Apps crashing with no error

Cstryon

Reaction score
I'm on liberty nightly .4 and for some reason dungeon hunter 2 and dolphin browser are crashing about 1 minute after loading. Is this a liberty issue?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What do u mean by crashing they just close? Since u said there's no error i assume u mean no force close which just means those apps are big and taking up a lot of memory so ur devices memory management is closing them if u have an autokiller or something like that installed i recommend lowering the settings or setting it to ignore those apps u can also increase ur vm heap size to allow larger apps to run more smoothly and to keep them from being closed

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
C

Cstryon

Reaction score
Yeah they just close. I have no, auto killer. Ii did have free memory set tp 50 I changed it back to the recommended 25, and increased vm heap too 36. But these apps are still just closeing

OP
C

Cstryon

Reaction score
Interestiing. I had oc max to 1250 at 58 volt. I changed it down to 1200. Now dungeon hunter stayed open for a good three minutes, before I closed it. Could it be that the voltage was too low for 1250?

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Eh doubt it had anything to do with your voltage i would just recommend increasing your heap size and seeing how that goes i have mine set usually at 52 on my droid 1 so that i can run the miui music player i would just recommend trying to increase your heap size up a bit and seeing if that does anything.

The thing that's going on is just that your app is being closed by the android system because it is taking up too many resources so you need to make some tweaks to your memory management is all which heap size is usually one of the first places to start. Then i would recommend maybe uninstalling or freezing some apps if you have a lot installed or making sure that you kill anything running besides what you want to run so that you don't have things you're not using taking up your resources as well

OP
C

Cstryon

Reaction score
How do I change the heap size?

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
They have apps that do it but in my opinion easiest way is to do it by hand cause you can then set whatever you want so i just use root explorer then go to the build.prop file this is located at /system/build.prop
long press the build.prop and select open in text editor
scroll down a bit till you see
# This is a high density device with more memory, so larger vm heaps for it.
dalkvick.vm.heapsize=<some number>m

Then just change that some number to what you want the recommended usually is 32 i think but i just go big :) and put it at 52 ha just so i could run miui player and what not but if you feel more comfortable using an app just go to the market and search vm heap size there are a few apps that can do it for you.

Can also be done through terminal but that's a bit more crazy works a little like this though just for knowledge purposes here's a quick script to change it to 52

#!/system/bin/sh
#

BB=busybox
$BB sed -i "s/dalvik.vm.heapsize=.*/dalvik.vm.heapsize=52/g" /system/build.prop
$BB sed -i 's/hw_dalvik.vm.heapsize=.*/hw_dalvik.vm.heapsize=52/g' /system/build.prop

then you would just save that as a file and place it at /system/xbin make sure to set your permissions and then run it through terminal emulator by just typing su and then the name of whatever you named the script

OP
C

Cstryon

Reaction score
Changed to 52 through root explorer. Been playing the game all day and haven't experienced another crash! Thank you so much for you help!

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No problem glad you got it working let me know if you need help with anything else

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Interestiing. I had oc max to 1250 at 58 volt. I changed it down to 1200. Now dungeon hunter stayed open for a good three minutes, before I closed it. Could it be that the voltage was too low for 1250?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jpapps.quickclockadvanced&feature=search_result
This will find the highest/safest OC for your specific CPU..unless of course your an OC geek and just want to play with OC settings your self then hack away :p

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Nice app haven't heard of that however his problem had nothing to do with the overclocking of his cpu and we solved it by merely setting a higher heap size

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Nice app haven't heard of that however his problem had nothing to do with the overclocking of his cpu and we solved it by merely setting a higher heap size

Which is why I didnt comment on the problem itself, just a general OCing tip. ;)

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is there a free version to it? I'm interested in taking it for a spin but only see the advanced version and don't want to commit without trying it

OP
C

Cstryon

Reaction score
Will it find the safest minimum voltages?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Is there a free version to it? I'm interested in taking it for a spin but only see the advanced version and don't want to commit without trying it

Not that I know of. Not the I promote such thing but due to the 15 minute refund policy, I would suggest getting the apk trugh the back channels, give a shot and if you like it then buy it. If we still had the 24 hours refund policy, I would say buy it and try it, and get your refund if you dont like it. You could always contact the dev and see if he would give an extended refund period as I know some devs put this in there app descriptions since the change.

Will it find the safest minimum voltages?

I think so, but dont recall off hand.