Application install failure

knoxxiv

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could shed some light on this highly annoying issue that I'm having. Starting last week I have been having issues installing/updating apps on my Verizon Droid. They download but get the "Installation unsuccessful" error. I have tried everything I could think of and have searched the forums and nothing seemed to work. If anyone has any ideas please send them my way. I'm getting desperate.

Below is a list of what I have tried so far so as to not waste anyone's time:
-Cleared cache and data from market in manage applications
-Unmounted and remounted SD Card
-Power down, pulled then reinserted SD card
-Cleared cache/data of app that I was trying to update
-for a new app I was trying I had a friend with a MyTouch 3G slide try to install it and it worked fine on his phone

Thanks,
Knoxxiv

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
First :welcome: to the forum.

Second, you said Verizon Droid, can we assume you're talking about the A855? Also, since you posted here in the stock section, we can assume that your phone is not rooted, right?

Now, which apps exactly are you having trouble with?

OP
K

knoxxiv

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. That's correct A855 not rooted. A couple apps I was having an issue updating were movies by flixter and alchemy. Angry Birds won't install. Funny thing is I was able to install the updated YouTube app with no issues.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
One last thing, the apps are downloading fine, just failing on the install, right?

Well, I'm going to kind of shoot into the dark here, because I've been rooted since root was woot, but I've read that you can go through your phone's menu system to settings -> applications -> manage applications select the 'all' tab at the top. Then go to the applications that won't update and clear the data and cache for them.

As for Angry birds, hmmm. Maybe go ahead and clear data and cache for the market and try that, especially if clearing data and cache for the individual apps above doesn't work to update them.

good luck

OP
K

knoxxiv

Reaction score
The apps download fine, I get error on install. I already tried clearing the cache and data with no luck.. Thanks for the suggestion though.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Hmmm, well you could try uninstalling the apps that won't update and then download and install the updated version. Otherwise I guess that's all I have, short of rooting the phone, but you'd still have to get your hands on the .apk files for the apps in question. Sorry. Although there was a widespread market problem yesterday and might still be going on today . .

good luck

OP
K

knoxxiv

Reaction score
I uninstalled and reinstalled a few. That seemed to work but it shouldn't be necessary. Oh well. I'm still having an issue installing angry birds though. Never have been able to get that to work. Downloads then says unsuccessful install

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Go into setting: applications: select all up top and go into market and clear data.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
K

knoxxiv

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have tried that several times already with no success. I also just did it again with my fingers crossed this time. Still no luck. :(

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Does it just do this over 3g or have you tried it with wifi as well?

Sent from somewhere...

OP
K

knoxxiv

Reaction score
Fails both ways. Issue doesn't seem to be the download. It seems to download fine, just gets "installation unsuccessful" error.. been like this for a couple weeks...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Was thinking bad download won't install.....trying to think what else would cause these to fail.....

Sent from somewhere...

OP
K

knoxxiv

Reaction score
Once in a while I get the "unknown -18" error. But usually just says unsuccessful. This has me stumped. The market has been acting funky for me for a few weeks.

blunik

Reaction score
I'm having similar issues, not even one specific app. Sometimes they download and install fine, other times it hangs on the download, or download pauses. I cancel and keep trying, most of the time they eventually download and install. I was getting install unsuccessful errors about a week ago. Today, when updating handcent sms it downloaded but never installed. Data and cache cleared MULTIPLE times with no results...

I'm dying to know what the problem is, its driving me insane!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
In your case I think it might just have to do with the market itself. I've been having a little trouble with it as well here and there lately, but things have mellowed out now. You just have to deal with the market on it's own terms sometimes.

good luck