Apps on tablet and smartphone!

aggiechase37

Reaction score
So I just have question. If I have a paid app on my Droid, and I get a tablet as well, so I have to pay again for the app to get it on the tablet? Or can I just log on to my google account and re-download it for free? Anyone know? I'd really like to not get double dipped on my apps if I get a tablet. And if that's the case, may not get a tablet...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure. I thought I read a thread on Androidtablets.net (Android Tablet Forum) , one of DF's sister forums, that you needed to pay again. Not sure.

if you find out please let us know.

Mike

DroidToro

Reaction score
I was able to install my paid apps on my kid's hacked nook book reader.

Sent from my DROID PRO

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my DROID PRO
Thanks for the clarification, Cojones. I thought that since ones apps are associated with their Google account it did not matter what device one used.

If I can find the thread I referenced, I will share your comments.

Mike

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Sent from my DROID PRO
Thanks for the clarification, Cojones. I thought that since ones apps are associated with their Google account it did not matter what device one used.

Mike
Hey Mike,

I'm not sure I've unraveled this puzzle, but I'm closer to understanding how it works. The latest thing I've learned is that it's critical that both devices (old and new) are first registered using the same Gmail account, i.e., they share the same primary account. Here is some info from the Market help page:

Retrieving previously purchased applications - Android Market Help

Your application purchases are tied to your Google Account and can be installed an unlimited amount of times on any device. So, for example, if you remove 'My Favorite Game' to save memory, you can reinstall it at a later date with no charge by simply visiting My Downloads. Note: free applications are not saved to My Downloads after you remove them.
If you change devices, you can install previous purchases by making sure you sign into your device with the same Google Account you used on your previous phone.
Additionally, if Android Market is attempting to charge you for an application you have already purchased on an existing phone, your device may have been reset and a new username and password created. Because the application is associated with a different Google Account, you are being charged to purchase it again. Please note, if you would like to continue using the device with your current Google Account, you will need to purchase the application again.
If you would like to access your application without purchasing it again, reset your phone and sign in using the Google Account used at the time of purchase. To complete this process, you will need to complete the following steps:

1. For Android 1.6 devices, visit Settings > SD Card and phone storage > Factory data reset. For Android 2.0 devices, visit Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset. This will wipe all data on your device; the SD/memory card will not be touched.
  2. Sign in to your phone using the username and password of the Google Account you originally used to purchase your applications. If you do not know the password for this account, please visit the Google Checkout Help Center article about Passwords for instructions to reset the password.
  3. Reinstall the application by visiting My Downloads.
I'm in a hole, since I've registered my Droid and Nook with different accounts. One of them is a regular Gmail account...the other is a Google Apps account, and it's the one I used to purchase my apps!!!! :icon_evil: So I probably need to buy them again to get them on the Nook.

Or let me clarify: SOME of my paid apps work on my Nook, by making a backup on the Droid and then sideloading the apk. But I'm not able to update those through the market. Newer apps like Sims and Need for Speed don't work at all when I sideload them on the Nook. :(

Hope that helps!

-Matt

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Or let me clarify: SOME of my paid apps work on my Nook, by making a backup on the Droid and then sideloading the apk. But I'm not able to update those through the market. Newer apps like Sims and Need for Speed don't work at all when I sideload them on the Nook. :(

Hope that helps!

-Matt

Please refrain from discussion on what seems to border on using paid apps for free. I know you paid for them but you need to have the same gmail account on the device to use them.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Hope that helps!

-Matt

Please refrain from discussion on what seems to border on using paid apps for free. I know you paid for them but you need to have the same gmail account on the device to use them.
My apologies if my message appeared to endorse illegitimate copying of apps.

-Matt

techguru

Reaction score

Sent from my DROID PRO

Mike
Hey Mike,

I'm not sure I've unraveled this puzzle, but I'm closer to understanding how it works. The latest thing I've learned is that it's critical that both devices (old and new) are first registered using the same Gmail account, i.e., they share the same primary account. Here is some info from the Market help page:

Retrieving previously purchased applications - Android Market Help

Your application purchases are tied to your Google Account and can be installed an unlimited amount of times on any device. So, for example, if you remove 'My Favorite Game' to save memory, you can reinstall it at a later date with no charge by simply visiting My Downloads. Note: free applications are not saved to My Downloads after you remove them.
If you change devices, you can install previous purchases by making sure you sign into your device with the same Google Account you used on your previous phone.
Additionally, if Android Market is attempting to charge you for an application you have already purchased on an existing phone, your device may have been reset and a new username and password created. Because the application is associated with a different Google Account, you are being charged to purchase it again. Please note, if you would like to continue using the device with your current Google Account, you will need to purchase the application again.
If you would like to access your application without purchasing it again, reset your phone and sign in using the Google Account used at the time of purchase. To complete this process, you will need to complete the following steps:

1. For Android 1.6 devices, visit Settings > SD Card and phone storage > Factory data reset. For Android 2.0 devices, visit Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset. This will wipe all data on your device; the SD/memory card will not be touched.
  2. Sign in to your phone using the username and password of the Google Account you originally used to purchase your applications. If you do not know the password for this account, please visit the Google Checkout Help Center article about Passwords for instructions to reset the password.
  3. Reinstall the application by visiting My Downloads.
I'm in a hole, since I've registered my Droid and Nook with different accounts. One of them is a regular Gmail account...the other is a Google Apps account, and it's the one I used to purchase my apps!!!! :icon_evil: So I probably need to buy them again to get them on the Nook.

Hope that helps!

-Matt

You can hard boot one and log in with the other account as primary, and then use the same paid apps on both with only a very few exceptions. Most Android apps are licensed to the user, not the device. I am in a VZW market research group so have had 4 different Droid devices, and at one time I had the same apps installed and working on all four.

There are a very small number of apps that the authors license per device and they always require you to enter a seperate auth code that the author sends you. You can request a new one if you change devices, but it deactivates the previous one. Unless the features are totally unique, I usually find an alternative to those apps.

Alan

DroidToro

Reaction score
You can hard boot one and log in with the other account as primary, and then use the same paid apps on both with only a very few exceptions.

This is consistent with my experience on Nook and Dpro, both registered to the same Market account. It all seemed legit to me because I did not do any sideloading or fancy stuff. The apps were just there and ready to be installed. As it is, I didn't install anything since this was my kid's tablet and I didn't want to "geek" it up. I just wanted to be able to purchase apps that are relevant for my kid and then download straight from the Nook.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You can hard boot one and log in with the other account as primary, and then use the same paid apps on both with only a very few exceptions.
Alan
Sorry, not sure I follow. Explain what you mean by "log in"...on both my Droid and Nook, the primary account is set the first time the device is registered. I can obviously add and remove secondary accounts, but once I put in the primary, a hard boot (do you mean "reset"?) doesn't give a log in option. I'm sure I'm having a thick-skull moment, so please enlighten me!

-Matt