Application to sync Mac and Android

Seth

Reaction score
I have recently come across an issue that I need to sync several things between Android and Mac, just contacts and calendar. Is there a free software to help me?
There's one, SyncMate (btw quite fine for syncing purposes), but it seems that it's necessary to sync with Google and then Google does the syncing with Android, not very convenient, so, does anybody know a direct way?

xmnj

Reaction score
The missing sync from markspace.com is supposed to support this on the Motorola Droid soon. Why not have address book and iCal sync up with Google, just go into preferences and enter your Gmail information. I have it setup this way and it works great. I can update either my Droid, Mac, or Gmail account and all devices get the update.

soyboy

Reaction score
+1, sync with Google and let it do it's thing, no need for additional software. BTW As a Mac user, for itunes - Droid I use Doubletwist and it works well, I just make up a folder of music I want to sync on itunes and sync that with the Droid (I have about 25,000 songs on itunes so I cannot sync them all, others may be able to to that).

xmnj

Reaction score
For iTunes, I'm using Salling Media Sync, it hooks right into iTunes. The free version does a full sync all the time you connect so it can take some time, the full version remembers what it synced last.

http://www.salling.com/MediaSync

pdxrealtor

Reaction score
It sounds like the last two posters are saying to use Gmail like you would an exchange server.

Are there storage limits on Gmail?

Can you sync your notes and to do lists with Gmail?

Can you setup POP accounts on Gmail?

This caught my attention, and I ask, because I have a Mac as well. I currently have just switched over from using MS Outlook, but still use an exchange server, which I pay 18.00/month for.

If I can integrate Gmail and nix the Exchange server that would be pretty cool!

By the way... new DROID user as of today! ;)

xmnj

Reaction score
It sounds like the last two posters are saying to use Gmail like you would an exchange server.

Are there storage limits on Gmail? 7GB, you can pay for more space.

Can you sync your notes and to do lists with Gmail? not too sure as I don't use them.

Can you setup POP accounts on Gmail? Gmail can do POP or IMAP

This caught my attention, and I ask, because I have a Mac as well. I currently have just switched over from using MS Outlook, but still use an exchange server, which I pay 18.00/month for.

If I can integrate Gmail and nix the Exchange server that would be pretty cool!

By the way... new DROID user as of today! ;)

Are there storage limits on Gmail? 7GB, you can pay for more space.

Can you sync your notes and to do lists with Gmail? not too sure as I don't use them.

Can you setup POP accounts on Gmail? Gmail can do POP or IMAP

I am a mobileme user as I had an iPhone before, but Gmail was able to fill the void.

pdxrealtor

Reaction score
Thanks..

Your answer brings up another question.

With IMAP/POP accounts, does Google instantly "push" the mail through as it comes in?

7 GB worth of storage- is that mail contacts, everything?

I just looked and for what I pay 18.00/month for I get 4GB of storage. It is a true exchange server though. What would I be missing with Google?

Downtime? Server/storage crashes??

This has really got me interested.....

xmnj

Reaction score
Thanks..

Your answer brings up another question.

With IMAP/POP accounts, does Google instantly "push" the mail through as it comes in?

7 GB worth of storage- is that mail contacts, everything?

I just looked and for what I pay 18.00/month for I get 4GB of storage. It is a true exchange server though. What would I be missing with Google?

Downtime? Server/storage crashes??

This has really got me interested.....

It's everything from my understanding. As far as the Droid goes, all email is pushed instantly, I'm using K9-Mail for instant push of my other IMAP accounts. I know there were a few outages a few months back with Google but I feel the reliability overall is excellent.

drdave

Reaction score
We're devoted MAC users but also happy with Verizon service and contemplating Droid or Eris phones. Need to sync with our MACs: iCal, Address Book, iPhotos, iTunes, occasional (legal or home-made) movies. Is Missing Sync (as it comes out with the new version) the only game to sync all of these at once without using multiple software programs for music, contacts, etc.? How much more work is it than using iTunes (on an iPod Touch or iPhone)?

smcafee

Reaction score
hey i just got my droid yesterday and i want to know can you sync the apps from the droid to gmail.

OP
S

Seth

Reaction score
Thanks for all the prompts. I'll compare the suggested solutions, sure there'll be something that suits me.

drdave

Reaction score
syncing Eris with MACs

Thanks...I got an Eris and we have been able to pull over things from iTunes, iPhoto, and iCal. Haven't figured out how to sync Address Book yet, however. Nothing is magically smooth as with the iPod Touch, of course, takes a little effort. If you have ideas about syncing contacts (Address Book) or how to to things more automatically, please let me know!
DM