Apps opening on their own?

AKDroidUser

Reaction score
I'm 48 hours into Droid ownership and have loaded Task Killer to manage open apps. I'm noticing that many apps are opening on their own. I know that I haven't accidentally opened them as I'm navigating. I turned off automatic notifications and updates but it keeps happening.

Examples of apps that open on their own:

calendar
corporate calendar
settings
messaging
gmail
...and other nonstandard apps

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice is appreciated.

ice456789

Reaction score

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you do a search, you will see that those task killer type apps are bad for the droid.

That being said you don't have to worry about things being open. Looks like most of them are progs that have data pushed to them.

Welcome to the forums

RLJSlick

Reaction score
Yeap, there have been reports of that, and I know it happens to me all the. Just this morning I woke up and checked my phone and my email program was open. I know I didn't do it, because it's not on the main page where i keep my phone. There are a lot of odd things happening with this phone. i was hoping that the 2.01 upgrade would have fixed that.

OP
A

AKDroidUser

Reaction score
I was talking about them showing up in Task Killer.

Right after I posted the thread I saw the info you forwarded. Thx for the quick response.

If this doesn't lead to battery drain, I'm perplexed about my battery. It is not faring well so far and I've done all the management tips I can find (turn off wifi & gps, dim screen, etc).

JayMonster

Reaction score
Most (if not all) of the apps you listed are apps that get data (as Erron said) pushed, thus they actually need to periodically run to check for status updates. They do what they need to do and then stop. The memory management of these apps is handled by Android.

Look at a standard Windows (or Mac) at all the processes that run that you never see compared with the number of apps that you run. There are things that need to run, just leave them be.

Unless you are running a lot of apps, one after another to a point that the OS can't keep up and you start to get a little lag, and you are impatient (because eventually the OS *will* catch up), there is absolutely no need for things like ATK.

JayMonster

Reaction score

Right after I posted the thread I saw the info you forwarded. Thx for the quick response.

If this doesn't lead to battery drain, I'm perplexed about my battery. It is not faring well so far and I've done all the management tips I can find (turn off wifi & gps, dim screen, etc).

How strong a signal do you get? Searching for a signal drains the battery faster than anything else.

OP
A

AKDroidUser

Reaction score

How strong a signal do you get? Searching for a signal drains the battery faster than anything else.

Interesting point. It was one bar a minute ago, now its 3. I had horrendous issues with the battery of my last phone as well. I'm wondering if I live a 'signal challenged' life. I'll have to pay attention. Thx.

segen77

Reaction score
If you do a search, you will see that those task killer type apps are bad for the droid.

That being said you don't have to worry about things being open. Looks like most of them are progs that have data pushed to them.

Welcome to the forums

I haven't read anywhere that the task killer is bad, but I have read that it may not be necessary. Have I missed something somewhere?

I will say this, I typically run quite a few things at once, and when it seems the phone becomes bogged down the task killer seems to help.

chomorro

Reaction score
I actually have random apps opening sometimes. When I set the ohone down it will happen. Random apps will open up and I just home screen out of them when I pick the phone back up

cmercer55

Reaction score
To All: I would recommend that everyone try to articulate their issues with a higher level of accuracy, as it seems that some of the replies just aren't getting to the point. While it is true about the OS, it isn't true about "not worrying" about the problem. It is a problem when the phone's native applications startup and use the GPS and run down the battery in no time. There is no reason for AT&T navigator to suddenly start running on the phone. It is also very true that this is an issue. If it weren't an issue, there wouldn't be so many people searching for answers. To pick up your phone and see new applications running (many of which are never used) that are causing constant communication using more data connect time and GPS, becomes a valid concern. I'm early in my search for a solution to this issue, but it appears that too often, there are posts that pass this off as a "non-issue". When I find the answer, I will return here and post my findings.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To All: I would recommend that everyone try to articulate their issues with a higher level of accuracy, as it seems that some of the replies just aren't getting to the point. While it is true about the OS, it isn't true about "not worrying" about the problem. It is a problem when the phone's native applications startup and use the GPS and run down the battery in no time. There is no reason for AT&T navigator to suddenly start running on the phone. It is also very true that this is an issue. If it weren't an issue, there wouldn't be so many people searching for answers. To pick up your phone and see new applications running (many of which are never used) that are causing constant communication using more data connect time and GPS, becomes a valid concern. I'm early in my search for a solution to this issue, but it appears that too often, there are posts that pass this off as a "non-issue". When I find the answer, I will return here and post my findings.

Well, that's an interesting first post. Thanks for your offer of posting your "findings" but we've been doing our own research on this for some time now.

Applications running in the background are not really running like you were using them. They are sitting there at ready and not really using any of the battery. I never worry about the apps because Droid is smart enough to manage it's own system and will turn things on and off as it sees fit.

Besides the post about not worrying about applications running in the background that someone mentioned and linked (I hope you read that) there is also a thread discussing why task killers are not necessary in the stickies in this area.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

So I suggest you start your research with reading what others before you have already discovered. Then you'll understand why it isn't an issue, or something to worry about.

cmercer55

Reaction score
clueless

hmmm. interesting. This is exactly what I am talking about. So many people posting how applications are not "running" in the background and they have no clue what they are talking about. If they aren't running as some would say, why is it that the phone has applications that start up, use the gps etc., and run low on battery after only a couple of hours, when the battery is brand new and when those applications don't "run", the phone lasts for more than 24 hours. Is there some sort of ghost that I'm unaware of that is using my phone when I'm not looking. It is an issue that needs to be addressed. I've read so many posts, so I've read your "research", or should I say, not listening and posting garbage like: "it's ok, forget about it" ("these aren't the droids you are looking for"). I won't swallow that garbage, nor should others that are looking for answers. I'm not dreaming about very poor battery life when this is happening. It is very real and I can't wait to find information from people that are actually looking for a solution instead of ignoring it and saying everything is fine. I am still looking for information, but this site doesn't seem to have what it takes to provide it, or at least this group of users. Someones first post doesn't make them any newer at something, it just might mean that they don't have time to post. This is real and I'll find the solution elsewhere. Thanks for directing me elsewhere.

droidright

Reaction score
I actually agree with cmercer55. Hookbill you didn't actually answer the question. Can you explain WHY apps are opening up in the first place without ever using them (not only pre-installed apps) after a reboot? You say, " They are sitting there at ready and not really using any of the battery." Not really? So are they or are they not using battery? In any case, why would you want them opening up if they aren't being used??

Sure Android manages its memory consumption, but it doesn't manage battery consumption.

sn0wm4n

Reaction score
I got the optimus 2x and mine is not only starting the usual apps like E-mail and stuff but also games I downloaded, for instance I have contract killer but when I close it it just pops up again on task killer running, I can close it but it keeps popping up!
Can anyone help?