Applications randomly crashing

leftspin

Reaction score
I'll open this up just by saying that I'm on Android Version 2.3.4, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9-g55626e1w30471@il93lnxdroid08 #1, rooted and running liquid.shadow.20110713.105704, Liquid Gingerbread v2.3

Last night I was outside in the dark and went to turn the "torch" flashlight on from the Power Control widget when I got the dialog "The application Torch (process.net.cactii.flash2) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." I opened the application from the app drawer and got to the main screen of the app, and when I tried to turn the flashlight on the same message popped up. I then force quit the application, cleared its data and tried again but the same thing happened. I also rebooted my phone but still encountered the same problem. When I try to toggle it on and off from the Power Control widget, the icon doesn't change and on my notification bar it says Torch is running. Before this started happening, every time I turned the phone on I would get a dialog saying that Droid Overclock quit unexpectedly, and I would have to delete the widget from my homescreen and put it back for the app to work. In addition to these two, LauncherPro will often crash and have to restart. Anyone know what to do about it?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You might wanna upgrade to Liquid 2.6 instead of trying to troubleshoot 2.3.

Droid Overclock is really buggy, especially on 2nd init ROMs.

CM74DX

OP
leftspin

leftspin

Reaction score
I reflashed Liquid 2.3 and that seems like it fixed the problem, but I actually didn't know there was a Liquid 2.6 so I'm gonna look into upgrading right now

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I reflashed Liquid 2.3 and that seems like it fixed the problem, but I actually didn't know there was a Liquid 2.6 so I'm gonna look into upgrading right now

Yeah, its Android 2.3.5. :)

CM74DX

OP
leftspin

leftspin

Reaction score
sorry to start this thread back up, but it happened again. Everything was working fine until a few minutes ago when I plugged my phone into my computer to transfer a few pictures over and USB storage just wouldn't turn on. Tried rebooting the phone and when it started back up I was seeing the same issues I did last time this happened (applications crashing, torch stuck, etc). Last time this happened I reflashed Liquid 2.3 and everything went back to normal, and then a little after that I flashed Liquid 2.6 and everything worked for a few days and now this. Could this be an issue with Liquid that would be solved permanently with a ROM change, or am I looking at something that I'll have to keep handling the same way and hoping it stops coming back?

Reaction score
Do you have a bunch of apps installed on your SD card? I used to have all of my apps on my SD card, but I had the same issue. When you plug your phone into your computer it unmounts the SD from the phone and bam, everything starts acting funny. Considering that your phone has more than enough memory for apps to reside on the phone, if you don't already have your apps on the phone, I'd recommend moving them back there.

OP
leftspin

leftspin

Reaction score
I actually only have one application installed to my SD card, QR Droid (which I rarely if ever use and don't even remember moving it to my SD) so I don't know if that's the issue. It might be worth mentioning that I installed and switched to a new theme but then switched back to my old one right after I noticed that the USB storage function wasn't working again. Could that theme have had something to do with it? I also noticed that both times this happened it was after having the phone plugged in to this computer using this cable. Could any of that be the cause?

*edit* I ended up just reflashing Liquid again... everything seems to be working fine for the time being although I'm afraid to plug it into this computer again in case it does the same thing a third time. If it does happen again I'll be trying out other ROMs to see if the problem continues or if it was a Liquid bug

OP
leftspin

leftspin

Reaction score
So it happened again, and I think I finally figured out the cause. I was out and my phone died, and when I came home and plugged it in the first thing it did after booting was give me the Torch FC dialog. It seems like every time the battery dies, something gets screwed up. At this point I really don't know what to do other than switch ROMs and hope it doesn't happen anymore with a different one. :icon_evil: I'm about to try Liberty, unless anyone else has a suggestion?