Apps on tablet and smartphone!

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by aggiechase37, Feb 8, 2011.

1. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I just have question. If I have a paid app on my Droid, and I get a tablet as well, so I have to pay again for the app to get it on the tablet? Or can I just log on to my google account and re-download it for free? Anyone know? I'd really like to not get double dipped on my apps if I get a tablet. And if that's the case, may not get a tablet...

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Not sure. I thought I read a thread on Androidtablets.net (Android Tablet Forum) , one of DF's sister forums, that you needed to pay again. Not sure.

if you find out please let us know.

Mike

3. DroidToro

DroidToro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was able to install my paid apps on my kid's hacked nook book reader.

Sent from my DROID PRO

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the clarification, Cojones. I thought that since ones apps are associated with their Google account it did not matter what device one used.

If I can find the thread I referenced, I will share your comments.

Mike

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Hey Mike,

I'm not sure I've unraveled this puzzle, but I'm closer to understanding how it works. The latest thing I've learned is that it's critical that both devices (old and new) are first registered using the same Gmail account, i.e., they share the same primary account. Here is some info from the Market help page:

Retrieving previously purchased applications - Android Market Help

I'm in a hole, since I've registered my Droid and Nook with different accounts. One of them is a regular Gmail account...the other is a Google Apps account, and it's the one I used to purchase my apps!!!! :icon_evil: So I probably need to buy them again to get them on the Nook.

Or let me clarify: SOME of my paid apps work on my Nook, by making a backup on the Droid and then sideloading the apk. But I'm not able to update those through the market. Newer apps like Sims and Need for Speed don't work at all when I sideload them on the Nook. :(

Hope that helps!

-Matt

6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Please refrain from discussion on what seems to border on using paid apps for free. I know you paid for them but you need to have the same gmail account on the device to use them.

7. gadgetrants

Ratings:
    +139
    My apologies if my message appeared to endorse illegitimate copying of apps.

-Matt

8. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can hard boot one and log in with the other account as primary, and then use the same paid apps on both with only a very few exceptions. Most Android apps are licensed to the user, not the device. I am in a VZW market research group so have had 4 different Droid devices, and at one time I had the same apps installed and working on all four.

There are a very small number of apps that the authors license per device and they always require you to enter a seperate auth code that the author sends you. You can request a new one if you change devices, but it deactivates the previous one. Unless the features are totally unique, I usually find an alternative to those apps.

Alan

9. DroidToro

DroidToro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is consistent with my experience on Nook and Dpro, both registered to the same Market account. It all seemed legit to me because I did not do any sideloading or fancy stuff. The apps were just there and ready to be installed. As it is, I didn't install anything since this was my kid's tablet and I didn't want to "geek" it up. I just wanted to be able to purchase apps that are relevant for my kid and then download straight from the Nook.

10. gadgetrants

Ratings:
    +139
    Sorry, not sure I follow. Explain what you mean by "log in"...on both my Droid and Nook, the primary account is set the first time the device is registered. I can obviously add and remove secondary accounts, but once I put in the primary, a hard boot (do you mean "reset"?) doesn't give a log in option. I'm sure I'm having a thick-skull moment, so please enlighten me!

-Matt

Search tags for this page
android share apps between phone and tablet
can i share apps between my android phone and tablet
can i share apps between phone and tablet
can you share apps between android tablet and phone
how to share apps between android phone and tablet

share android apps between phone and tablet

share android apps between phone tablet

share apps between android phone and tablet

sharing android apps between phone and tablet

sharing apps between android phone tablet