Apps safe to remove

OP
jtsativa420

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Can you not just rename the .apk to .bak to keep the phone from seeing it as an app? I just realized all the apps I renamed are still loading fine.

That is supposed to work. Try powering off then back on. If that doesn't work you will have to freeze them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
jtsativa420

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Don't want to hide it I want to get rid of it for good. Hate all the crap Verizon puts on the phones.

Freeze it. It is gone from my phone and device setup is ok as well.

akiles

Reaction score
USB Connection

I froze most of the apps in the thread and everything was good until I plugged the phone to my pc. I no longer get the pop up in my phone asking me for the connection mode. The phone charges, but apparently is unaware it's connected to the pc. Maybe the webtop app?
Any thoughts?

-----------------
Update: Never mind, it works fine on my old WinXP. I installed the drivers from the moto site on the Win764 laptop but no joy.

Last edited:

akiles

Reaction score
I froze a boatload of them with Bloat Freezer and at the end this is what it froze:
Sorry, it's a loooong entry.

adb shell ls/system/app/*.bfz* ->FrozenApps.txt

/system/app/ArcVideoEditorLite.bfz
/system/app/ArcVideoEditorLite.bfzo
/system/app/BlurMusic.bfz
/system/app/BlurMusic.bfzo
/system/app/BlurSNMessagingEngine.bfz
/system/app/BlurSNMessagingEngine.bfzo
/system/app/BooksPhone.bfz
/system/app/BooksPhone.bfzo
/system/app/Calculator.bfz
/system/app/Calculator.bfzo
/system/app/DockService.bfz
/system/app/DockService.bfzo
/system/app/FriendFeed.bfz
/system/app/FriendFeed.bfzo
/system/app/GuidedTours.bfz
/system/app/GuidedTours.bfzo
/system/app/HelpCenter.bfz
/system/app/HelpCenter.bfzo
/system/app/HotspotLauncher.bfz
/system/app/HotspotLauncher.bfzo
/system/app/IMPresence.bfz
/system/app/IMPresence.bfzo
/system/app/InPocketService.bfz
/system/app/InPocketService.bfzo
/system/app/MOTOPRINT.bfz
/system/app/MOTOPRINT.bfzo
/system/app/MotoConnect.bfz
/system/app/MotoConnect.bfzo
/system/app/MotorolaAccountSetup.bfz
/system/app/MotorolaAccountSetup.bfzo
/system/app/NewsWidget.bfz
/system/app/NewsWidget.bfzo
/system/app/PNI-Moto.bfz
/system/app/PNI-Moto.bfzo
/system/app/PortalApp.bfz
/system/app/PortalApp.bfzo
/system/app/Protips.bfz
/system/app/Protips.bfzo
/system/app/RichLocationVzW.bfz
/system/app/RichLocationVzW.bfzo
/system/app/SlackerRadio.bfz
/system/app/SlackerRadio.bfzo
/system/app/SmartCarDock.bfz
/system/app/SmartCarDock.bfzo
/system/app/SmartDock.bfz
/system/app/SmartDock.bfzo
/system/app/SocialMessaging.bfz
/system/app/SocialMessaging.bfzo
/system/app/SocialShare.bfz
/system/app/SocialShare.bfzo
/system/app/StatusWidget.bfz
/system/app/StatusWidget.bfzo
/system/app/Swype.bfz
/system/app/Swype.bfzo
/system/app/VCASTTONES.bfz
/system/app/VCASTTONES.bfzo
/system/app/VCASTVideo.bfz
/system/app/VCASTVideo.bfzo
/system/app/VSuiteApp.bfz
/system/app/VSuiteApp.bfzo
/system/app/VZWIM.bfz
/system/app/VZWIM.bfzo
/system/app/VideoSurf.bfz
/system/app/VideoSurf.bfzo
/system/app/Vvm.bfz
/system/app/Vvm.bfzo
/system/app/VzwDeviceSetup.bfz
/system/app/VzwDeviceSetup.bfzo
/system/app/WebtopSession.bfz
/system/app/WebtopSession.bfzo
/system/app/WorldClockWidget.bfz
/system/app/WorldClockWidget.bfzo
/system/app/YahooCalSync.bfz
/system/app/YahooCalSync.bfzo
/system/app/YahooContacts.bfz
/system/app/YahooContacts.bfzo
/system/app/ZumoService.bfz
/system/app/ZumoService.bfzo
/system/app/blur_facebook.bfz
/system/app/blur_facebook.bfzo
/system/app/blur_flickr.bfz
/system/app/blur_flickr.bfzo
/system/app/blur_lastfm.bfz
/system/app/blur_lastfm.bfzo
/system/app/blur_linkedin.bfz
/system/app/blur_linkedin.bfzo
/system/app/blur_orkut.bfz
/system/app/blur_orkut.bfzo
/system/app/blur_photobucket.bfz
/system/app/blur_photobucket.bfzo
/system/app/blur_skyrock.bfz
/system/app/blur_skyrock.bfzo
/system/app/blur_twitter.bfz
/system/app/blur_twitter.bfzo
/system/app/com.mobitv.client.nfl2010.bfz
/system/app/com.mobitv.client.nfl2010.bfzo
/system/app/motoactv.bfz
/system/app/motoactv.bfzo
/system/app/vzw_vnav_DROIDRAZR_rel_PROD_signed.bfz
/system/app/vzw_vnav_DROIDRAZR_rel_PROD_signed.bfzo

OP
jtsativa420

jtsativa420

Reaction score
I froze a boatload of them with Bloat Freezer and at the end this is what it froze:
Sorry, it's a loooong entry.

adb shell ls/system/app/*.bfz* ->FrozenApps.txt

/system/app/ArcVideoEditorLite.bfz
/system/app/ArcVideoEditorLite.bfzo
/system/app/BlurMusic.bfz
/system/app/BlurMusic.bfzo
/system/app/BlurSNMessagingEngine.bfz
/system/app/BlurSNMessagingEngine.bfzo
/system/app/BooksPhone.bfz
/system/app/BooksPhone.bfzo
/system/app/Calculator.bfz
/system/app/Calculator.bfzo
/system/app/DockService.bfz
/system/app/DockService.bfzo
/system/app/FriendFeed.bfz
/system/app/FriendFeed.bfzo
/system/app/GuidedTours.bfz
/system/app/GuidedTours.bfzo
/system/app/HelpCenter.bfz
/system/app/HelpCenter.bfzo
/system/app/HotspotLauncher.bfz
/system/app/HotspotLauncher.bfzo
/system/app/IMPresence.bfz
/system/app/IMPresence.bfzo
/system/app/InPocketService.bfz
/system/app/InPocketService.bfzo
/system/app/MOTOPRINT.bfz
/system/app/MOTOPRINT.bfzo
/system/app/MotoConnect.bfz
/system/app/MotoConnect.bfzo
/system/app/MotorolaAccountSetup.bfz
/system/app/MotorolaAccountSetup.bfzo
/system/app/NewsWidget.bfz
/system/app/NewsWidget.bfzo
/system/app/PNI-Moto.bfz
/system/app/PNI-Moto.bfzo
/system/app/PortalApp.bfz
/system/app/PortalApp.bfzo
/system/app/Protips.bfz
/system/app/Protips.bfzo
/system/app/RichLocationVzW.bfz
/system/app/RichLocationVzW.bfzo
/system/app/SlackerRadio.bfz
/system/app/SlackerRadio.bfzo
/system/app/SmartCarDock.bfz
/system/app/SmartCarDock.bfzo
/system/app/SmartDock.bfz
/system/app/SmartDock.bfzo
/system/app/SocialMessaging.bfz
/system/app/SocialMessaging.bfzo
/system/app/SocialShare.bfz
/system/app/SocialShare.bfzo
/system/app/StatusWidget.bfz
/system/app/StatusWidget.bfzo
/system/app/Swype.bfz
/system/app/Swype.bfzo
/system/app/VCASTTONES.bfz
/system/app/VCASTTONES.bfzo
/system/app/VCASTVideo.bfz
/system/app/VCASTVideo.bfzo
/system/app/VSuiteApp.bfz
/system/app/VSuiteApp.bfzo
/system/app/VZWIM.bfz
/system/app/VZWIM.bfzo
/system/app/VideoSurf.bfz
/system/app/VideoSurf.bfzo
/system/app/Vvm.bfz
/system/app/Vvm.bfzo
/system/app/VzwDeviceSetup.bfz
/system/app/VzwDeviceSetup.bfzo
/system/app/WebtopSession.bfz
/system/app/WebtopSession.bfzo
/system/app/WorldClockWidget.bfz
/system/app/WorldClockWidget.bfzo
/system/app/YahooCalSync.bfz
/system/app/YahooCalSync.bfzo
/system/app/YahooContacts.bfz
/system/app/YahooContacts.bfzo
/system/app/ZumoService.bfz
/system/app/ZumoService.bfzo
/system/app/blur_facebook.bfz
/system/app/blur_facebook.bfzo
/system/app/blur_flickr.bfz
/system/app/blur_flickr.bfzo
/system/app/blur_lastfm.bfz
/system/app/blur_lastfm.bfzo
/system/app/blur_linkedin.bfz
/system/app/blur_linkedin.bfzo
/system/app/blur_orkut.bfz
/system/app/blur_orkut.bfzo
/system/app/blur_photobucket.bfz
/system/app/blur_photobucket.bfzo
/system/app/blur_skyrock.bfz
/system/app/blur_skyrock.bfzo
/system/app/blur_twitter.bfz
/system/app/blur_twitter.bfzo
/system/app/com.mobitv.client.nfl2010.bfz
/system/app/com.mobitv.client.nfl2010.bfzo
/system/app/motoactv.bfz
/system/app/motoactv.bfzo
/system/app/vzw_vnav_DROIDRAZR_rel_PROD_signed.bfz
/system/app/vzw_vnav_DROIDRAZR_rel_PROD_signed.bfzo

Not too long at all. I have frozen many more apps than originally posted but seemed too much a hassle to go back through and try to edit to figure out what i had and hadn't.

All is running well I assume, no fc's?

Great post!

rjcapp

Reaction score
Curious if u have this issue?

I froze a bunch of apps and my contacts app stopped working and force closed .

I defrosted everything and contacts works again.

I did not bother to try to figure out what was causing it.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
jtsativa420

jtsativa420

Reaction score
I haven't.

Edit: I didn't freeze all the apps he previously listed just the ones on the main page and all the social apps. I will attempt to make an updated list and post as i have no bugs, but i actually deleted some so not quite sure it will be 100% accurate. I was waiting on the deodexed rom to come out and make a new list and start themeing. :)

Last edited:

akiles

Reaction score
Actually, I had the same issue:
I froze yahoo Mail Authenticator and my contacts stopped working -I could see them on the list, but I could not tap on them to see their details.

There are other apps that may interact with the contacts as well. You could start slow -use the apps frozen in the first post to start- and try renaming them. Bloat Freezer has been good to me so far. If you could identify what you have frozen, post it over and maybe we could see what's causing the issue.

Good luck.

Curious if u have this issue?

I froze a bunch of apps and my contacts app stopped working and force closed .

I defrosted everything and contacts works again.

I did not bother to try to figure out what was causing it.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

akiles

Reaction score
Oh, YES!
After freezing webtop, all hell breaks loose. A reboot fixes it :)

So far, I've had only 3 issues:
1.- the sync icon stays there WAY too long -but this could be due to signal issues
2.- after switching to wifi, I may have a hard time getting connection even with a 3G icon. But then again, the radio on this phone sucks and I think I had this issue before I froze anything.
3.- the USB thing... I can swear I used to get the USB menu on the phone on my 64bit system. Now when I connect it, the phone charges only -no notification, no nothing and "the device is not identified" by windows. On the XP32b, it's hit and miss. But again, I can't really blame the freezing because it does work on the 32 bit system. Meh...

But so far, the phone feels VERY snappy and battery seems to be a little better.

Edit: oh, and I think my sound notifications got all screwed up after I froze one of those. Had to re-select them again.

Not too long at all. I have frozen many more apps than originally posted but seemed too much a hassle to go back through and try to edit to figure out what i had and hadn't.

All is running well I assume, no fc's?

Great post!

tlhord

Reaction score
Oh, YES!
After freezing webtop, all hell breaks loose. A reboot fixes it :)

So far, I've had only 3 issues:
1.- the sync icon stays there WAY too long -but this could be due to signal issues
2.- after switching to wifi, I may have a hard time getting connection even with a 3G icon. But then again, the radio on this phone sucks and I think I had this issue before I froze anything.
3.- the USB thing... I can swear I used to get the USB menu on the phone on my 64bit system. Now when I connect it, the phone charges only -no notification, no nothing and "the device is not identified" by windows. On the XP32b, it's hit and miss. But again, I can't really blame the freezing because it does work on the 32 bit system. Meh...

But so far, the phone feels VERY snappy and battery seems to be a little better.

Edit: oh, and I think my sound notifications got all screwed up after I froze one of those. Had to re-select them again.

I'm a newb, so don't yell at me for asking a dumb question.... but how do I freeze an app? I like the sound of it, I'd rather not have useless things eating battery - but I don't understand what freezing is, unless it's just a "force stop."

akiles

Reaction score
Until someone better qualified to answer the question jumps in, here's the skinny:

Most apps are installed either in /system/app and data/data Think of it as C:\Program Files in winXP

When you first get your phone out of the box, most apps are in the /system/app folder. You don't have any rights on it. You can't touch it. Can't delete these apps or un-install them. The app that you bring up to make a call is stored there. At work for example, you may not be able to uninstall a program because you may just be a user and not the admin (or root in android.)

What you install goes into the /data/app/ folder.

Once that you root, you can modify whatever you want. This includes "fracking up" your phone.
Apps usually have an *.apk extension. When you turn on your phone, the system reads the contents of that folder and loads them as apps (what you see in your app list/drawer).

Take any app: say mail.apk; and rename it to mail.apk.bak, it is no longer an app. Next time you open your drawer, it won't be there. So, the app is frozen from the perspective that it is still there, but inactive because the system (android) does not recognize it as an app since it is missing the *.apk.

The problem with this is that there are somethings we (at least I) have no idea what they are for. Removing them may cause some issues. Also, moto phones have Blurr, and if you remove something that blurr requires, the phone will go crazy and may become unusable.

Anyway, if you go back and rename the app from mail.apk.bak to mail.apk, it should work again. Some apps may requiere a reboot, if frozen while running.

Bloat Freezer is what I use. It has an option to unfreeze everything at once.

I am so [arghhhhhh] MAD because I lost all connectivity today and thought it was something I froze. It turns out it was verizon's "most reliable network" not being reliable.

Hope it helps.

I'm a newb, so don't yell at me for asking a dumb question.... but how do I freeze an app? I like the sound of it, I'd rather not have useless things eating battery - but I don't understand what freezing is, unless it's just a "force stop."

Edit: user installed apps go into /data/app
Thanks for the correction, jtsativa420

Last edited:

tlhord

Reaction score
Until someone better qualified to answer the question jumps in, here's the skinny:

Most apps are installed either in /system/app and data/data Think of it as C:\Program Files in winXP

When you first get your phone out of the box, most apps are in the /system/app folder. You don't have any rights on it. You can't touch it. Can't delete these apps or un-install them. The app that you bring up to make a call is stored there. At work for example, you may not be able to uninstall a program because you may just be a user and not the admin (or root in android.)

What you install goes into the /data/data/ folder.

Once that you root, you can modify whatever you want. This includes "fracking up" your phone.
Apps usually have an *.apk extension. When you turn on your phone, the system reads the contents of that folder and loads them as apps (what you see in your app list/drawer).

Take any app: say mail.apk; and rename it to mail.apk.bak, it is no longer an app. Next time you open your drawer, it won't be there. So, the app is frozen from the perspective that it is still there, but inactive because the system (android) does not recognize it as an app since it is missing the *.apk.

The problem with this is that there are somethings we (at least I) have no idea what they are for. Removing them may cause some issues. Also, moto phones have Blurr, and if you remove something that blurr requires, the phone will go crazy and may become unusable.

Anyway, if you go back and rename the app from mail.apk.bak to mail.apk, it should work again. Some apps may requiere a reboot, if frozen while running.

Bloat Freezer is what I use. It has an option to unfreeze everything at once.

I am so [arghhhhhh] MAD because I lost all connectivity today and thought it was something I froze. It turns out it was verizon's "most reliable network" not being reliable.

Hope it helps.

Wow... it helps BIG TIME. Thank you. I don't know that I've ever had someone spend that much time explaining something to me in a forum. Very refreshing that I didn't simply get called a loser - LOL.....

Does one have to pay for these apps like Bloat Freezer?

Sorry, another dumb question coming {WARNING} - would my phone then be "rooted?" I've seen people talking about that online, and I never knew what they meant or why they would do it? Does one root a phone simply to make it run more efficiently, faster, save battery life by knocking stupid $hit like Slacker off of there?

OP
jtsativa420

jtsativa420

Reaction score
No bloat freezer is free, but jrummy16 has a great app (ultimate backup pro) for only 2.99. That freezes apps and so much more.

No your phone would not be rooted. you have to root your phone first before any of the options become available to you. Yes the main reason for rooting is better performance, customization (themes and roms) and full control (removing bloat and free hotspot). Here is a link to root the razr if you want to join the rest of us in enjoying the full potential of your phone.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ot-your-motorola-droid-razr-windows-only.html

Fyi no one should call you a loser and there are no dumb questions. Everyone was a newb once and the purpose of these sights is for people to find answers. In fact I have been building computers, programming severs and hacking phones for sometime now and I still learn new things daily. :)

Edit: That being said. A good rule of thumb is read before you ask. The question and answer may already be in the thread you are posting to.

Last edited:

akiles

Reaction score
JT already answer your questions but I'll add the following:

Careful freezing apps. I cannot stress this enough. Some utilities do not freeze (as in renaming the app). I have plenty of experience screwing up my DroidX with some utilities. A possible cause is that an app needs permissions. For example, apps under the /system/app have "read only" permissions to you. Some need special permissions and when you backup and app, delete it and then restore it (note I am not talking about freezing which leaves the file's permissions intact in /system/app) the permissions may not be retained and then everything is REALLY screwed.

One more thing: apps store stuff under the [crap, i forgot the folder] folder. If you restore with Titanium and restore the data (like the settings, etc) be ready for failures.

In short, be careful with "backing up". JT's suggestion (Jrummy's app) is a good alternative to bloat freezer -the developer is one of the best! I am the happy owner of a few of his apps :) I personally love ROM Toolbox Pro.

Wow... it helps BIG TIME. Thank you. I don't know that I've ever had someone spend that much time explaining something to me in a forum. Very refreshing that I didn't simply get called a loser - LOL.....

Does one have to pay for these apps like Bloat Freezer?

Sorry, another dumb question coming {WARNING} - would my phone then be "rooted?" I've seen people talking about that online, and I never knew what they meant or why they would do it? Does one root a phone simply to make it run more efficiently, faster, save battery life by knocking stupid $hit like Slacker off of there?

Last edited: