contacts
YouTube
YouTube Authenticator
ZumoService

I should also say, I don't use Gmail, I don't have any Bluetooth accessories. Basically, I use the stock corporate email app to activesync with my Exchange server for mail, contacts, calendar. I use text messaging, the browser, camera, and music. And I use a handful of apps that I downloaded. I don't want to actually uninstall anything at this point, but my goal is to freeze anything and everything that I do not use.

Would love any/all advice! Thanks!

maxmoore14

Reaction score
Update: with all of the above frozen, everything "seems" to be working fine. 2 issues:

1. The music player now can't find any of my files. So something in the list above needs to be unfrozen. If I figure it out, I'll definitely post it here. Any ideas where to start?

2. I lost my 4G LTE connection this morning. It didn't happen immediately after freezing anything, so I'm not convinced it is related to this. Could just be an outage in Chicago. I have an e-mail into Verizon to check. Otherwise, I have a bigger issue that I froze something used for the data connection. Currently I can make phone calls and use data over wifi. But if I disable wifi, I have no data at all, just phone.

maxmoore14

Reaction score
Crap! Sorry for the triple post, but I just realized I can't get on the App Market either now. Seems like it doesn't know my account information.

maxmoore14

Reaction score
1. The music player now can't find any of my files. So something in the list above needs to be unfrozen. If I figure it out, I'll definitely post it here. Any ideas where to start?

This was caused by MotoCast 1.0. Though I was still able to leave MotoCast ID frozen. Now I'm wondering if I just freeze Music completely and download a new player like PowerAMP, could I then freeze MotoCast?

maxmoore14

Reaction score
Crap! Sorry for the triple post, but I just realized I can't get on the App Market either now. Seems like it doesn't know my account information.

This was not related to this list. Must have been another app I had frozen temporarily, simply re-logging in to my google account fixed this.

So my whole list above appears to be safe - except for the fact that I have no data connection!!! Still waiting to hear from VZ on a possible outage. If not, I could REALLY use some help restoring whatever I screwed up.

maxmoore14

Reaction score
So my whole list above appears to be safe - except for the fact that I have no data connection!!! Still waiting to hear from VZ on a possible outage.

Verizon is having a 4G issue in Chicago. So looks like my list is a good start. Would love to get some more suggestions for apps to kill.

akiles

Reaction score
I am surprised you can use corp email after freezing "my accounts."
If everything works as you expected, go for it. Compare what you have against JT's list and see if there is something he has frozen you haven't -I doubt it: you went trigger happy on everything!

Verizon is having a 4G issue in Chicago. So looks like my list is a good start. Would love to get some more suggestions for apps to kill.

maxmoore14

Reaction score
you went trigger happy on everything!

I definitely did. My standby battery life is pretty decent now, but about an hour of Angry Birds will nearly kill it. I'm thinking my display settings are not ideal - but I have them set to auto based on lighting conditions.

akiles

Reaction score
I have it set to minimum. Indoors it's fine for me like that. Same outdoors, but if I need more brightness I just switch it to auto momentarily. I use QuickSettings for quick access to data switch (3g/lte), wifi, bt and screen settings.

I definitely did. My standby battery life is pretty decent now, but about an hour of Angry Birds will nearly kill it. I'm thinking my display settings are not ideal - but I have them set to auto based on lighting conditions.

maxmoore14

Reaction score
In case anyone is curious, I just went through the OTA update. Had to re-root after, but no issues. Here is my current frozen list:

Actions
Adobe Flash Player
AdService
AnalyticsViewer
Android Live Wallpapers
Backup Assistant+
Backup Assistant+ Contacts
Backup Assistant+ Media