Applications automatically starting/running in background

shytnik

Reaction score
I had the droid incredible for a short period of time and traded within my 30 days for the X. With the incredible when I hit the Advanced Task Killer, it killed all the running apps and they did not start back up unless I started them. With the Droid X I kill all apps, then open it again and immediately the Music and voice commands are already running again. Within a minute the Social Networking, messaging, Text messaging, Alarm & timer, all kinds of apps are running, even when I have done nothing to start them, haven't received any messages, etc. Half the time they are things I have never used like the stupid Amazon MP3 which was preinstalled. When I leave it sitting over night, by morning there are about 20 things running. I have tried to go into the individual apps like the alarm (which is not even set) and the music and see if there is a setting I missed or something that is trying to update and therefore starting them. I have it set to check for mail once an hour, no push on, (wifi, GPS, bluetooth) are all off and I only turn them on when I need to. I can't figure out why all these apps are constantly starting on their own and running in the background. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Any suggestions?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

maidmarianiii

Reaction score
I asked about this problem and was told, if a ringtone goes off, music is used, therefore will show up, so many apps use each other, and turns them on. If you have a animated home screen, everytime you turn on phone it has to run apps to run that page and so on.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right, the OS loads stuff to run in the background so that your phone has a speedy response when you try to do something, like open maps or play music. Most of the time, the apps sit idly and use virtually NO battery/CPU so you shouldn't worry about them.

Sure, live wallpapers do use resources because they're animated. Save a little (or a lot) of juice by using static wallpapers.

If you install a lot of widgets or download a lot of apps from the market that run in the background, your phone will get laggy. The best thing to do is uninstall them and find a better alternative. When I install new software I always reboot the phone to see if anything is running on startup without need. If so, I uninstall and find an alternative.

darkgnite

Reaction score
i noticed the same thing happened to me today. i was working all day with my headphones plugged in listening to my music and i noticed my battery was low after charging all night...went into my task killer, facebook and everything was running when i haven't opened them. my phone went dead in a 4-6 hour time period because of this problem.

other than "not using task killers" what is the real solution to fixing this?

jcorvan

Reaction score
I just read this very useful info and I had a question. I have noticed that my battery was draining for than usual and I installed TIKL - touch to talk and a few others that do not have an exit button.

In ready a post on battery life, it says, among other things, to not have many programs open concurrently. Well, if you don't kill them as suggested one not do, then how do you keep them from running if you cannot exit them?