Applications Restore After Wipe

JamesX

Reaction score
It might be different between factory reset and new phone. Because my Free Apps were not saved on a new phone.

phone

Reaction score
It might be different between factory reset and new phone. Because my Free Apps were not saved on a new phone.

I'm confused what do you mean by, "different between factory reset and a new phone?" My phone was a month old. I wiped the sdcard and reset it myself and all my apps were saved, free and paid.

JamesX

Reaction score
Factory Reset just resets your phone's memory. You still have the same SD Card, the same ESN, the same ROM, the same RAM, etc.

A new phone (such as a replacement phone) will not have the same anything except in design specs.

Because when I replaced my phone I didn't get my Free Apps back. I had to redownload it. Your Free Apps history is not saved to your Gmail account. I think it is only saved on your phone somewhere. That is the only logical reason I can come up with why Factory reset would preserve it, while a new phone logged in to your Gmail account did not.

Last edited:

phone

Reaction score
Factory Reset just resets your phone's memory. You still have the same SD Card, the same ESN etc.

A new phone (such as a replacement phone) will not have the same ESN and the SD Card.

Because when I replaced my phone I didn't get my Free Apps back. I had to redownload it. Your Free Apps history is not saved to your Gmail account. I think it is only saved to your SD Card. That is the only logical reason I can come up with why Factory reset would preserve it, while a new phone logged in to your Gmail account did not.

Interesting. I actually did two factory resets. The first time I just wiped it and all my apps were back. The second time I uninstalled all apps, formatted the sdcard and then did the second reset. The second time my phone came up, all my apps were gone, but my custom wallpaper was back in place. At first I thought the card didn't format correctly, but after installing Astro and taking a look, the card had in fact been wiped clean. So there's some "profile" being saved somewhere, other than the phone. Unless there's some secret partition on the sdcard..... I have no idea.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Factory Reset just resets your phone's memory. You still have the same SD Card, the same ESN, the same ROM, the same RAM, etc.

A new phone (such as a replacement phone) will not have the same anything except in design specs.

Because when I replaced my phone I didn't get my Free Apps back. I had to redownload it. Your Free Apps history is not saved to your Gmail account. I think it is only saved on your phone somewhere. That is the only logical reason I can come up with why Factory reset would preserve it, while a new phone logged in to your Gmail account did not.
This has been bugging me since I for one can't figure out why this app backup "feature" is so inconsistent. There have been several reports that some user did in fact get all their apps back after getting a replacement phone. When I got my replacement phone I didn't get very many apps back just 4 free games that I downloaded. I also did 3 Factory resets and also did not automatically get my apps back...I'm stumped I'm resorting to manually backing up my apps for now/just in case the back doesn't work (which it hasn't yet lol).

mas90guru

Reaction score
I can't figure this out either. Due to faulty voice quality I've had 4 replacements.

The first Droid I received directly at Verizon and as I was sitting in my car in the parking lot ALL of my application (free and paid) as well as bookmarks and wallpapers restored.

Subsequently I have not been able to get the Droid to automatically restore again. Each additional device I've had to go into manually and re-download the applications.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I did a reset, some of the free apps were there, but no all.