Application Storage vs Internal Storage Question

jpblock82

Reaction score
Install launcher pro, and witness ur redraw woes disappear. The first few days I had my D3, I tried to stock home/blur launcher and wasn't happy with it.. setup LP and boom.. pure satisfaction. The 512MB is plenty, and perhaps a later update for blur will improve these issues... but don't count on it. When D3 gets rooted, that's when this beast will truly shine. Gone will be the blur overlay, bloatware, etc and in turn, freed up resources.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

PuneE

Reaction score
..and my complaint about the SD partitioning is that they limited us to roughly 1.5+GBs for apps, w the other partitioned as a virtual SD card.

while 1.5GBs may seem like an abundance & a non-issue at this point, we have to keep in mind that app size has increased dramatically in the past yr. Iv read in the past few months that the market will soon support apps hundreds of MBs in size (if not already so), might have even said GBs. Having a 1.5GB cap out of a 16GB Internal Memory makes me nervous coming from a Droid1 where they thought 256MB ROM would be more than sufficient to support apps before Apps2SD was made available in Froyo. & even now still using my D1, having push every possible app I could to SD, even pushing ones that arent officially App2SD support, Im still struggling keeping my ROM 30+MB Free (u get the low memory alert @ 25MB & some srvcs like txt msging gets suspended).

Why cant they just keep it simple the way it already works best and leave one lump of memory w/o the partitioning? Why should i even have to hassle w App2SD when Im spose to have 16GB of internal? & now I have to juggle files between a virtual SD and the actual extSD. grah~!!

Im anxiously waiting for root so we can finally "FIX" this issue.

jpblock82

Reaction score
..and my complaint about the SD partitioning is that they limited us to roughly 1.5+GBs for apps, w the other partitioned as a virtual SD card.

while 1.5GBs may seem like an abundance & a non-issue at this point, we have to keep in mind that app size has increased dramatically in the past yr. Iv read in the past few months that the market will soon support apps hundreds of MBs in size (if not already so), might have even said GBs. Having a 1.5GB cap out of a 16GB Internal Memory makes me nervous coming from a Droid1 where they thought 256MB ROM would be more than sufficient to support apps before Apps2SD was made available in Froyo. & even now still using my D1, having push every possible app I could to SD, even pushing ones that arent officially App2SD support, Im still struggling keeping my ROM 30+MB Free (u get the low memory alert @ 25MB & some srvcs like txt msging gets suspended).

Why cant they just keep it simple the way it already works best and leave one lump of memory w/o the partitioning? Why should i even have to hassle w App2SD when Im spose to have 16GB of internal? & now I have to juggle files between a virtual SD and the actual extSD. grah~!!

Really???? The roughly 2GB for just apps seems plenty... more than enough really.. what do u intend to install that could use so much data?? On my D1, only once did I have, "your running out of room"... and that was a simple fix.. moved 'em to the SDcard..

darkmatter

Reaction score
I really like how moto did the memory for the d3. When you do apps2sd it puts it into the media storage. So, in a way, you still get 16gigs to install apps, while being able to swap out sd cards at will.

My d1 I never removed my sd card because I was afraid of what would happen with all my apps moved to sd card. You don't get that with d3.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

PuneE

Reaction score
I really like how moto did the memory for the d3. When you do apps2sd it puts it into the media storage. So, in a way, you still get 16gigs to install apps, while being able to swap out sd cards at will.

My d1 I never removed my sd card because I was afraid of what would happen with all my apps moved to sd card. You don't get that with d3.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

My view on it is if you have 16GB internal mem, there just shouldnt be a need to push apps2SD w such an abundance of internal. App2SD was a development to bypass the low internal mem issue, which isnt an issue w the D3. It's nice to have that option there, especially for phones w low int-Mem, or if you REALLY REALLY bloated your phone w apps to fill up 16GBs. in the meantime, apps data would still store onto your extSD like normal so if your phone ever craps on you, at least you still have most of your data recoverable on your SD when u move to a new phone (tho some app data wont pick up on a new device).

When my brother/sister/Sis&Bro-in-law all got the D2G w an 8GB internal & i was loading them w apps, i didnt bother pushing anything to SD. Why jump thru extra hoops to fetch data when it can all be in the same place w/o issue?

PuneE

Reaction score

Really???? The roughly 2GB for just apps seems plenty... more than enough really.. what do u intend to install that could use so much data?? On my D1, only once did I have, "your running out of room"... and that was a simple fix.. moved 'em to the SDcard..

I agree w you, 2GBs seem plenty enough. I cant imagine using it all up even if I dont push any apps 2 sd at all even w the other 20+ apps I never installed on my phone b/c I ran out of space. But my point being, we dont kno how app size will grow in the next yr. The android ecosystem is making some pretty big leaps & app size can easily explode to where an app mite take up as much as 200MBs even after push. A good portion of apps cant even be pushed unless you have a custom ROM to allow universal Apps2SD. Then you have 40MB apps like WinePHD that installs as a read only and cant be pushed at all even w custom ROMs.

As an attempted power user that wants all the cool apps to make my phone pop, a father of 3 kids that want a variety of games to keep them entertained, & personal user that wants to play different games myself depending on my mood & situational allowance, and as someone who just lives an adult life like everyone else trying to use apps to manage and organize everything that goes on, I've easily built up on 190+ User apps to add on to w/e apps comes stock w the phone. 261 MBs of internal on a custom ROM just didnt cut it for me & My phone was alerting low mem by 6mo.s of ownership. & admittedly Im a little of an app horder. but at the same time, if i kno I'll use the app even just once every 2mo.s i dont like the idea of installing it on a need2use basis. usually, when i need it, it kinda needs to be there ready for deployment.

but ultimately, the point being, why even bother to partition the internal memory at all to 2GB apps + 11.5GB virtualSD. It's just creating extra steps to use the same space form the same place, meanwhile creating issues w appdata storage locked into the phone unless I manually move it to my extSD or OUT of my phone altogether. Sure, it's an easy fix or workaround, it's not rocket science... but why create a problem just so I can create a solution?

NismoDHS

Reaction score
Hey, so quick question. My sister-n-law has the Motorola Droid 2...and I just purchased the Droid 3. Her Droid 2 has either 8 or 16 GB of internal space which I assume is where her apps are stored since she does not have the seperate 2GB set aside like the Droid 3 has. So it seems that if someone wanted to download more than 2GB of apps that DO NOT have the option to move it to the media area/sd card, then the Droid 2 could do it and the Droid 3 could not. I know that is not likely to happen, but is that correct?