Application updates

Reaction score
Being vary new to the smart phone family I am slightly confused regarding just how downloading paid applications works.

Case in point: A few days ago I made my first paid commitment to Beautiful Widgets which I love by the way! It was $1.46 I think. I was under the impression that it was a ONE time fee.

My confusion began when I received a notification tonight that there was an update for BW. I quickly chose to update but then was concerned when I received a message at the end of the update that thanked me for my purchase.

By doing the update did I just spend another $1.46?

Any tips regarding applications and or updates would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No need to worry. Updates are not charged again. I have not seen any app that has charged for one yet.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
No you never have to pay again, it will always say its purchased from now on...even if you uninstalled it and then reinstalled it later it will be free

pmas

Reaction score
Each purchase is a one time purchase. In fact, if you replace your phone, your apps will all be there on your new phone once you sign in under your gmail account. I have no idea why you received that message but I would look at google checkout and see if you were in fact charged twice. Chances are, you were not. Updates to apps, BW included, are free.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed. I had the G1, and only ever bought ONE app, I switched to an Alltel phone for a few months, then got the Droid, and went to buy the app again only to find out that my purchase still counted and I could download it for free!

As for the message you received, I'm betting it was a message IN THE APP. A lot of apps have a popup when they update that let's you know what's new.

Because your update is the same thing that someone who's buying the app for the first time would be downloading, I'd put money on the dev keeping the thanks for purchasing message in there.