applications

jenny19

Reaction score
how do i remove unnecessary apps from my phone, like the city, id app and the scrabble app, etc... apps that were pre installed on my phone that i do not want.

Seabee

Reaction score
Can you explain what a root is

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums App

hoppie

Reaction score
Can you explain what a root is

Rooting is the process by which obtain further "rights" to change certain locked settings on your phone. think of it as getting admin. privileges in Windows or "jail-breaking" an iPhone. There is an app called z4 root that will do it for you. Don't know if it's still in the market. If not let me know, I probably have copy someplace.
I suggest you do a little reading though as usually you don't want to delete the bloatware unless you create a backup first. Better to just rename them so they don't show up in your App Drawer. Rooting gives you LOTS of abilities which if you're not careful with can totally brick your phone. That having been said, it does let you add some pretty cool apps as well as customizing it better. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to overclock and have some themes or ROMs for this lil phone like they do for the DX too.

Seabee

Reaction score
I downloaded the z4root program and when I clicked on temporary root all it did was download su what do I need to do to delete the applications that came with tge phone

hoppie

Reaction score
I downloaded the z4root program and when I clicked on temporary root all it did was download su what do I need to do to delete the applications that came with tge phone

Like I said, you may want to look at some of the posts on Rooting before you start messing around. However, what you want to do is get PERMANENT root. Then download Root Explorer and install. That will let you manage the files on your phone. Go to /system/app... You'll see all or most of the files on your phone there.
There are several posts on what files correspond to what apps. They all end in the extension .apk. What you'll want to do is rename them (not delete-safer this way) to the extension .bak. That will remove them from your app drawer but you can always bring them back if needed.
Can't stress enough though, look at the threads regarding rooting and removing bloatware before you start doing this..You want to make sure you don't do something that will kill your phone.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Unroot and then run "Permanent Root" or root will be lost whenever you reboot your phone.
As far as apps go, I recommend NOT removing them...this can cause a major headache! I'd suggest getting Titanium Backup Pro and freezing them instead :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App