1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

applications on phone, not listed under my apps in the market

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Larry_ThaGr81, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

This was a issue for me for as long as I can remember, but I didn't think anything of it because I figured I would still be notified if a update was available for a app that I had installed on my phone, but that isn't the case.

As stated in the title I'm missing applications under my apps in the android market that are on my phone. Does anybody know how to get those applications to show up again. I can only see roughly a third of the apps I have downloaded and when I searched for google maps, it popped up as needing to be updated. I should have seen this when I clicked on my apps, but it too is one of those missing apps.
  2. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

I found this by running a google search, maybe someone can shed some light on this.

"Hi all,

I'm an Android developer from the XDA forum & VillainROM.co.uk. I've primarily worked on the Hero, but I received my Desire yesterday.

I can confirm that I too am missing several apps from the market. I also have an answer to your question.

First things first, it's protected apps that are missing from the market. There are generally two reasons why apps will be missing from the market.

When a new ROM/Phone is released, the manufacturer, in this case HTC, sends the build to Google, which includes a 'Fingerprint' (a unique line of text which governs its market access) in the build.prop file. Generally, it states the name of the phone and Android version in the fingerprint. With Root & system write access, this fingerprint can easily be changed... but we don't have that luxury right now.

Once Google approve the build, the fingerprint will be added to their allowed database to view protected apps on the market.

The other cause for apps missing from the market in builds (such as twidroid, layar, barcode scanner etc) is that these apps require permissions to use the camera/auto focus. They are NOT protected apps. If the XML permission files are missing from system/etc/permissions, then Google Market will simply block these apps from showing.

So again... to answer your question... we'll see the protected apps as soon as either:

a) HTC chase up Google
    b) Google get around to activating the fingerprint"
Search tags for this page

android apps not listed on apps grid

app not listed under use cellular data for