Apps closing by themselves?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's most likely a bad update in the Android System Web app. Get rid of the update and I'll bet it will work fine. If anybody knows how to get rid of that app without rooting I would love to hear.
This also solved many bugs I was having but could find no common denominator until seeing it here.
Thank You Very Much
What would it do if I disabled that thing instead of just uninstall the update?

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
This also solved many bugs I was having but could find no common denominator until seeing it here.
Thank You Very Much
What would it do if I disabled that thing instead of just uninstall the update?

Some apps that implement features of webview might not work, that's why I think it's more of a developer needing to contact Google for a fix issue. Problem is, there is no way to tell if an App does unless you have access to their source code (or you Google it and it might tell you) cause it is invoked. I don't know of anything devs can do at the moment aside from not use System WebView. Anyways, for now, I would recommend keeping it not updated and don't disable it in case one of your apps relies on it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some apps that implement features of webview might not work, that's why I think it's more of a developer needing to contact Google for a fix issue. Problem is, there is no way to tell if an App does unless you have access to their source code (or you Google it and it might tell you) cause it is invoked. I don't know of anything devs can do at the moment aside from not use System WebView. Anyways, for now, I would recommend keeping it not updated and don't disable it in case one of your apps relies on it.
Thanks. I read the tutorial on Google, Android developers page and it seemed that using it is voluntary and has nothing to do with the apps I have been having problems with. I might be reading it totally wrong though. Gear Notification Extender was my main one and it shouldn't have anything to do with the web, only pushes notifications to my watch . I uninstalled the update, Handcent now downloads mms fine,GNE pushes Textra and others to my watch fine, my clock widget isn't a battery hog today, etc
Android fragmentation? I know 99.9% of the time anything is wrong on any of my devices a recent update to something non related is the culprit.