apps 2 sd card

granitemon

Reaction score
Hope I'm not starting a thread that already exists, but I can't find specifically what I'm looking for.

I really love the concept of moving apps to sd card. Until I figure out how to move them ALL over, I've just been doing it one at a time.

Wasn't really paying attention to memory until today when I downed google earth. The app is about 20MB. I noticed after the move that it only moved 6MB, and that about 14MB was still on my internal memory.

I figure it has to leave something behind, but that's. A lot of left over baggage!

Is there any way to move the entire app? Or at least more than 15% of it?

And, as a side note, I'm at 165MB internal. At what point does low memory start affecting things?

Thanks
Moto droid, non rooted, frg22d

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rooting is your way to go, it seems, for all to go.

I have a document for changing it so apps will go to the sd card by default, but again it's rooting.

I don't have Google Earth for just that reason. I don't use it and it takes a lot of space.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The 20MB is the download size of Google Earth, the install size is around 15MB the SD card should store just over 14MB and Data will keep about 92KB

Look in settings/applications/manage applications and click on Google Earth the Application size is what is on your SD, the Data size is what's stored in your system

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The 20MB is the download size of Google Earth, the install size is around 15MB the SD card should store just over 14MB and Data will keep about 92KB

Look in settings/applications/manage applications and click on Google Earth the Application size is what is on your SD, the Data size is what's stored in your system

Really? Looking at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/74072-new-version-google-earth-released.html they say the opposite. I'd say to look at the application before and after the "move to SD."

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
aaf709, I accepted your challenge and you were right ;)

Disregard my initial post unless you are seeking wrong information

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do agree with Rooting though, UD does an amazing job at Space Conservation within the System

OP
G

granitemon

Reaction score
Actually if I go into "manage applications," I can switch back and forth between "all" and "on sd card". The same size shows up in BOTH places, and fot google earth, which I've now dumped, was showing
14 in both.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to move all apps to card? I've seen there's something to download, and then several steps to go through.

If anyone can mail me that download (if that is indeed the case,) as well as some idiot proof instructions

Thanks so much
Mark (moto droid, non rooted, frg22d)
Email. [email protected]

dboss007

Reaction score
Actually if I go into "manage applications," I can switch back and forth between "all" and "on sd card". The same size shows up in BOTH places, and fot google earth, which I've now dumped, was showing
14 in both.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to move all apps to card? I've seen there's something to download, and then several steps to go through.

If anyone can mail me that download (if that is indeed the case,) as well as some idiot proof instructions

Thanks so much
Mark (moto droid, non rooted, frg22d)
Email. [email protected]
I'm rooted and I've not yet found what the specific issue is with Google Earth. It's basically indicating 15 MB on both my SD card and my internal memory but I can't find where anything substantial is installed on the internal memory for this app. I'll update if I find anything but I may just end up uninstalling. The performance hit just isn't worth it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I suspect that for some reason, there's a bug in Google Earth where "move to SD card" instead copies it to the sdcard, and leaves the original copy intact on the internal device memory.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
And, as a side note, I'm at 165MB internal. At what point does low memory start affecting things?

Thanks
Moto droid, non rooted, frg22d

I start to worry if I get below 30MB or so....... 165MB is pretty good, right now i'm sitting at about 58MB free.