1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Apps and configurations I use with SS ROMs

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by myz06vette, Mar 15, 2010.

1. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

I've had a couple people PM me asking for info about my Droid setup... how I've customized it, tweaked it, etc... and what apps I use to optimize it and fully utilize my phone. So, I thought I'd throw it all together here. Love to see what everyone else is doing as well.

Apps (paid and free):

setCPU - control overclocking aspects of my phone. configure profiles for when it should overclock and to what exact speed.

RootExplorer - see, modify, delete, update all file directories on your phone, not just SD card. my favorite use of this was to remove default apps I don't need (corporate calendar, email (I only use gmail), visual voicemail, amazon mp3, etc.)

Automatic Task Killer - sure, there's plenty of debate about whether this is necessary or not. I find it helps my phone every time though. This app (free) kills apps you designate anytime you turn off your screen.

Auto Memory Manager - tweaks how the internal task manager controls memory usage and when it kills certain apps and processes.

Autostarts - Very helpful with memory management. Control what items load on boot, after boot, and upon other events (calls, messages, email, bluetooth pair, etc). Faster boot up, smoother operation.

Barcode Scanner - Not the shop savvy, just barcode scanner. QR codes are the wave of the future. My business card has a QR code on the back that when scanned, will add all my contact info to an address book on a Droid, iPhone, or BlackBerry.

Linpack for Android - Shows me linpack stats, which help me maintain speed and reliability.. good benchmark tool for all overclocked phones.

Lookout - Anti-virus and anti-malware app. Ever since that HTC Magic was sold brand new with malware on it, I just want to be on the safe side.

MyBackup Pro - makes a daily backup of every single setting, file, app, and data set on my phone to an online server. Useful for when I have to data wipe for whatever reason - I don't lose a single thing.

Qik - I'm a social bug.. always on the go, always doing something. Qik is fun because I stream live video to the web.. neat if I tweet that I'm doing something and people tune in live, but also cool because its backed up somewhere besides my phone and I can share it with people later (like youtube).

Mobile Defense - like lowjack for your Droid. Free. Track your phone, disable it, sound an alarm, send custom alert message, etc from mobiledefense.com.

TempMonitor - Lets me keep an eye on my battery and processor temp. You can set notification bar updates as well. Good idea for overclocked phones.

GDocs - I have 200gb of online "cloud" storage space with Google.. with this app, its like having remote access (read/write) to all 200gb of that. Plus that 16gb of my sd card.

Of course, I've got plenty of other apps too like most people. At last count, I had 72 apps installed and somewhere around 154mb of internal storage left. These are just the ones I use most, recommend most, or always have running.

My SetCPU Profiles:

Charging:
    900mhz max // 550mhz min
    Sleep/Standy:
    550mhz max // 125mhz min
    Power < 25%:
    900mhz max // 550mhz min
    Battery > 50c:
    550mhz max // 550mhz min

Auto Memory Manager Settings:

Foreground Application: 20mb
    Visible Application: 36mb
    Secondary Server: 41mb
    Hidden Application: 84mb
    Content Provider: 91mb
    Empty Application: 105mb

Home Screens / Launcher:

Screen1:
    Picture Frame Widget
    Audio Manager Widget
    8 App Icons
    Screen2:
    Pure Calendar Widget (4x3)
    Google Voice, Google Talk, GDocs
    Screen3 (Main):
    Beautiful Home Widget
    Messaging, Contacts, Facebook, Twidroid, Meebo, Maps, Gallery, Dolphin
    Screen4:
    Power Control Bar widget
    Picture frame widget
    SetCPU widget
    Lock Patter on/off widget
    6 App Icons
    Screen5:
    Facebook Widget
    Wireless Tether, Root Explorer, DroCap2, Linpack, GPS Status, Autostarts

---

I very seldom get any force closes.. no random restarts.. no slowness on wake up, etc. Runs smooth as stock just faster, especially since I run it wide open at 1.25ghz. No noticeable extra drain in battery life (thanks to memory managers and task killer). The only thing I'd change would be just some simple cosmetic theme-ing.. just to make it look a little more put-together.

95% of the credit for stability and smoothness goes to Chevy for his top-notch ROM(s) and kick@$$ kernels.. part of why I've sent him $30 total in beer $!

Post up your specs.. what works for you (and what doesn't). What apps do you get the most out of, both free and paid. What other tweaks have you made.. anything relevant works as long as you're running some version of Simply Stunning.

Go! :icon_ banana:
  2. banoonish

banoonish New Member

The pictures of your home screens are different. The first ones do not have the icons of the phone and browser. I want mine to have the ones at the bottom of your post. How do you do that?:)
  3. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

use a 2.1 launcher
  4. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Running SS 2.0.3 with the Helix Launcher, helix launcher2 FC's constantly for me. 5 home screens; 1= music stuff, 2= games, 3= home with most used, 4= rooting/modding, 5= misc.
    Setcpu settings:
    Charging 550/250
    Sleeping 550/250
    Power<100% disabled
    Failsafe<50 550/250

Runs cool and fast all the time for me. Will get some screen caps soon.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

@myz06vette quick question does MyBackup Pro backup all custom ringtones you have set for any specific contacts. Also was curious about actual device settings like specific notification set for txt, IM, email.....etc

I haven't used it as I have been using Titanium which does not back that stuff up.
  6. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

I'm not aware of mybackup pro backing up custom ringtones for contacts. It essentially saves contacts as a text file, like CSV, so I woludn't see that being possible. But it does have a backup for "System Settings", maybe its part of that, I don't know.

As for notification settings, because thats part of system settings, mybackup pro will save those. And my main ringtone is one I made in Ringdroid (actual file saved to SD card) but it remembers that every time also. It will save your home screen configuration too.. I've got 5 screens on mine and it does all the icons and widgets for all 5.
  7. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

@jstafford1 - You listed your profiles for setcpu, but what are you set at in normal use? You're running v.2.0.3, so are you using the 1.2ghz kernel? Or another one?
  8. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

normal use it's running at 1.2/250 and never have heating problems. JIT enabled as well.
    linpack: 11.59 in .47 sec
    short bench : average 133
  9. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

Thx for the reply. Think I may break down and bite the bullet and try it out to see what it does/can do for ringtones and stuff in the "System Settings" backup.

Personally I prefer to wipe on ever new install but the one thing that drives me nuts in doing so is all the ringtone resetting I have to do. Most other stuff is done quick by a restore with Titanium like I have been using. Just not the ringtones and it is a pain because I use a lot of custom tones for contacts I have so I know who is calling. Makes my life easier so I'm not running for the phone when people call I don
    t want to talk to ( IE x-wife, boss....etc LOL).
  10. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Haha, fair enough. Well, its 4.99.. try it out in the first 24 hours and if it doesn't work for you, just refund it. I like it though, even if it doesn't have that functionality with your custom ringtones. It has an auto-schedule backup option.. have mine set to backup everything on my phone (minus contacts and calendar, both will restore through gmail acct anyway) every day at 7am to their online server. Then I manually back it up every few days to my SD card. For me, the 4.99 is worth the peace of mind knowing that if I lose my phone or if anything else happens, I can restore a new one to almost the exact same thing.
  11. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

Gonna give it a short soon. Least of my worries is the $5 even if it doesn't fully do what I'm hoping, I burn that every morning by 5:30am buying a pk of smokes.....lol. So it is not going to be the end of the world that is for sure.

I'll report back on my finding tho once I get it and do a full backup, then wipe out and see what it brings back.
  12. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Awesome. I'll look forward to your findings.

One thought I just thought about.. and I haven't tried it yet.. within the Contacts app, you can press menu and export your contact files to your SD card. Has anyone tried that as an option for saving contacts data like custom ringtones, contact pictures, etc? I've got my contacts setup to pull some from Facebook too, and those aren't backed up through MyBackupPro, so I don't have a hard copy of those contacts anywhere. Ideas?
  13. JayCizzo

JayCizzo New Member

I backed/restored my contacts via MyBackupPro once and it jacked up my contacts. It made it where everyone of my contacts displayed (every single person you've ever emailed or received email from in Gmail). Going into settings and changing the filter didn't fix it. I ended up doing a Nandroid restore. I make sure not to restore contacts anymore using MyBackupPro. I very easily could have done something wrong though.
  14. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

I had a similar experience.. made duplicates in my gmail contacts online. Had to filter them in gmail and delete the duplicates, which was a major pain. Since Android is linked with your gmail account anyway, there's no reason to backup/restore contacts through mybackup pro. Same with calendar. So you didn't do anything wrong... unless I did too! :icon_ banana:
  15. JayCizzo

JayCizzo New Member

Like Aixelsyd said it could have some benefit as far as ringtones assigned to contacts. I haven't applied my "System Settings" because most of the time I'm changing to a new ROM and I don't want an old setting that's not compatible trying to be applied. I might be paranoid there I don't know. Anyway, I might as well post up my info. Here goes.

Version: Simply Stunning 2.0.3 w/ 5-slot 1GHZ Kernel

SetCPU:

Default - 800MHZ max / 250MHZ min
    Charging - 550MHZ max / 250MHZ min
    Sleep - 550MHZ max / 125MHZ min
    Power < 35% - 550MHZ max / 250MHZ min
    Battery > 42C - 550MHZ max / 250 min

Apps (Most used):

SetCPU - Overclocking action

TempMonitor - set to refresh every 10 seconds in the notification panel

Auto Memory Manager - set to Aggressive profile

Root Explorer - Awesome file explorer

SportsTap - I use the widget to easily track all my fav teams

MountUSB - one touch mounts/unmounts your SD card

Bloo - Keeps my Facebook addiction at bay

FIOS Remote DVR / FIOS Mobile Remote - The 1st remotely manages DVR and the 2nd turns your phone into a remote control. Very cool.

Home Screens:

Left - Sports Tap, Pandora, and SetCPU widgests along with various root type shortcuts

Middle (main) - News and Weather Widget, Power Widget, Helix Launcher 1.2a

Right - Quick Dial Contacts and various other shortcuts

Thoughts:

My phone runs very well. I was OC'd to 1GHZ but temps were going low to mid 40's so I dropped down to 800MHZ which puts me in the high 30's max and I don't notice a difference in speed. Have been on Chevy's ROM's for awhile now with no plans to switch.
  16. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

Appreciate the heads up on the contact thing b4 I jacked mine all up. Normally I don't worry about contacts anyways. As mentioned Google has it all for me.....lol. Just to be safe tho once a week I just export all my Google stuff to my laptop.

As for your other thought about contacts haven't tried exporting like that but it is now on the list and will be another test I'll do when I mess with MyBackup Pro hopefully later today.

I'll post all my settings once I get done with trying some of this out.
  17. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

To report back as I got busy last night NO GO on restoring contact ringtones via System backup in MyBackup PRO. I only did a quick test this am. Should have time this evening to actually mess around with it as I need to do a full wipeout of my Droid anyways. Either way tho if ringtones are the only thing I have to set after a wipe out I can live with that and would be a happy camper.
  18. pullmehome

pullmehome New Member

To the people are having issues with contacts showing up from fb gamil etc their is an option somehwere in the all contacts folder or something that tells it to only show contacts with a phone number worked gret for me and kept all my real contacts even ones only with an email address that sounds like your issues
  19. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

Z06 I saw in another thread that you are using Greek's Launcher 2, it looks really nice and I would like to give it a try.... but I can not find it anywhere, don't suppose you have a link as to where we could find it?

Thanks

Jay
  20. myz06vette

myz06vette New Member

Sure Jay. It's over on AllDroid.

Launcher2 Latest Betas

I've actually stopped using it a few weeks back. Was having stability problems. Although, if you've updated to SS v2.2, Chevy thinks Launcher2-style launchers should be more stable, namely Helix Launcher2. But give Greek's a try and report back. I'd use it again myself if I knew it was reliable and wasn't going to cause force closes.