Apps on SD card

Bshaggy6

Reaction score
Is there a way to run downloaded applications from your sd card either by downloading an application that allows you to do so or will this be included in the 2.1 update?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
From what I understand, they're working on that. It's not available yet though.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Google announced (at the Nexus launch) that apps to SD card is coming :)

jasonb

Reaction score
Most apps are tiny. The only thing that will really take a lot of space will be certain games. The biggest app I have downloaded is still only 2.57 MB. Google maps is still just under 6MB.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most apps are tiny. The only thing that will really take a lot of space will be certain games. The biggest app I have downloaded is still only 2.57 MB. Google maps is still just under 6MB.
Part of that is if apps took 100mb no one would download them. The iPhone apps are better right now because they don't have to worry about keeping file sizes small... they can use all 16gb or 32gb or whatever it is they have :) When we can install to the SD card we'll probably see apps with larger file sizes since we no longer will have to worry about a 256mb cap.

aldeghij

Reaction score
But can't you just use Astro to back up your apps to the sd card, then uninstall them from the ROM, then reinstall from the SD Card?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
But can't you just use Astro to back up your apps to the sd card, then uninstall them from the ROM, then reinstall from the SD Card?

No mater where you install from it will install onto the phone and take up part of your 256M. One thing you can do is have all your apps backed up on the SD card so you can uninstall rarely used apps to save space and quickly reinstall them as needed.

chaostheory6682

Reaction score
Hold on i Have like 70 programs installed on my droid and i still have 104mb of memory available. Your saying that it's not installing to the SD. please inform me. I guarantee all the iphone has is 256mb of ram and then storage.

PerCompLLC

Reaction score
Hold on i Have like 70 programs installed on my droid and i still have 104mb of memory available. Your saying that it's not installing to the SD. please inform me. I guarantee all the iphone has is 256mb of ram and then storage.

That is correct. The Android OS currently does NOT allow installs directly on the SD card, so all 70 apps you have installed are on internal storage. That said, Google is working on the encryption issue to allow for installs directly to the SD card. Rooting does not enable this functionality...yet...

solution

Reaction score
Part of that is if apps took 100mb no one would download them. The iPhone apps are better right now because they don't have to worry about keeping file sizes small... they can use all 16gb or 32gb or whatever it is they have :) When we can install to the SD card we'll probably see apps with larger file sizes since we no longer will have to worry about a 256mb cap.

I personally like the idea of small file sizes. Keeps the download time down to a minimum. Who's gonna want to download a 100Mb app on 3G? :icon_eek:

aldeghij

Reaction score
I'd just like to be able to put the apps on sd card to free up memory.... most of the time my phone shows only about 50 megs or less free.....

PerCompLLC

Reaction score
I'd just like to be able to put the apps on sd card to free up memory.... most of the time my phone shows only about 50 megs or less free.....

Installing apps on the SD Card will not free up memory, only hard drive space. The memory you are talking about is RAM, and is limited to 256 MBs regardless of the size of SD Card. Sorry to burst your bubble...