Apps in Data

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by actngrezy, May 25, 2011.

?

Add Gmail to data partition

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. actngrezy

actngrezy Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok so Ive decided to try some things and moves some apps into the data partition which makes it easy to uninstall/update without issue.
    As of right now for example if your on v6 beta then for gmail when you update in the market if it installs without issue you will actually have the older version of gmail still in the system unless you un-install it from the system and you will have the new version from the market in the data partition. Now the only thing I would be concerned about is this:
    When you install a theme the themer would either have to ensure Gmail was installed in the data partition with their theme or the user would have to un-install gmail from the market and let the theme install it into the system.

So would you like Gmail in the data partition or system?
    Also titanium backup is going to be in the data partition which will make it easy for everyone who has the pro edition to upgrade or those who don't use it can easily uninstall it through the market or in the settings/application section.

With this being said is there any application that currently come with the rom that you feel should be in the data partition or are there any apps that do not com ewith the rom that you feel should be included but in the data partition?
    Maps, twitter,facebook will not be included neither will tethering applications.
    Im looking for maybe voice search, youtube

2. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Active Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i think that launcher pro should also be in data partition along with gmail. i know it dont update that much but thats the first thing i do is uninstall and reinstall so i can update when it updates.

3. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think all system apps should go into the system partition, and things like Launcher Pro, TiBU, etc should go into Data..... this way updating would be smooth... I just had an instance where Launcher Pro updated by itself into the data partition, on my spare Droid 'and' my regular Droid, thus creating one instance in data and one in system... of course it was easy to remove from system/app with your setting, or with TiBU, but just became redundant and was just taking up space in system partition thereafter​

4. mik3_cl

mik3_cl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with MBK, it would definitely make things smoother.

5. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I put my vote the other way. I would like to see quite a few apps moved to the system partition. It pains me to see all that wasted space over there when my data partition is full to the brim. I am an appaholic and have to uninstall something if I want to try a new app!

6. EbE404

EbE404 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with this. I imagine it will also make life easier for the PE team not having to maintain updates to things like LP on their server so we can update them through Elite Settings.

Not only does it make normal updating easier (and LP has been on a bit of a tear over the last couple of months), but it will be fewer e-mails and tweets for us asking if the system update has been posted yet ;)

I love having things like TiBu installed a soon as I flash the ROM, but I think having it in data would make life easier for everybody.

7. dpaine88

dpaine88 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Im all for having gmail, tibu and youtube in data.